sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 9, 2022 8:04 pm  #1

25.4 Million US Viewers Tuned In Last Night For Election Results

Neilsen overnight ratings say 25.4 million Americans watched US election results last night.  This number includes all network/cable network coverage.  Big winner was Fox News with estimated 7.2m total viewers 8-11pm.

Last nights total was down sharply from the mid terms in 2018 when over 36 million viewers tuned in for results.
More details from TV Line..https://tvline.com/2022/11/09/tv-ratings-election-night-midterms/    

November 10, 2022 1:35 am  #2

Re: 25.4 Million US Viewers Tuned In Last Night For Election Results

I suspect the majority of the FNC viewers reside in Middle America aka Fly Over Country. There can't be many viewers on the "Left" Coast, Boston, and New York.

November 10, 2022 12:45 pm  #3

The big surprise I see from this data is the poor performance of CNN. They got beat by all three of the Big 3, even CBS.

mace wrote:

I suspect the majority of the FNC viewers reside in Middle America aka Fly Over Country. There can't be many viewers on the "Left" Coast, Boston, and New York.

You’d be surprised about the west coast. Washington, Oregon and California all have their share of Republican supporters. In the 2020 election, over 6 million Californians voted for Trump - the highest number of any state, even exceeding Texas. Much of that support was in Northern California and in the central part of the state. Not so much in the Bay Area or SoCal.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (November 10, 2022 2:01 pm)

November 12, 2022 2:02 am  #4

MJ Vancouver wrote:

The big surprise I see from this data is the poor performance of CNN. They got beat by all three of the Big 3, even CBS.

mace wrote:

You’d be surprised about the west coast. Washington, Oregon and California all have their share of Republican supporters. In the 2020 election, over 6 million Californians voted for Trump - the highest number of any state, even exceeding Texas. Much of that support was in Northern California and in the central part of the state. Not so much in the Bay Area or SoCal.

Has anyone done a likability survey of the people on CNN?  I don't like anyone on the entire schedule.  Every other network has people I don't mind watching.

November 12, 2022 8:57 am  #5

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Has anyone done a likability survey of the people on CNN?  I don't like anyone on the entire schedule.  Every other network has people I don't mind watching.

The only CNN host that I just don't connect with is Alisyn Camerota .. she's passable by herself but I really don't like her interaction with her normal cohost Victor Blackwell.   Victor meshes much better with current sub-cohost Bianna Golodryga. 

That said, I really miss Brooke Baldwin. 

November 12, 2022 10:44 am  #6

I have noticed that Jake Tapper is trying to lighten up and be a little more personable.  He often was overly serious and kind of argumentative but of late he seems to be trying to be affable. 

What is the deal with counting the ballots?  Can't believe the US is always so slow getting the results out.  The media should get on this.  Every other first world democracy gets results out in hours, not weeks or in the case of the last presidential election months. Election results were quicker three or four decades ago in the US. 

November 12, 2022 8:11 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

I have noticed that Jake Tapper is trying to lighten up and be a little more personable.  He often was overly serious and kind of argumentative but of late he seems to be trying to be affable. 

What is the deal with counting the ballots?  Can't believe the US is always so slow getting the results out.  The media should get on this.  Every other first world democracy gets results out in hours, not weeks or in the case of the last presidential election months. Election results were quicker three or four decades ago in the US. 

The big delays are in California, Arizona and Nevada. I'm not sure about California but I know in Nevada and Arizona the delay has a lot to do with state election laws such as accepting mail votes that are post marked by election day but received later. I think Arizona accepts those up to a week or so after election day. There's also a process called "curing" which involves verifying signatures on certain ballots and that has to be done manually and is time consuming. Both of these states have had such laws for a long time before team Trump started to attribute  the delays to fraud.

California also has had delayed results well before the fraud outcry.

In past elections before 2022 the delays did not seem that important bc they did not significantly alter the outcome.

Also since Covid the mail in ballots have increased and that delayed the results in Pennsylvania and perhaps Georgia and other states in 2020.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

November 12, 2022 8:34 pm  #8

g121 wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

The only CNN host that I just don't connect with is Alisyn Camerota .. she's passable by herself but I really don't like her interaction with her normal cohost Victor Blackwell.   Victor meshes much better with current sub-cohost Bianna Golodryga. 

That said, I really miss Brooke Baldwin. 

I think Camerota is moving to Don Lemon's old 10 PM slot with a new co-host. Generally I too find that most of the CNN team is easy to relate to.

Ok I'm a MSNBC/CNN person and I do not relate to the hosts on Fox. I only watch Fox when election results don't go the way they hype and expect and they did that with this election. The big red wave did not materialize and many of the nut jobs that Trump endorsed lost.

Basically the results have been more or less a draw and the Dems bucked the trend of the party in Power losing big time in a off presidential year election.

Last edited by Fitz (November 12, 2022 10:01 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

November 12, 2022 10:29 pm  #10

The networks have now called the Nevada senate race for the Dems and so they will retain control of the US senate. The election I would say is a bit more favorable to the Dems than a mere draw. The house of rep control is still undecided and even if Republicans take the House, as expected, it will only be by 8 or 9 seats and not the 30 to 40 that everyone was talking about.

Time to hold my nose and tune into Fox for about 10 mins. Edit : Just did and it's apparently not live like MSNBC and CNN so I could not stay more than 50 secs.

Last edited by Fitz (November 12, 2022 10:43 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

November 12, 2022 11:19 pm  #11

*chuckles* a hatchet job column by an ex-Fox guy : )) .. 

Roger Friedman began his Showbiz411 column in April 2009 after 10 years with Fox News, where he created the Fox411 column. 

I watch a lot of CNN & it's not dramatically different .. election coverage still with many, many of the regular faces like King, Blitzer, Tapper, Berman, Borger, Coates, Axelrod, Cooper, Collins, etc, etc, etc.  Anyone who says the CNN changes are dramatic hasn't been watching all along.

November 13, 2022 12:36 am  #12

g121 wrote:

*chuckles* a hatchet job column by an ex-Fox guy : )) .. 

Roger Friedman began his Showbiz411 column in April 2009 after 10 years with Fox News, where he created the Fox411 column. 

I watch a lot of CNN & it's not dramatically different .. election coverage still with many, many of the regular faces like King, Blitzer, Tapper, Berman, Borger, Coates, Axelrod, Cooper, Collins, etc, etc, etc.  Anyone who says the CNN changes are dramatic hasn't been watching all along.

You are right. I had the same thought "what is he talking about" but I will say that John Berman was better than any of the three new hosts in the morning. Hope they find a new permanent place for him.

Cool Airchecks and More: