sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 19, 2022 12:54 pm  #1

New CRTC Chair Named & Will Face Some Big Challenges

Goodbye Ian Scott - don't let the door hit you on the way out. The feds have named a new CRTC chair, who will be taking over in the New Year. Her name is Vicky Eatrides, and she has a background at both the Competition Bureau and Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

She starts her 5-year-term January 5th, and hopefully, will be a lot less beholden to the Big Telcos than her predecessor, a former Telus lobbyist.

She also has a major challenge ahead of her, once the controversial Bill C-11, that, among other things, forces CanCon onto major Internet video services, passes into law.

CRTC gets new chair with broadcasting regulator in spotlight over contentious bills

December 20, 2022 12:34 am  #3

Re: New CRTC Chair Named & Will Face Some Big Challenges

She talks a good game. We'll see if she puts any of it into action. I'll believe it when I see it. But she has to be better than Ian "Mr. Telco" Scott. At least I hope she is. 

December 20, 2022 1:10 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Goodbye Ian Scott - don't let the door hit you on the way out. The feds have named a new CRTC chair, who will be taking over in the New Year. Her name is Vicky Eatrides, and she has a background at both the Competition Bureau and Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

But does she have any knowledge of broadcasting?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

December 20, 2022 2:06 am  #5

turkeytop wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Ha Ha Ha   That no longer seems to have anything to do with the CRTC. Remind me again what those letters stand for? 

December 20, 2022 8:01 am  #6

Marsden wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Ha Ha Ha   That no longer seems to have anything to do with the CRTC. Remind me again what those letters stand for? 

CRTC= "Causes Really Tremendous Chaos."

December 20, 2022 10:45 am  #7

Her credentials likely include " once listened to the radio"!