sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 18, 2022 4:01 pm  #31

Re: Who This Woman?

Today, neither of the nominal 'hosts' are there.  What a train wreck.

November 18, 2022 4:03 pm  #32

Actually, I was listening on Friday. I like it better without either of them.

November 18, 2022 5:04 pm  #33

RadioActive wrote:

Agreed.  The 'Train Wreck' is when the hosts are actually present.

November 18, 2022 5:07 pm  #34

RadioActive wrote:

So do I.

"Secret" auditions for a new, more listenable duo in this slot? I know it's a constant thing in radio not to take TOO much vacation as you always have to be looking over your shoulder for the replacement outshining you or management thinking the replacement(s) have more traction.

November 22, 2022 12:36 pm  #35

Walter wrote:

Last Wednesday Deb and Reshmi got into it over the EAs, their pay and pensions.  Reshmi was close to losing it about underpaying someone who has to train for 2 years, settle for 39K a year and hope at the end of it all the pension is enough.  Deb then very calmly explained that a lot of EAs, that she knows personally, choose that career because it is part time and they can be with their children afterschool and during the summers.  The pay is part-time pay but the career works for those she knows.  Radio-silence.  Reshmi didn't say another thing.  Deb threw to traffic and the rest of the show was quite strained.  I mentioned to my husband that I would be very surprised if both of them were on the show the following day.  And sure as s**t Reshmi called in sick at the last minute and Mark Towey had to fill in because he was already in studio. 

So that could offer some sort of explanation about her absence. 

November 22, 2022 5:44 pm  #36

Dan Riskin, science guy on 1010, is co-hosting today, Tuesday November 22nd, and with Reshmi who is back on-air on Newstalk.

He's doing a good job navigating and piloting the show, doing the intros at times.

Last edited by betaylored (November 22, 2022 6:07 pm)

November 22, 2022 6:01 pm  #37

DaCosta wrote:

Walter wrote:

Last Wednesday Deb and Reshmi got into it over the EAs, their pay and pensions.  Reshmi was close to losing it about underpaying someone who has to train for 2 years, settle for 39K a year and hope at the end of it all the pension is enough.  Deb then very calmly explained that a lot of EAs, that she knows personally, choose that career because it is part time and they can be with their children afterschool and during the summers.  The pay is part-time pay but the career works for those she knows.  Radio-silence.  Reshmi didn't say another thing.  Deb threw to traffic and the rest of the show was quite strained.  I mentioned to my husband that I would be very surprised if both of them were on the show the following day.  And sure as s**t Reshmi called in sick at the last minute and Mark Towey had to fill in because he was already in studio. 

So that could offer some sort of explanation about her absence. 

She can call in sick permanently, as far as I'm concerned.

December 5, 2022 6:59 pm  #39

The obnoxious one strikes again. On Monday, Reshmi Nair had on Tom Korski, a journalist who's been working in the business for some 40 years. He has vastly more experience than she does, and boy did it show during her interview with him. The issue they were arguing about concerns Blacklock's Reporter - an online subscription-only news site - trying to find out which publications and stations receive government subsidies and how much they each get.

For that and other alleged violations, Korski claims he was led out of the Parliamentary Press Gallery by an armed cop on Monday. That story naturally led to an interest in a group of journalists apparently at war with each other. 

When an angry Korski had a few choice - but clean - words for those behind his ouster, Nair got on her high horse, and loudly proclaimed, "If I badmouthed my competition on air, I'd be fired!" When Korski questioned that statement, she boldly repeated it. And then, she repeated it a third time with an imperious air. "I'd be fired!" she vowed, in a voice filled with extreme self-importance and what bordered on know-it-all arrogance.

All this, as usual, while barely letting her guest get a word in edgewise. 

After the interview - if you can call it that - ended, Reshmi then went on mic and said she'd just received an email from management telling her she wouldn't be fired if she badmouthed the competition on air. So much for her self-assured bluster. 

Man, is she awful to listen to. I wonder if she'd be fired for getting so many things wrong so often. Apparently not. 

By the way, if you're interested in the story that sparked this argument in the first place, Korski appears every Tuesday and Thursday on Alex Pierson's show on AM 640. The next appearance should be a real lulu.

Blacklock’s Eviction By Police

December 5, 2022 7:29 pm  #40

Now that Matt Gurney is co hosting it’s like Matt and Supriya all over again

I wish we could some how get alerts on days that she’s off. Any guest hosts are better than this

December 5, 2022 9:43 pm  #41

RadioActive wrote:

On Monday, Reshmi Nair had on Tom Korski, a journalist who's been working in the business for some 40 years.

To be fair, he does come across as a bit of a c-nt.

December 5, 2022 10:01 pm  #42

I find him hilarious, but your mileage may vary. And that doesn't change that fact that Reshmi was 100% wrong in her assertion about being fired, no matter how many times she arrogantly repeated it to him.

The purpose of Korski's site, as I understand it, is to reveal the waste and the secrets that go on in Ottawa that no one else finds. They do that by getting hold of documents and reading every single word in them, most of it buried under pages and pages of bureaucratese. That's why no one else has the time to do it. But there is often gold hidden in them thar pages that's easily missed. Their specialty is finding them and bringing them to light, kind of like what the Auditor General does in his/her annual report. 

I guess if you're a fan of the current government, that makes him suspect. But their business model, as I understand it, is to go after whoever is in charge. If that turns out to be a different party one day, I hope they'd be just as aggressive in their criticism. After all, if you're going to pay around $400(!) a year for a subscription, you're going to want to get your money's worth. 

I have no idea what went on at the Press Gallery to justify his expulsion. But that's a pretty drastic thing to do, especially for the first time in history, not to mention having a cop with a gun involved. I'm sure they could have resolved this some other way, but it's clear his colleagues don't like Blacklock's muckraking. Which oddly enough, is kind of why I appreciate him.

I will certainly be listening to his segment on 640 Tuesday to hear his side of it - something we didn't get during his appearance with the imperious Ms. Nair on The Rush. 

December 6, 2022 1:06 am  #43

Mr magoogain wrote:

I wish we could some how get alerts on days that she’s off. Any guest hosts are better than this

How sadly true.

December 9, 2022 4:09 pm  #44

Mr magoogain wrote:

Here's an alert: Scott Reid and Richard Crouse are in on Friday. Not a Reshmi in sight (or more likely earshot!)

You can tell the holidays are coming. On AM 640, Oakley was off last Friday and took Thursday and Friday off this week. Arlene Bynon in the air chair there. 

December 9, 2022 5:18 pm  #45

RadioActive wrote:

Here's an alert: Scott Reid and Richard Crouse are in on Friday. Not a Reshmi in sight (or more likely earshot!)

I notice in promos they're running this week (with a clip from a guest host's turn) on 1010, there's a subtle change in lead-in and lead-out read: simply "The Rush" and later "The Rush, weekdays from 2 to 6 pm on Newstalk 1010!"   No mention of Nair and no mention of MacArthur.

I don't think I'll read too much into that as a change of direction for the show or anything (website branding is always as it's been), as promotion spots for the program with its name and host names has often been a bit inconsistent and with the guest hosts lately it might not make sense to name either host (especially if the audio clip just heard wasn't either of them!) - and it will get worse with the Christmas-to-New Year's stretch fill-in.

December 13, 2022 7:24 pm  #46

After 2 and a half months of a 'co-host' being absent, shouldn't the situation be addressed in some way by the station? 

December 13, 2022 7:37 pm  #47

Walter wrote:

After 2 and a half months of a 'co-host' being absent, shouldn't the situation be addressed in some way by the station? 

Maybe his car is still in the shop waiting for parts. 

December 13, 2022 8:09 pm  #48

Do they even refer to him on air anymore? Or is it like the mysterious disappearance of Ryan Doyle a while ago, where someone was "in for Ryan" until finally they just stopped mentioning his name.

I actually checked Scott MacArthur's Twitter and Instagram pages on Monday and there have been no updates of any kind since late September. So whatever's going on, he's maintaining, you should pardon the expression, radio silence.

I just hope it's not a health issue. That would be a real shame. Hopefully, if and when he returns, he'll explain his long absence. 

December 13, 2022 9:16 pm  #49

RadioActive wrote:

Do they even refer to him on air anymore? Or is it like the mysterious disappearance of Ryan Doyle a while ago, where someone was "in for Ryan" until finally they just stopped mentioning his name.

Seems to be the standard operating procedure with Bell.

If he's taking some kind of mental or physical health leave (or life event, i.e. death of a parent or something), I suppose the actual reason is none of our business. However, everyone presumed Jim Richards was terminated until he re-appeared with his evening show and stated "I was never fired, mental health is a personal issue" or words to that effect. A simple social media profile update "Taking some personal time" or "On leave currently" would be enough to quash endless speculation.

If he was terminated because that show failed to get any traction, he's probably in negotiation for severance and the first thing lawyers will do is ask you to be quiet on social media to avoid making any statement that might compromise damages, non-compete clause, etc. while that's being worked out (what I'm assuming was the Ryan Doyle situation, but just a wild guess).

I can't speak to much of 1010's programming day, but the branding spots that I've heard (as noted in my post above) are increasingly "The Rush - from 2 to 6 pm!" and mentioning neither host.

The average person (not radio watchers like us) are tweeting various things like the below and zero answer from Bell or Reshmi.

Most disingenuous of all (as noted elsewhere on this board), suddenly Reshmi is the new best friend (judging from the tone of the ads, which sound hastily recorded with poor fidelity) of realtor Lino Arci which previously had Scott doing the reads. Lino suffered the Ryan Doyle endorsement and departure that got redone with Jay "Mad Dog" Michaels I believe. Talk about hitching your horse to a moving post!

December 19, 2022 5:45 pm  #50

They'll find Jimmy Hoffa, before listeners ever find out what happened to MacArthur.

December 19, 2022 6:45 pm  #51

I almost choked the other day when Reshmi Nair was doing a show with Scott Reid. She was lathering on the praise of her temporary co-host and he kept interrupting her because he doesn't like compliments.

And then she said to him: "Stop talking over me!"

Pot, meet kettle.

January 23, 2023 4:05 pm  #52

I made the mistake of tuning into The Rush on Monday. Reshmi Nair was interviewing Coun. Shelley Carroll about the early opening of warming centres for the homeless. But she kept interrupting the councillor constantly during the Q&A and the politico could barely get an answer in. And the strangest part is that both are pretty much on the same page politically, so it wasn't that they were not in agreement. 

Nair just can't seem to let others talk without injecting herself into the conversation. A good host can let listeners know where they stand on an issue, while letting the guest express their opinion. And they know when to shut up. But she simply seems incapable of doing that and much of the interview, after the first few minutes or so, was both of them talking over each other endlessly. 

It sounded as bad as that description makes it seem. Someone at the station needs to talk to her about this (that is, if she doesn't interrupt them.) It was unlistenable and extremely annoying not to be able to make out what anyone was saying, with both repeatedly talking at once. Thank God Oakley's show is about to start up the dial. He's not #1 on my list, either, but at least he knows how to conduct an interview.  

January 24, 2023 7:55 am  #53

That's why I don't listen to The Rush anymore!

January 24, 2023 11:19 am  #54

I was listening yesterday and just shaking my head during the Shelley Carroll interview.  I am not a fan of Shelley Carroll and usually only listen to her to hear what ridiculous statements she might make.  However, I was appalled at the lack of respect Reshmi had toward her.  Reshmi's exasperated sighs were audible and her constant interruption confused me as to the subject matter at hand.  Yes, I realize it was about opening up the warming centers earlier but other than that I couldn't make heads nor tails.  

January 24, 2023 4:47 pm  #55

Hutton and Gurney were subbing for the remaining host today, who is reportedly 'under the weather'.  Maybe she has the 'MacArthur Flu'?

January 26, 2023 7:25 am  #56

Walter wrote:

Hutton and Gurney were subbing for the remaining host today, who is reportedly 'under the weather'.  Maybe she has the 'MacArthur Flu'?

Funny enough, it was reported this morning she's been out recently due to the fact that she "lost her voice". I guess an interview with Shelley Carroll might go very differently if it were done again. 

March 6, 2023 5:18 pm  #57

It now appears that Reshmi Nair no longer has a co-host on her afternoon "Rush" show on CFRB. Which is unfortunate, because someone should to be there to help keep her honest.

On Monday, after the 4 PM news, she said something on air that made me very glad I was not in my car - because I might have driven off the road.

She came on and boldly declared that she'd worked for Rogers, the CBC and Bell radio stations in her career, and the one thing any journalist like herself always tries to do is present both sides of an issue. And she claimed when that doesn't happen, it's because a guest from 'the other point of view' has refused to come on to express his or her opinion. 

What had me screaming at the radio was the one thing she didn't say. "Or have a host who will talk over you endlessly in order to prevent you from presenting that alternate point of view if I don't agree with it." And then be hung up on because all too conveniently "we're out of time."

She's endlessly guilty of this, of course, and I can only hope the extreme hypocrisy of her statement wasn't lost on those unlucky enough to be listening. 

March 6, 2023 5:51 pm  #58

do you think deep down she's trying to get removed from doing afternoons on 1010, it sounds like she's deliberately sh*t-disturbing under the guise of "being a journalist" while going solo, going so low as to hint about a situation taking place off air

March 7, 2023 8:03 am  #59

Perhaps, no one wants to work with her. 

March 7, 2023 10:23 am  #60

Ever since John Tory quit the afternoon show 8 years ago to be mayor, it has been a never-ending gong-show mishmash, and it has now hit an all-time low.  I thought the drive-home program was a key time slot?  1010 treats it like some overnight wasteland of no importance.