sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 24, 2022 8:40 pm  #1

The 40 Greatest Christmas Records You’ve Never Heard

From Variety, comes this list of songs that are not just underplayed, but never played. I have to admit I didn't recognize a single one of them, including one from Brenda Lee that's not "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree." (That classic, by the way, was written by the great Johnny Marks. On a beach. In the middle of July. So much for Christmas cheer!)

The 40 Greatest Christmas Records You’ve Never Heard

December 25, 2022 7:00 am  #2

Re: The 40 Greatest Christmas Records You’ve Never Heard

I particularly enjoyed the Ramsey Lewis rendition of Here Comes Santa Claus. Because I resent having "Holiday Hits" rammed into my ears for 8 hours on my work days, my absolute favourite Christmas song is Bob Rivers The Twelve Pains of Christmas.

December 25, 2022 10:59 am  #3

Interesting article. There was one that I had heard before, because Roger Ashby had played it on his oldies show: Nut Rocker, by B. Bumble and the Stingers. But he didn't play it on a Christmas show, which is consistent with it not having been released originally at Christmastime. It entered the Billboard Hot 100 on March 3 1962, and peaked at #23 on March 31. It's a great tune, and I do think that it would be good to play at this time of year. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone here on the forum.

December 25, 2022 11:05 am  #4

I've brought this up before, but there are a small number of songs that get played at Christmas that have absolutely nothing to do with the holiday. One that sticks out to me is "It Doesn't Have To Be That Way" by the late, great Jim Croce.

It wasn't really a single when it came out in the early 70s, but it makes a passing reference in the lyrics to "crowded stores, the corner Santa Claus, tinseled afternoons." That's really the only seasonal reference in the song, which otherwise has nothing to do with the holiday. Yet it's become a common Christmas song despite the fact it was never intended to be a Yuletide ditty. Still, I'm sure his heirs welcome the royalties every year.  

December 25, 2022 12:54 pm  #5

It Doesn't Have To Be That Way was originally released as the B-side to One Less Set Of Footsteps in January 1973, but after Croce's death in September it was rereleased in Dec. 1973 as the A-side of his second posthumous single. It entered the Billboard Hot 100 on Dec. 29, and peaked at #64 on Jan. 19 1974. It's always reminded me of Pretty Paper, another beautiful song that contrasts the general atmosphere of Christmas celebrations with those who are feeling sadness at this time. 

December 25, 2022 3:01 pm  #6

Like my last insurance claim, this list is entirely reasonable. I was tipped off to a New Jersey college station that's currently playing live Christmas music through until 6 PM. It's been an eclectic listen so far.