sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 16, 2022 4:59 pm  #1

Rodney Dangerfield's WLS-AM Larry Lujack Spot

Back in the days when radio actually did TV ads, they sometimes hired a ringer to shill the station. Here's a perfect case I found from 1981, with the great Rodney Dangerfield promoting Larry "Superjock" Lujack on WLS, then one of Chicago's biggest rock stations. 

November 16, 2022 5:51 pm  #2

Re: Rodney Dangerfield's WLS-AM Larry Lujack Spot

Speaking of WLS, this TV special about the radio station aired on WLS-TV in 1985. It marked 25 years of the station playing rock and roll. Lots of good stuff in there. 

November 16, 2022 10:12 pm  #3

Great 25th Anniversary video. I remember most of the jocks that worked there. Buell, Stevens and my personal favourite Lujack. His Klunk Letter of the day was appointment listening for me.

November 17, 2022 11:14 am  #4

One of the great radio top 40 stations of all time.  WLS outlasted rival WCFL. The latter dropping top 40 in 1976.  WLS had been criticized for being slow to play new music, often waiting until a song reached Billboard's top ten before airing.  However they are credited with introducing Styx and their album cut Lady to radio. 

In 1985 the station had been sliding in the ratings for a few years and introduced some talk and featured more gold with mellower adult contemporary music.  By 1989 the station was all talk.  Today WLS- AM sits at around #28 in the Chicago ratings with a .09-1.0 audience share with a news/talk format. 

November 17, 2022 12:12 pm  #5

WLS's sister Classic Hits formatted FM station currently sits 8th with a 3.7 share and a cume of 1,162,500. 890's cume is 188,000.