sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 13, 2022 7:40 pm  #1

US Prescription Drug Ads

Unlike Canada, Drug ads on TV are allowed in the US. The fast talking disclaime at the end always says more than the ad itself does.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 13, 2022 8:41 pm  #2

Re: US Prescription Drug Ads

I'm not about to tell my doctor what drug to use on me. He has years of medical education I have none.

November 13, 2022 9:05 pm  #3

One of the most annoying ads is for a drug called Stelara. The ad just shows random people engaged in random activities while some discordant music plays in the background.

A voice over says "Ask your Doctor about Stelara."

There isn't even a hint as to what condition the drug is intended to treat.

November 13, 2022 9:11 pm  #4

What is the legal position when ads that are prohibited in Canada "leak" across the border? i am sure the drug companies factor in the Canadian benefit when placing US ads.

November 13, 2022 10:45 pm  #5

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (November 13, 2022 10:45 pm)

November 13, 2022 11:46 pm  #6

Ian wrote:

What is the legal position when ads that are prohibited in Canada "leak" across the border? i am sure the drug companies factor in the Canadian benefit when placing US ads.

With Canada’s population being roughly a tenth of that of the US, and so much TV programming being simsubbed in Canada, the drug companies likely see Canada as a thin layer of frosting on top.

November 14, 2022 12:53 am  #7

turkeytop wrote:

Unlike Canada, Drug ads on TV are allowed in the US. The fast talking disclaime at the end always says more than the ad itself does.

Drug ads are allowed in Canada. You're just not allowed to say what the drug is for. 
It's 2022 though, not the year that law was first introduced. 
After seeing a "creative" ad for a drug one simply googles the name to find out what the drug if for.
THING IS,
Nobody should ever have to do that in the first place.  
Drug advertising should be the same here as it is in the US, freedom to let people know what it is for and all!! 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 14, 2022 1:11 am  #8

So the ad for Stelara may be aimed at us Canucks. I'll have to ask my Dr about Stelara.

November 14, 2022 5:40 am  #9

One of those crazy drugs is called - Relaxium. The spokesperson in the TV spots is the former Governor of Arkansas Mr. Huckabee. The new Governor of Arkansas is also last name Huckabee. Guess she will have a job to step into after her time in the Governor's chair.  :-) 

Yeah I asked the same question. WTF!

When I lived there Orval Faubus was in charge. 

Last edited by Marsden (November 14, 2022 5:41 am)