sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 27, 2022 12:39 pm  #1

Exits Lead To Speculation About The Future Of Late Night Talk Shows

An interesting think piece about what happens to the traditional late night talk shows on U.S. network TV, now that Trevor Noah is gone from The Daily Show and James Corden gets set to leave The Late Late Show.

Is there still a future for the pre-bedtime yakkers or will something (or nothing) else take their place? And could Seth Meyers really be the new Lorne Michaels once the latter leaves Saturday Night Live?

As Late-Night Prepares For Major Overhaul, What Does 2023 Look Like For Evening Talkers?

December 28, 2022 1:53 am  #2

Re: Exits Lead To Speculation About The Future Of Late Night Talk Shows

=18pxWhat a lazy column.  Seth Myers says he doesn't want to take over SNL but the article ignores that and says he will anyway.  There's no word on who will take over the Daily Show but this writer crowns two correspondents as new hosts, John Oliver hasn't said anything about leaving HBO, yet this article says he will.

=18pxThis sentence says it all: Jimmy Kimmel signed a new contract to continue hosting ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live!, after deliberating about leaving the nightly slog, Jimmy Fallon is a year into a new deal hosting NBC’s The Tonight Show and Stephen Colbert continues comfortably at the top hosting CBS’ The Late Show=18px with few expecting him to leave any time soon.

=18px​Late night is solid for the foreseeable future.  There will be changes around the edges as there always are but no one who tries to change the format ever succeeds.  Monologue, desk bit, interviews.  That's the formula.

December 28, 2022 8:01 am  #3

Tomas Barlow wrote:

​Late night is solid for the foreseeable future.  There will be changes around the edges as there always are but no one who tries to change the format ever succeeds.  Monologue, desk bit, interviews.  That's the formula.

Does it not have as much (if not more) about (aged) demographics of audiences, than show content?    In other words, the couple who would never miss Johnny Carson at 11:00 p.m. may now be in the sack at 9:00 p.m.

December 28, 2022 10:49 am  #4

Mrs. C, good point lol. In my experience, if I happen to still be up to even watch the first minutes of any of these shows, I rarely know who any of the guests even are. 

December 28, 2022 11:11 am  #5

mic'em wrote:

Mrs. C, good point lol.

I believe it's Ms. C. Marital status undisclosed. 

December 28, 2022 12:54 pm  #6

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Late night is solid for the foreseeable future.

The ratings decline suggests otherwise, as does CBS aiming to slash their 12:30 budget in half. 

December 29, 2022 2:03 am  #7

Then why do all of the 11:30 pm hosts have long term deals?
If the ice is cracking why not do one year deals?
Ratings are down, just like all of network TV but it’s cheap programming compared to a scripted episode of the same length.

December 29, 2022 5:11 am  #8

In time, some of those talk shows will be replaced by overnight news. Already there on most nets and it will just go back and absorb the time slots of talk shows. 

The only one that will last IMHO will be Jimmy Kimmel. 

BTW - many have told me I do not possess an HO    :-) 

December 29, 2022 12:01 pm  #9

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Then why do all of the 11:30 pm hosts have long term deals?
If the ice is cracking why not do one year deals?
Ratings are down, just like all of network TV but it’s cheap programming compared to a scripted episode of the same length.

I don't disagree, I just disliked the use of the word "solid." I don't think these shows will disappear tomorrow, but clearly they're on shaky ground. It wouldn't surprise me if the hosts have taken a pay-cut from their initial salaries. If you're a staffer at one of these shows, you'd be feeling a lot better in 2012 than you would be in 2022 with regards to job stability and the future of the format.