sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 24, 2022 5:34 pm  #1


Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

Maybe I missed this somewhere, but it's worth asking if someone here knows: has anyone officially replaced John Derringer on the Q107 morning show? It was August 9th when Corus officially parted ways with its longtime morning man, after several women came forward with allegations of mistreatment at his hands. He hasn't really been heard from since. 

Nearly five months later, their website still does not display a name in the "shows" section for the all-important morning shift. In fact, the time slot isn't even listed. The on-air outlook starts with Joanne Wilder at 10 AM and continues for the rest of the day. But there's not a single mention of mornings. 

I have no idea who's subbing this long, because it's not really a station on my radar at that time of day. But whoever is filling in does not appear to be the permanent choice, or else I assume he or she would be prominently featured on the site. Did I miss an announcement? If so, who is the current morning host? If not, what in the world is taking them so long to find someone? Half a year is a very long time to wait. 

 

November 24, 2022 6:01 pm  #2


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

Swing host Dan Chen has been filling in.

Derringer's co-hosts are still employed, but not on the air.

There's a pretty strict hiring freeze.

The HR review isn't complete.

It's complicated.


 
 

November 24, 2022 8:05 pm  #3


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

I’ve heard there will be a new morning show starting in January. I recently heard that a bunch of changes are coming throughout the GTA and southern Ontario with Corus and certain stations. Essentially stations like Y108 and Fm96 will mostly be the same. They already share mornings and middays. Rumor is afternoons will also be shared and then there will be a host moving elsewhere and someone else coming to Q from a different station. Basically nobody will be hired. Just a bit more sharing of talent and moving existing bodies around. So nothing to exciting from my understanding. Probably a cheap way to get by until they stop paying out the Derringer severance

 

November 24, 2022 8:24 pm  #4


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

RadioAaron wrote:

Derringer's co-hosts are still employed, but not on the air.

Can you say what they are doing??
 

 

November 24, 2022 9:08 pm  #5


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

mikew wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Derringer's co-hosts are still employed, but not on the air.

Can you say what they are doing??
 

Nothing. Pretty sweet deal!


 
 

November 24, 2022 9:44 pm  #6


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

RadioAaron wrote:

mikew wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Derringer's co-hosts are still employed, but not on the air.

Can you say what they are doing??
 

Nothing. Pretty sweet deal!

At least until the deal runs out. Once the investigation is completed, they'll probably have to do some serious pounding of the pavement, as Q is most likely going to want to rid themselves of any remnants of Derringer. Even if they're technically found innocent, this stain is probably going to follow them around for quite a while. Which is a shame, because ordinarily working in the country's largest market would be the crown achievement on anyone's resume, and now they're probably going to have downplay it somewhat. And, unlike Derringer, neither of these guys are likely to get paid a large sum of money to "go away", at least not large enough to retire from radio.



PJ
 


ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!
 

November 24, 2022 9:51 pm  #7


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

Paul Jeffries wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

mikew wrote:


Can you say what they are doing??
 

Nothing. Pretty sweet deal!

At least until the deal runs out. Once the investigation is completed, they'll probably have to do some serious pounding of the pavement, as Q is most likely going to want to rid themselves of any remnants of Derringer. Even if they're technically found innocent, this stain is probably going to follow them around for quite a while.
 

Nah, they'll be fine. There's virtually no negative public perception around them. All that matters is Derringer and whichever management scapegoat they decide on.


 
 

November 24, 2022 10:47 pm  #8


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

RadioAaron wrote:

Nah, they'll be fine. There's virtually no negative public perception around them. All that matters is Derringer and whichever management scapegoat they decide on.

You're probably right, although it'll be interesting to see whether Q107/Corus plans to throw anyone else under the bus, just for good measure (and good PR).

Basically, it'll boil down to economics, whether Q considers these guys to be assets or liabilities, and also whether it's more economical to keep them on or let them go. Even though these guys don't likely have the fancy-schmancey legal team like Derringer, they've probably been doing radio long enough to know where they stand from a legal perspective. The public perception that they're a couple of poor schmucks that got stuck between a rock and a hard place may very well work in their favour.


PJ
 

Last edited by Paul Jeffries (November 24, 2022 10:50 pm)


ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!
 

November 25, 2022 3:25 am  #9


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

Or maybe one possible option to save money is to have the Wolf morning show from Peterborough do both Q & Wolf? That should save some money...assuming the Wolf morning show is ready for the Toronto market...


RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

 
 

November 25, 2022 10:44 am  #10


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

I don't know who listens to Q107 in the morning these days, but I will say for a good while (this is a long time ago), my old boss and colleague Jeff Brown had an excellent connection with the Q audience. I think a morning show with him, Ryan, and Garbutt would make for a fun listen.

 

November 25, 2022 10:52 am  #11


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

Radiowiz wrote:

Or maybe one possible option to save money is to have the Wolf morning show from Peterborough do both Q & Wolf? That should save some money...assuming the Wolf morning show is ready for the Toronto market...

I have it on very good authority that Peterborough is not Toronto.


 
 

November 25, 2022 11:28 am  #12


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

Listened to Q the other day...the playlist is all over the place I went from an Arkells song to Heart, to Collective Soul.   I get it though.
The Corus announcers are dreadful   They kind of have this "im bored" tone to them. 

 

November 25, 2022 12:29 pm  #13


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

markow202 wrote:

Listened to Q the other day...the playlist is all over the place I went from an Arkells song to Heart, to Collective Soul. 

Not to mention Pagliaro and Gino Vannelli.


PJ


 


ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!
 

November 25, 2022 1:26 pm  #14


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

Paul Jeffries wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Listened to Q the other day...the playlist is all over the place I went from an Arkells song to Heart, to Collective Soul. 

Not to mention Pagliaro and Gino Vannelli.


PJ

Just checked out your Classic Hits Online station!  Nice!  Bookmarked!



 

 

 

November 25, 2022 1:36 pm  #15


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Or maybe one possible option to save money is to have the Wolf morning show from Peterborough do both Q & Wolf? That should save some money...assuming the Wolf morning show is ready for the Toronto market...

I have it on very good authority that Peterborough is not Toronto.

Right. Sure. & London is the new Steeltown. Thank-you for your input.


RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

 
 

November 25, 2022 1:43 pm  #16


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

markow202 wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Listened to Q the other day...the playlist is all over the place I went from an Arkells song to Heart, to Collective Soul. 

Not to mention Pagliaro and Gino Vannelli.


PJ

Just checked out your Classic Hits Online station!  Nice!  Bookmarked!



 

 

That's great...I love getting new listeners! Glad you like it!

Thanks! https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/smile.png




PJ
 


ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!
 

November 25, 2022 7:22 pm  #17


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Or maybe one possible option to save money is to have the Wolf morning show from Peterborough do both Q & Wolf? That should save some money...assuming the Wolf morning show is ready for the Toronto market...

I have it on very good authority that Peterborough is not Toronto.

Right. Sure. & London is the new Steeltown. Thank-you for your input.

Was just quoting another poster!


 
 

November 25, 2022 7:23 pm  #18


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

If, as it seems, they have to go internal, I'd go with Sam Stevens of Peggy in Winnipeg along with Ryan and John from the Derringer show.


 
 

November 29, 2022 6:30 pm  #19


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

Saw a Corus statement on MilkmanUnlimited.com. Short and sweet. The investigation has concluded, and they will implement all of the investigator's recommendations.

 

November 29, 2022 8:57 pm  #20


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

 

November 30, 2022 4:18 am  #21


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

which is corporate/legal/PR speak for "nothing to see here, we're going to be vague and dull and boring and give you no loose threads to pull at."

Last edited by betaylored (November 30, 2022 4:19 am)

 

November 30, 2022 7:00 am  #22


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

     Thread Starter
 

November 30, 2022 7:56 am  #23


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fiwc3HQX0AACHQG?format=png&name=small

 

November 30, 2022 2:17 pm  #24


Re: Has Anyone Officially Replaced John Derringer On Q107?

Valentine also had troy reeb in her site but nothing about him, bartrem and jd like frat brothers in the hall..chris Pandoff..suzanne carpenter? scads of blame to go round