sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 27, 2022 6:04 pm  #1

Why Are These Radio Shows Still Without Permanent Hosts?

It's a question worth asking, after two major Toronto radio talk shows remain without permanent hosts, in one case more than half a year after the last moderator left. 

Bell Media's "News Talk Today," the recent replacement for the Evan Solomon Show, has seen an endless parade of hosts since Solomon left for a job in the U.S. Some days it's Deb Hutton. Other afternoons, Graham Richardson from Ottawa is in the chair. And occasionally, even Mark Twohey returns to sit in. You'd think by now they'd be able to find a permanent host. (Hey, Jamil Jivani is available...naw, it would probably never work out!)

Far less explicable is "On Point," the show that airs on AM 640 from 7 PM -10 PM. It was started with Alex Pierson behind the mic several years ago. Then she took a leave of absence after suffering exhaustion, starting April 1st. November will mark 8 months since she left, and returned in the 9 AM slot. But On Point still doesn't have a permanent voice.

Many nights. it's veteran Arlene Bynon hosting. Sometimes Rubina Ahmed-Haq gets the time. And then there's Rob Fai, who turns up occasionally, when David Peck isn't on the air. 

Bynon is a veteran news person, but the others have a specific area of expertise - Haq specializes in finance, Fai has a sports background and Peck is a magician. 

It's weird that in more than half a year, Corus still hasn't found someone to take over the show permanently and continue to have a seemingly never-ending round of musical chair hosts. Can't they just find someone and give the show a proper focus? What's taking so long?

October 27, 2022 7:59 pm  #2

Re: Why Are These Radio Shows Still Without Permanent Hosts?

Personally, I don't it is a big issue that there is not a regular host. The variety of opinion makes these shows a bit more interesting . 

November 11, 2022 10:29 am  #3

Just heard minutes ago an ad on 640 Toronto that Dani Stover, former producer of Kelly Cutrara's show is getting the 7 to 10 PM time slot.  I didn't pay too much attention, but the ad itself sounds like the "I'm Canadian Rant" beer ad from years ago.  Will try to pay more attention next time it airs.

November 11, 2022 11:22 am  #4

Vassy Kapelos starts Dec. 1.

November 11, 2022 11:28 am  #5

Thanks for the head's up about Stover. I've been wondering when they would finally get around to naming a permanent host, because the constant rotating talking heads was making the show too different every night.

Arlene Bynon, the best of the lot, was a well rounded and experienced pro who could handle almost any subject. But the others were into their own specialties. Rubina Ahmed Haq was too focused on finance specialty. Another, Rob Fai, has a background in sports and that came out way too often on air. (We already have two sports radio stations in the market.) And David Peck was into motivational speaking and magic.

Don't know much about Dani Stover, but she does have experience. According to her Linked-In page, she's worked on air at myFM in Peterborough, Indie 88.1 in Toronto, Q107 in Calgary, and was a regular on Dean Blundell's show for a time. So I'm guessing she's not coming at this unprepared. 

November 11, 2022 3:17 pm  #6

Radio Bob wrote:

Vassy Kapelos starts Dec. 1.

Just to bring some context to this mention, Kapelos will be the new host of "Question Period" and "Power Play". A blurb here on that:

CBC's Vassy Kapelos moves to CTV News to host 'Power Play' and 'Question Period'