sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 12, 2022 11:35 pm  #1

Does anyone actually get any broadcast journalism training anymore?

I don't want to name any names but lately I have listened to one of the major talk radio stations and one particular person has made howler after howler..
During the recent municipal elections this news person talked about the number of "illegible voters"
I guess they made really messy x-es on their ballots.
The person also talked about the number of "electrical" votes.
The other day the person said there was a 21.... gunsalute for Remembrance Day as opposed to a 21-gun salute.
When I started out in broadcasting you'd be raked over the coals for making such mistakes on air.
Instead you hear the same people back on the air just making the same sort of mistakes on and on.
I hate to say it but the people who make these mistakes are of millennial age.
I don't mean to criticize but I worked with a woman of such age who once asked me if I could mail a letter for her because she did not know how.
These are the same ones who coined the term "OK boomer" to apparently show that older people are ignorant and incompetent.
Ha!

November 13, 2022 12:21 am  #2

Re: Does anyone actually get any broadcast journalism training anymore?

Nice things cost money.

November 13, 2022 8:37 am  #3

newsguy1 wrote:

I don't want to name any names   

Why not?

November 13, 2022 8:59 am  #4

electronic media has to only look in the mirror as to why it is losing listeners/views.  I'm tired of listening to "babies" telling me about life and "my era music".  There are bona fide broadcasters residing in the community (who could blow the doors off these people) there maybe driving bus or working at golf courses because of corporate decisions, youth movements, ("we're going in a different direction") and lack of respect for quality who were let go from stations.  There don't seem to be "farm team" radio stations these days, where you build/develop personalities/newscasters much like, back in the day, you'd have CKBB used by CHUM, (I know, I dating myself) however when you got to "the show" you would have someone who know the basics. That's my 2cents

Last edited by radiodazewarrior (November 13, 2022 12:38 pm)

November 13, 2022 11:54 am  #5

When I was a News Director we did regular airchecks with rookies and vets alike . Seems like no one does that anymore. 

November 13, 2022 1:08 pm  #6

Most dumb, embarrassing mistakes used to be made in college, either on the college station or a simulated aircheck for an instructor.
Trust me, I made a few myself that had my instructors howling with laughter.
Now, it seems, if you look or sound half decent, you end up on the air without any teaching, coaching or direction.  It's not good for the blood pressure of old dinosaurs like me.

November 13, 2022 2:40 pm  #7

The people I know who went onto careers at the CBC got their start at a campus newspaper - that’s where you can learn journalism.

Western’s Gazette was the starting point for numerous journalists, not only in the past but in modern times. Even if that’s print, the principles of journalism are drilled into you and the right people can make the jump to radio or television.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (November 13, 2022 2:42 pm)