sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 22, 2022 6:40 pm  #1

What In The World Is This Radio Commerical/Tag Trying To Advertise?

Not sure if anyone else has noticed a relatively new 15 sec. commercial (sometimes it comes as a tag to a traffic report or a weather forecast) for a service called "Fascinol." At least I think it's called "Fascinol." The copy calls it a 'service' that can help your industry. But it never says what it is or what it does, how it helps your industry, which industry they're talking about or even where to find it on the web. 

In fact, I'm not even sure about the spelling of the name and have been unable to find it on the net. Fascinol? Fasten-All? Fascin-All? I have no idea and nothing I search for ever turns up.

I know the laws on advertising drugs in Canada means being deliberately obscure in spots, but this one has them all beat. Someone has paid for ads about a service that tells you absolutely nothing about what it is or who it's for. Every time I hear this tag, I always wonder exactly what it is.

If this is a teaser campaign, mission accomplished. If not, it's a gigantic waste of money. But it is fascinating. Or should that be Fasinal-ating?

November 22, 2022 6:55 pm  #2

Re: What In The World Is This Radio Commerical/Tag Trying To Advertise?

I haven't heard many of these in Canada, but in the US there are ads that are aimed directly at a particular business or sometimes government. The intended audience is very small, but knows exactly what is being advertised - usually for investment, and using mass media to advertise like that makes the point "we're a big deal and now the public knows our name."

November 22, 2022 7:18 pm  #3

Try this: www.fastenal.ca, an industrial supply company, not to be confused with the over-the-counter medication for disgruntled employees, Fukitol.

November 22, 2022 7:25 pm  #4

Radio Bob wrote:

Try this: www.fastenal.ca, an industrial supply company, not to be confused with the over-the-counter medication for disgruntled employees, Fukitol.

So there it is. Aimed at an audience that already knows what it is, and not necessarily with the goal of direct action. "We've spent x$ on marketing" can look good in a proposal.

November 22, 2022 7:55 pm  #5

No idea.  Don't care.  Speaking of head-scratching commercials, what the hell is that one with singers, that ends up with some guy saying 'I'm Okay!'  I've heard it at least a hundred times, and haven't any idea what it's about.

November 22, 2022 8:02 pm  #6

It's a spot (or a series of them) for Amazon.com's Black Friday and Christmas sales. But it's tough to make it out in the lyrics and I'm frankly surprised a marketer as savvy as Amazon has come out with such a lame campaign. 

November 22, 2022 8:21 pm  #7

Radio Bob wrote:

Thanks for solving the mystery. Next up: a spot where they never mention the name of the company at all or tell you what they do. Imagine how effective that will be! (And good on RadioAaron for successfully scoping out this oddity.)