sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 20, 2022 1:09 pm  #1

Are you going to/did you watch the Grey Cup?

I'll watch, if it's good.

https://twitter.com/mikeinboston/status/1594332774332530689?t=_e9ilDN1mv7USkPKXUChBA&s=19

Go Argos!!

Last edited by betaylored (November 20, 2022 1:11 pm)

November 20, 2022 1:35 pm  #2

Re: Are you going to/did you watch the Grey Cup?

I have no real interest in football, so like the quarterbacks, I'll be passing! 

One item of note - is the Grey Cup the only major sporting championship that's never on free TV anymore? Imagine if the World Series, The Stanley Cup Finals or the Super Bowl only showed on TSN, Sportsnet or ESPN. Yet this is the only deciding contest of its kind that's cable only. 

I remember when the Grey Cup was such a big deal, it aired on both CBC and CTV - at the exact same time! 

November 20, 2022 1:39 pm  #3

IIRC, they switched play-by-play and colour announcers at the half.

November 20, 2022 2:03 pm  #4

The Weed wrote:

IIRC, they switched play-by-play and colour announcers at the half.

I thought the simulcast was uniquely Canadian, but according to Mental Floss, it happened twice in the U.S. with the NFL:

"In 1967, NBC and CBS simulcast the first Super Bowl between the Kansas City Chiefs and Green Bay Packers, which was then called the AFL-NFL World Championship Game. NBC and CBS used the same video feed, but different announcers. 

NBC was still in commercial when the second half kicked off, leading the referee to blow the ball dead while it was in the air. The Packers were asked to kick off again. The simulcast marked the last time that an NFL game was televised on two networks until December 2007, when the league allowed NBC and CBS to show the New England Patriots’ bid to complete a perfect regular season against the New York Giants."

November 20, 2022 2:25 pm  #5

CTV/CTV2/TSN will certainly be owning the ratings today.  CTV/TSN have a large crew in Qatar for the first game of the World Cup. They are treating this like the Olympics with weekday afternoon games on CTV and wall to wall coverage on TSN.  And of course all of the NFL play today along with the CFL championship.

Yes I will be watching the Grey Cup, hope it is a close game but with the Argos victorious. After a layoff from COVID, last year saw a drop in ratings with 3.1 million viewers and a little over 7 million watching part of the game.  Don't know if we will hear of any numbers later in the week.  Actually the Grey Cup gets excellent ratings considering the game is only on TSN/RDS.  Promotion wise this year it was overshadowed understandably by the World Cup on CTV/TSN.

This is the first Grey Cup match up between Toronto and Winnipeg since 1950.

Last edited by paterson1 (November 20, 2022 2:32 pm)

November 20, 2022 4:49 pm  #6

I only watch the Grey Cup if the Argos or Ticats are involved. Cheering for the Argos or in Hamilton's case, any Western team. So today it will be Grey Cup on the tv, Dallas/ Minnesota streaming on my laptop.

November 20, 2022 4:53 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

One item of note - is the Grey Cup the only major sporting championship that's never on free TV anymore? Imagine if the World Series, The Stanley Cup Finals or the Super Bowl only showed on TSN, Sportsnet or ESPN. Yet this is the only deciding contest of its kind that's cable only.

Under the latest American TV deals with the NHL, the Stanley Cup final will only be on TNT in alternating years. That happens to start this season with the 2023 finals. Of course in Canada it will continue to air OTA. 

November 20, 2022 6:41 pm  #8

It was kind of neat when the Argos brought back the old logo a few years ago.  I think one of the coolest sports logos around and unique.

November 20, 2022 11:29 pm  #9

No

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 20, 2022 11:44 pm  #10

November 21, 2022 12:00 am  #11

i missed it. the state of play is bad and will only get worse. 

November 21, 2022 12:14 am  #12

The World Series isn’t on free TV in Canada unless you can get Fox over the air and the NBA championship is cable only as well.

It’s a shame that the Grey Cup radio rights rest with Bell which cheaps out and airs the TV audio. “As you can see at the top of your screen, what a defensive play that was.”
Imagine Winnipegers used to getting radio play by play hearing TSN audio instead of an actual radio broadcast for the Grey Cup.

November 21, 2022 7:01 am  #13

betaylored wrote:

I'll watch, if it's good   

Was it as good for you as it was for me?

November 21, 2022 9:10 am  #14

: )) .. 

November 21, 2022 9:20 am  #15

I did not watch the game.  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 21, 2022 12:37 pm  #16

Good game
Great second half and fantastic finish.
Might be Toronto's only championship for a while

November 21, 2022 4:43 pm  #17

Ms. C. wrote:

betaylored wrote:

I'll watch, if it's good   

If you followed the game on Twitter, then yes.

November 21, 2022 5:20 pm  #18

One thing I did notice about yesterday's broadcast was the fact that the Grey Cup telecast had a fair number of commercials that were new.  Nothing like the Super Bowl but nice to see some new commercials.   Also the telecast was sold well with not a lot of promo.  Some freebees for Crave and TSN especially World Cup, don't recall much or any for CTV.  Didn't know the three country artists on the half time show but it was well done with good sound and camerawork.

November 21, 2022 6:26 pm  #19

paterson1 wrote:

One thing I did notice about yesterday's broadcast was the fact that the Grey Cup telecast had a fair number of commercials that were new.  Nothing like the Super Bowl but nice to see some new commercials.   Also the telecast was sold well with not a lot of promo.  Some freebees for Crave and TSN especially World Cup, don't recall much or any for CTV.  Didn't know the three country artists on the half time show but it was well done with good sound and camerawork.

The band that did the pregame show went over well and probably would have made the crowd alot happier than the American entertainment.

They're called Toque and with a name like that of course they're Canadian, cause if they were from south of the border they'd be Beanie.

But seriously, they have a new song out they played for the Grey Cup, linked below, which will/should be turned into a bumper on certain radio stations.

Good ol' rock music is having a bit of a comeback, about darn time.
https://youtu.be/uXn22uab-Yk

Last edited by betaylored (November 21, 2022 6:27 pm)

November 21, 2022 7:57 pm  #20

The group Valley that also played was pretty good.  However they should have indicated better who the three country singers were during the half time show and what was the significance of them playing together.  Actually one of the three was from Burlington, ON.  Maybe put up a graphic of who they are and what is the song they are singing?  That goes for the pre game bands as well, nobody knows these songs so at least show the title of the song.  Kind of basic stuff. 

Beyond that the game was pretty exciting, or at least the second half.  Some people have commented on some empty seats during the game but all tickets were sold.  Mosiac Stadium said there were quite a few people in and out behind the seats, staying warm and watching the game inside.  Nice day/evening in Regina but cold. 

November 21, 2022 8:26 pm  #21

Ms. C. wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Ms. C. wrote:

If you followed the game on Twitter, then yes.

CFL is gooder on Twitter than on TSN?

and better-er too

November 23, 2022 12:48 pm  #22

Tomas Barlow wrote:

It’s a shame that the Grey Cup radio rights rest with Bell which cheaps out and airs the TV audio. “As you can see at the top of your screen, what a defensive play that was.”
Imagine Winnipegers used to getting radio play by play hearing TSN audio instead of an actual radio broadcast for the Grey Cup.

Opinion: TSN needs to bring back a radio-specific broadcast for Grey Cup