sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 28, 2022 6:21 pm  #1

Can’t Hear What Actors Are Saying on TV? It’s Not You, Probably

I find I'm watching TV a lot more often with the closed captioning on than I ever thought I would. And no, I'm not hard of hearing.

It takes a bit of getting used to it and if it's not done right or lags behind, it can be a real pain. But whoever came up with the bright idea to put the speakers in back of your TV (and worse, your laptop!) should be thrown in the television brig and made to try to discern their own show's dialogue!

Still, there are advantages - the name of a tune and the group performing it is often displayed, something you wouldn't know if the captions aren't on. There are also instances where the dialogue has been changed and you see what it originally was. And in one case, I recall watching a series where someone had a tape stuck in their old clunker of a car's cassette player. 

The CC showed "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" by Elton John & Kiki Dee was playing. But what viewers heard was "Love Will Keep Us Together" by The Captain and Tenille onscreen. Apparently, producers didn't get the rights to the tune, so they had to substitute and it wasn't in time to change the captioning. A fascinating little insight you wouldn't have known about without the captioning!

Anyway, here's the article on muffled TV audio from The Wall St. Journal and why not hearing what's appearing may make you reluctant to believe your eyes and ears.

Can’t Hear What Actors Are Saying on TV? It’s Not You, Probably

November 28, 2022 6:44 pm  #2

Re: Can’t Hear What Actors Are Saying on TV? It’s Not You, Probably

And I thought all this time it was just me.

When I watch Blue Bloods, sometimes I find the the actors speed through their lines or they get muffles by other noise and I need to listen again or read it off the closed-caption feed.  Maybe it's just that I'm getting older (ok.old) and my hearing ain't what it used to be, but I find younguns' generally tend to speak quicker.

Speaking of which, I was at a funeral this weekend at the local Polish church.  I speak Polish but I found the young Polish priest was going through the Polish parts very quickly.  (his English was fine) I'm not really a churchgoer.  I turned to my brother sitting beside me who is more fluent that I am and asked if it was my imagination or was he speaking very quickly.  He said it wasn't me.  He does speak it rather quickly.  

November 28, 2022 6:48 pm  #3

I never use my tv speakers. My system is set up so that my television sound comes through my 43 year old AR-14 speakers. No problem hearing the dialogue.

November 30, 2022 2:27 am  #4

I'm finding there's a huge difference between the loudest and quietest sounds on a lot of shows and movies these days.  You have to turn it up to hear the whispery dialogue and then next scene has an airplane landing that nearly blows you across the room.  I'd like a little compression on some of what I'm watching.

November 30, 2022 2:46 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I find I'm watching TV a lot more often with the closed captioning on than I ever thought I would. And no, I'm not hard of hearing.
It takes a bit of getting used to it and if it's not done right or lags behind, it can be a real pain. But whoever came up with the bright idea to put the speakers in back of your TV (and worse, your laptop!) should be thrown in the television brig and made to try to discern their own show's dialogue!

They do it because TV companies WANT you to buy A SOUNDBAR! https://www.walmart.ca/browse/electronics/audio-home-theatre/home-speakers-sound-bars/sound-bars/10003-6000199041663-30584-30580?utm_medium=paid_search&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=always_on&cmpid=SEM_CA_177_NOMM6MA0FI_71700000086814979_58700007388273918&gclsrc=aw.ds%2Caw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm-_466XV-wIV2dmGCh28oAJTEAAYASAAEgIc0fD_BwE

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.