sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 31, 2022 10:17 pm  #1

Did TVO Rebrand Its Stations?

Did anyone else notice this? My DVR displays the logos of the stations in its TV Guide, along with the names, and I just noticed that it just started listing Channel 19 as "TVO.me." What does the "me" stand for? According to its website, "Media Education." I'm not sure when this happened, but their website shows a host of different services I've never heard of under the ".me" brand

There's TVO ILC, which apparently is short for "Independent Learning Centre." It offers high school subjects and lets graduates take online courses that can help improve their chances of getting into college or university, or aid them in getting a diploma. Among those on tap online: science, math, English and biology. 

TVO Learn is for kids from kindergarten to Grade 12 and follows Ontario's curriculum, while TVO Kids is where the younger crowd can watch the network's children-oriented shows. 

Finally, TVO Today is the main website for the station, with info on its shows like The Agenda.

I had no idea the station had split itself into so many parts. I'm not sure who's funding all this, but I suspect it's us through our tax dollars. Perhaps that's the true "me" in TVO.me.

January 1, 2023 2:34 am  #2

Re: Did TVO Rebrand Its Stations?

Rogers Ignite guide is still listing TVO as TVO.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 1, 2023 11:03 am  #3

ILC has been around for a century providing correspondence courses and was merged into TVO by the Harris Tories twenty years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Learning_Centre

I don't know what you're complaining about, the rest is just rebranding of things TVO has done for decades.

Last edited by Hansa (January 1, 2023 11:05 am)

January 1, 2023 11:35 am  #4

I didn't mean it as a complaint. I'd just never seen that logo before and it led me to explore other areas they've gone into that I'd never seen before. I suppose I'm just not a frequent TVO viewer. 

January 1, 2023 7:11 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I didn't mean it as a complaint. I'd just never seen that logo before and it led me to explore other areas they've gone into that I'd never seen before. I suppose I'm just not a frequent TVO viewer. 

"I'm not sure who's funding all this, but I suspect it's us through our tax dollars." - that sure sounded like a complaint and my point is this isn't an expansion of TVO but just a reorganization of their branding. I doubt the Ford Tories increased their budget at all.

[Edited: Whoops, too many "re"s.]

Last edited by Hansa (January 1, 2023 8:52 pm)

January 1, 2023 7:55 pm  #6

Hansa wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

"I'm not sure who's funding all this, but I suspect it's us through our tax dollars." - that sure sounded like a complaint and my point is this isn't an expansion of TVO but just a reorganization of their rebranding. I doubt the Ford Tories increased their budget at all.

TVO is also viewer funded, so I doubt taxes are looking after the full picture here...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 1, 2023 8:10 pm  #7

They actually ask for tax deductible contributions on their website. Not sure how much that gets them, but it's a lot subtler than the PBS method.