sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 25, 2022 12:30 pm  #1

A TV Critic Is Forced To Rely On His Antenna After Cable/Web Outage

I got a real kick out of Alan Pergament's Christmas Eve column in the Buffalo News. The veteran TV critic noted he had an Internet and cable outage from a storm hammering the Niagara Frontier and was 'forced' to go back to watching television the old fashioned way - via antenna. He then went on to critique and praise the coverage from the three major Queen City TV stations, which he was watching OTA. 

Sometimes the ancient back-up is the best! 

TV critic goes old school to critique local weather coverage

December 25, 2022 1:59 pm  #2

Re: A TV Critic Is Forced To Rely On His Antenna After Cable/Web Outage

Interesting that he had difficulty receiving WKBW. I would have thought 2, 4,7, 17, 29, 49 would be all be clearly visible in the Metro Buffalo area. However, the columnist may reside outside of suburban Buffalo.

December 25, 2022 2:20 pm  #3

Re: A TV Critic Is Forced To Rely On His Antenna After Cable/Web Outage

I was surprised to read that, too, but I guess a lot depends on where he lives and what direction his antenna is facing.

And just because it's local doesn't necessarily mean it comes in well. I've suddenly developed a terrible time trying to get Global, even though it's a strong signal off the CN Tower, with a strength at 100. But the signal quality is sometimes 14, 9 or even zero, frequently leaving me with either a black screen or tearing and dropouts in the sound and picture. 

It seems impossible to figure out why it simply won't come in, no matter where I move the antenna, but this has become an issue. It's not serous, because I rarely watch Global, but it's certainly strange something so strong and nearby just refuses to provide a decent signal to my location.