sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 17, 2022 11:22 pm  #31


Re: Who This Woman?

Walter wrote:

Put a fork in this turkey, and start again, again.

Agreed. When it launched, I was willing to give "The New Rush" every benefit of the doubt - at least they appeared to be investing in an afternoon drive duo without the same familiar hosts or pumping in province-wide syndicated content. The chemistry didn't quite "gel" but I thought, give it time - not easy to fling two new people together and expect instant rapport.

I've given up now and I'm willing to throw 1010 on in the background at almost any time. It's basically unlistenable. It hasn't improved with age and I find Nair overbearing on that program, brash with callers, and MacArthur is essentially interviewing her for her takes. (Incidentally, I quite liked Nair on her TorontoMike'd appearance - electric, intelligent, and a different dynamic entirely.)

I still applaud the experiment even if it's not working - didn't work, whatever "tense" you might ascribe to a program where the future seems unmapped with MacArthur being totally MIA/AWOL, for what, week 6?

 

November 18, 2022 4:01 pm  #32


Re: Who This Woman?

Today, neither of the nominal 'hosts' are there.  What a train wreck.

 

November 18, 2022 4:03 pm  #33


Re: Who This Woman?

Actually, I was listening on Friday. I like it better without either of them.

 

November 18, 2022 5:04 pm  #34


Re: Who This Woman?

RadioActive wrote:

Actually, I was listening on Friday. I like it better without either of them.

Agreed.  The 'Train Wreck' is when the hosts are actually present.
 

 

November 18, 2022 5:07 pm  #35


Re: Who This Woman?

RadioActive wrote:

Actually, I was listening on Friday. I like it better without either of them.

So do I.

"Secret" auditions for a new, more listenable duo in this slot? I know it's a constant thing in radio not to take TOO much vacation as you always have to be looking over your shoulder for the replacement outshining you or management thinking the replacement(s) have more traction.

 

November 22, 2022 12:36 pm  #36


Re: Who This Woman?

Walter wrote:

Today, neither of the nominal 'hosts' are there.  What a train wreck.

Last Wednesday Deb and Reshmi got into it over the EAs, their pay and pensions.  Reshmi was close to losing it about underpaying someone who has to train for 2 years, settle for 39K a year and hope at the end of it all the pension is enough.  Deb then very calmly explained that a lot of EAs, that she knows personally, choose that career because it is part time and they can be with their children afterschool and during the summers.  The pay is part-time pay but the career works for those she knows.  Radio-silence.  Reshmi didn't say another thing.  Deb threw to traffic and the rest of the show was quite strained.  I mentioned to my husband that I would be very surprised if both of them were on the show the following day.  And sure as s**t Reshmi called in sick at the last minute and Mark Towey had to fill in because he was already in studio. 

So that could offer some sort of explanation about her absence. 

 

November 22, 2022 5:44 pm  #37


Re: Who This Woman?

Dan Riskin, science guy on 1010, is co-hosting today, Tuesday November 22nd, and with Reshmi who is back on-air on Newstalk.

He's doing a good job navigating and piloting the show, doing the intros at times.

Last edited by betaylored (November 22, 2022 6:07 pm)

 

November 22, 2022 6:01 pm  #38


Re: Who This Woman?

DaCosta wrote:

Walter wrote:

Today, neither of the nominal 'hosts' are there.  What a train wreck.

Last Wednesday Deb and Reshmi got into it over the EAs, their pay and pensions.  Reshmi was close to losing it about underpaying someone who has to train for 2 years, settle for 39K a year and hope at the end of it all the pension is enough.  Deb then very calmly explained that a lot of EAs, that she knows personally, choose that career because it is part time and they can be with their children afterschool and during the summers.  The pay is part-time pay but the career works for those she knows.  Radio-silence.  Reshmi didn't say another thing.  Deb threw to traffic and the rest of the show was quite strained.  I mentioned to my husband that I would be very surprised if both of them were on the show the following day.  And sure as s**t Reshmi called in sick at the last minute and Mark Towey had to fill in because he was already in studio. 

So that could offer some sort of explanation about her absence. 

She can call in sick permanently, as far as I'm concerned.