sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 30, 2022 11:39 pm  #2

Re: Barbara Walters has died

I remember when she was a serious TV journalist. But the last several years of here career were spent just doing celebrity interviews.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

December 31, 2022 12:18 am  #3

turkeytop wrote:

I remember when she was a serious TV journalist. But the last several years of here career were spent just doing celebrity interviews.

She was so good that Saturday Night Live just had to parody her... 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 31, 2022 10:22 am  #4

When we got connected to cable, about 1968, she hosted "Today" with Hugh Downs.

December 31, 2022 7:06 pm  #5

And though your cable and DVR listings may say The Lion King will be on ABC Sunday night, that's now been replaced with a Barbara Walters tribute special. It airs from 8-10 PM in case you're interested. 

December 31, 2022 8:55 pm  #6

Ale Ont wrote:

When we got connected to cable, about 1968, she hosted "Today" with Hugh Downs.

And then she and Hugh Downs co-hosted 20/20 on ABC starting about a decade later.

I wonder times the same co-hosts have fronted different shows on different networks?

January 1, 2023 4:09 pm  #7

There was also a short stint co-anchoring ABC Evening News alongside Harry Reasoner, back at a time they were a solid third behind Cronkite and Huntley/Brinkley.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQHQ7nfwK4I

January 1, 2023 4:19 pm  #8

Reasoner deeply resented Walters, not only because she was a woman but also because she was being paid double what he was getting to lure her away from NBC. There was an obvious tension between the two right from the start that never went away.

On the ABC tributes Saturday, Walters recalls that when she was on Today after Hugh Downs left, she was restricted to asking just one question during any live interviews - and only after new host Frank McGee had been able to ask three!

The loophole was that the edict only applied in studio. If she was out in the field, it was fair game. She said only those "Barbara Walters Specials" saved her, because they became enormously popular, despite skeptics asking "who wants to watch a woman interviewing both politicians and celebrities on the same show?"

I always liked Reasoner, but he certainly seemed un-Reasoner-able about having her as a co-host. Although I suspect the huge pay difference probably really stuck in his craw, more than the fact she was a woman.

January 1, 2023 4:47 pm  #9

Back in 1976 when CTV lured Lloyd Robertson away from CBC,  the network offered him the then large sum of $100,000 per year. To their credit the network reportedly also increased Harvey Kirks wage to the same amount.  This made for a happier on air marriage. 

January 1, 2023 9:44 pm  #10

https://twitter.com/meyer_lucas/status/1609029966561251329?t=IgKf3on7wZObCxpwL5qLQg&s=19

how terrific that this was put together while Ms. Walters was there in person to see her powerful impact on broadcasting

January 1, 2023 9:47 pm  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

She was so good that Saturday Night Live just had to parody her... 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cm1Xy_LJd8b/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

this is Barbara Walters on how she felt about the parody, it's a glimpse of the human being behind the professional