sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2022 2:16 pm  #1

OTA subchannels

As I noted in another thread I have been in California, and at the accommodations where I’ve been staying there’s a TV with an OTA hookup - and it received no fewer than 26 subchannels. (And that was just the English channels, not counting Spanish.)

The PBS station alone has 4 subchannels, and the CBS affiliate has a CW subchannel which they use for a local morning newscast while CBS Mornings is on the main subchannel, and a 10:00 newscast.

It is mind boggling that Canadian broadcasters are not taking advantage of this technology to offer more programming options that don’t cost anything. CTV, for instance, could do a lot with CTV2 and extend its reach into parts of Canada where it’s not available. And public broadcasters like TVO or the CBC could do a lot with these subchannels as well such as broadcasting their French counterparts, or a kids-only channel, or Canadian documentaries.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (November 2, 2022 2:21 pm)

November 2, 2022 2:25 pm  #2

Re: OTA subchannels

Bell and Rogers don't want consumers watching OTA television. I have friends that still believe when the digital conversion happened in 2011, unless you had cable or satellite, their television wouldn't receive any channels. I am sure Bell and Rogers were only too happy to keep that myth alive and well.

November 2, 2022 2:30 pm  #3

I would agree with mace.

I'm not sure what the CRTC rules are for Canadian TV stations using subcarriers, but I'd be very surprised if they took advantage of the opportunity, even if they could. Bell, Rogers & Shaw own most of the bigger stations in the country and they're committed to fattening their wallets by selling you cable and satellite to see their signals.

In fact, I suspect they'd turn off their OTA transmitters if given the chance to force more people onto their paid platforms. Because most of the station owners in the U.S. don't have this situation, they want as many eyeballs as possible. Plus, I believe the rules down south allow for some of these subcarriers to be carried by cable systems, and I'm honestly not sure if that would happen here.

Bell may have to carry Global on its systems - but if Global were to introduce six subcarriers, I don't think they'd want to give them that space on their systems and vice versa. 

I could be wrong, but I don't know if we'll ever see this kind of thing happening here. There's not much in it for the Big 3 and they're not very altruistic when it comes to viewers getting something for nothing. As we know all too well.

November 2, 2022 3:48 pm  #4

It will be interesting to see, if the Rogers/Shaw deal is approved and Shaw/Corus are then completely severed, if Global starts making use of its sub-channels.

November 2, 2022 8:20 pm  #5

I'd never heard of CFTV until your post, and it doesn't look like much of a station - low power and heavily community-based. I'm not sure what they show but I doubt there's much there I'd want to watch. 

What does interest me, though, is that you're right, they are listed as the only station in all of Canada that has programming on its subcarriers. Although it's hardly like the choice you get from the U.S., with tons of old reruns and/or entertainment and documentary shows.

Here's their subchannel line-up, as outlined in the CRTC documentation:

• 34.1 (main channel): local community programming as required under its current broadcasting licence;
  • 34.2:  local French-language content from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and Spanish-language programming for the Hispanic community from 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.;
  • 34.3 local programming specifically produced for people with intellectual, mobility, hearing and visual disabilities, as well as Aboriginal programming from the local Caldwell First Nation; and
  • 34.4 local municipal programming (council meetings, town halls, events, public service announcements, emergencies and notices)

Global's CIII once had a subcarrier on 41.2 in Toronto, but it was simply an SD version of their HD signal. It eventually disappeared. Still, that answers my question about whether any OTA TV station in Canada has subchannels. And the answer is just this one.

But that sets the precedent and you have to wonder if others could one day follow, although for the reasons outlined above, it's probably not likely. 

November 3, 2022 8:03 am  #6

What would be truly wonderful is having Antenna TV, Cozi TV, ME TV etc. available online. Unfortunately, they are not. Decades is another one I wish I had access to. I have always wondered why WIVB has never added it to their sub channel list. It was developed by CBS and WIVB has been a primary eye network affilliate since 1949. It is interesting that Decades does not appear on CBS sub channels in Rochester, Syracuse and NYC.

November 3, 2022 8:13 am  #7

Decades is already on a subcarrier of WBBZ, the low power TV station on Channel 67 that we rarely get here. That's likely why WIVB can't add it - it's already spoken for. And yes, it would be on my wish list, as well. 

November 3, 2022 10:45 am  #8

I am aware that Decades is on a WBBZ sub channel. I guess my question would be when Decades was first introduced, why did WIVB pass on it? Because they did, WBBZ added it to their sub channel lineup.

November 3, 2022 11:27 am  #9

My 2 cents worth.  I suspect I am sort of an "expert" on OTA .2's .3's etc.  I've been involved in the U.S. with people who supply programming and now operate such channels. My involvement goes back 10 or 15 years.   In Canada-  2 words "bean counters".  The Canadian bean counters see no purpose in adding expenses that will not provide immediate significant revenues.  Program clearances for OTA mean in some cases residual $$ to talent, or added transmission costs to the OTA transmitting sites.  Bean counters are not convinced that the OTA receiving crowd 1) have people meters - and therefore will show a "bump" in ratings- or even are measurable or 2) are out there in significant numbers to be attractive to advertisers.  You will say of course that's counter-intuitive because content is cleared for cable, satellite and over-the-top streaming.  But there is a 3rd component.  Most if not all of the cable operators have written into their contracts the most oppressive terms and conditions that have stopped some smaller broadcasters from using their "specialty channel" content on OTA transmissions.  Why is that?  The "big guys" have tried to stop any competition for eyeballs, so it has been a long hard battle to carve out limited streaming rights, and to the extent that the big cable guys will negotiate, the contractual wording is so difficult as to preclude "giving it away for free".  In other words, Company A "gives away" specialty channel X via OTA, and the big bdus want the same treatment - that they get channel x "for free".  These have been called "MFN" clauses - what are known in legal circles as 'Most favoured nations" clauses.  The CRTC's "Wholesale Code" outlawed" MFN clauses - sort of - but they still exist, perhaps now in more insidious forms...and the Wholesale Code is basically toothless - unless your are Bell or Rogers complaining about the "other guy's contracting practices for their (sports) specialty services. 

I won't dwell on the "grey" area of what the CRTC would do, if someone applied to put a non-licenced channel up on .2 or .3.  I think the CRTC wouldn't outright reject the concept of putting CP24, which is a licensed service, up as a .2 or .3 of CFTO, etc.  But it's the clout of the BDUs, who don't want competition - that in my humble opinion made this a non-starter.   As several people have observed, Bell, Rogers, Shaw, etc., have always been at the forefront of limiting any competition that would see paying subscribers move away from them.  Case in point VMedia's BDU service, which technically "streams" content was opposed time and again, at the CRTC, and in the courts by some "behemoths".  Finally if there was 10% of the population who do receive OTA in cities (most OTA has been shut down in rural areas and smaller cities) that OTA "potential" audience is a drop in the bucket relative to the existing subscriber base of Bell, Telus, Rogers, Shaw, etc.

FAST channels will make a mockery of the BDUs as gate keepers in my opinion.  Unregulated, untouchable by Canadian BDUs, and universally available.  That's where the action will be and OTA in Canada - will be, if I can suggest it - largely irrelevant to viewers who have internet connections and can access FAST channels for free.

My last, last point.  In the US, it is not uncommon for Weigel Broadcasting {MeTV, StarTV, Decades, Movies, etc] (and others) to essentially "rent" OTA subcarriers in major markets.  There are very well established national sales agents, who are able to monetize the .2's and .3's on the basis of the number of markets where signals are available.  Ratings is not of primary concern, it is market reach south of the border.  If you deliver the major markets that advertisers demand to buy, there is often a business case to be made  Now with a combination of FAST channels and OTA .1's and .2's there is a good business case for "new" channels that are based on older program catalogues.  I know first hand of people in the U.S. who are making money in this business of OTA subs and FAST channels. It's not rocket science.   Unfortunately there aren't visionaries in Canada who are willing to take this leap.

November 3, 2022 2:07 pm  #10

Thanks as always tvguy. Your breadth of knowledge continues to be invaluable. An interesting behind-the-curtain-look at what's going on. As usual, the viewers are the losers.  

November 3, 2022 2:28 pm  #11

mace wrote:

I am aware that Decades is on a WBBZ sub channel. I guess my question would be when Decades was first introduced, why did WIVB pass on it? Because they did, WBBZ added it to their sub channel lineup.

Decades is one of my favourite subcarrier channels that I can't get. In addition to all the usual reruns (Dick van Dyke, I Love Lucy, The Mary Tyler Moore Show etc., they also do a nightly show called "Through The Decades," hosted by Bill Kurtis of A&E's "American Justice" fame.

It's a great look through the history of a specific day. The Friday show for example has this precis:

On November 4, “Through the Decades” remembers the day in 1979 that Iranian students took hostages at the U.S. embassy in Tehran, escalating tensions between the two nations. We also take a look back on when comedian Lenny Bruce was convicted of obscenity in 1964 following a fiery debate over free speech. And on the day of his birth, we profile Oscar-winning actor Matthew McConaughey.  

Saturday's version looks back at vintage TV shows like the Twilight Zone, Bonanza and Dallas. 

It's a show I would watch every day if it actually came in here. 

By the way, the Decades website has a great quiz section. Some of them include:

Guess who said it on air on WKRP in Cincinnati! 

Do you consider these musicians one-hit wonders?

Only the biggest fans of The Odd Couple can score 10/12 on this quiz

Can you name all these British Invasion bands of the 1960s?

And there are literally hundreds more. You can check out page 1 of 53 pages of links here.

November 3, 2022 5:29 pm  #12

Here's a question for people who may be lurking on the big yellow board.  Perhaps the brain trust over at Channel Zero could explore the creation of an 11.2 for CHCH using some of this programming.  They are, in my view pretty smart folks who have done a nice job in the vintage programming niche during certain dayparts on CHCH.  They might have some streaming services - but I've never watched them.

It shouldn't be "rocket science" for them to enter into some form of streaming arrangement with Weigel for Canada that would be "geo-blocked" for the Canadian territory -and also add 11.2's across their vast network of OTA transmitters.  Seems like a win-win for Channel Zero.  Those folks are pretty savvy finding creative ways to navigate arcane CRTC rules.

November 3, 2022 5:35 pm  #13

tvguy wrote:

Here's a question for people who may be lurking on the big yellow board.  Perhaps the brain trust over at Channel Zero could explore the creation of an 11.2 for CHCH using some of this programming.  They are, in my view pretty smart folks who have done a nice job in the vintage programming niche during certain dayparts on CHCH.  They might have some streaming services - but I've never watched them.

It shouldn't be "rocket science" for them to enter into some form of streaming arrangement with Weigel for Canada that would be "geo-blocked" for the Canadian territory -and also add 11.2's across their vast network of OTA transmitters.  Seems like a win-win for Channel Zero.  Those folks are pretty savvy finding creative ways to navigate arcane CRTC rules. 

The more the merrier, as far as I'm concerned. Bring it on!

November 3, 2022 6:32 pm  #14

tvguy wrote:

CHCH only have four transmitter sites converted to digital/HD, which would be capable of carrying sub channels... Hamilton, London, Midland and Ottawa. 

Their remaining four sites in Northern Ontario are analog and were shutdown during the ATSC repack period, and would first require conversion/upgrade to digital technology ... costly $$$...

November 3, 2022 7:27 pm  #15

tvguy wrote:

I know first hand of people in the U.S. who are making money in this business of OTA subs and FAST channels. It's not rocket science.   Unfortunately there aren't visionaries in Canada who are willing to take this leap.

I wonder too if it's an issue that this model doesn't scale down well. Everyone involved would know viewership at any given time to any given subchannel is quite low, but that can be made up for with volume. That volume would be hard to achieve in Canada and you'd have many advertisers noticing zero conversion from their spots.

November 4, 2022 9:46 am  #16

If it's a question of what to put on a sub-channel, that wouldn't entice cable cutting and not then upset the 'big boys',  I think that at least one OTA transmitter in any given coverage area should carry the parliamentary channel in both English and French.

It's been a very long time since I've been a cable subscriber but I think they still air the federal government's proceeding - YES/NO? Do they carry provincial government sessions? Include those as well if they do.

Last edited by DeepTracks (November 4, 2022 9:50 am)

November 4, 2022 10:07 am  #17

That's a good suggestion overall, although you wouldn't want it on every subchannel on every OTA station. Perhaps the CBC? I always thought City TV made a huge mistake by not putting the CityNews Channel on its OTA subcarrier signal, if only to spread the word about the service, which ultimately died from lack of exposure. 

If you really want to watch them, the Ont. Legislature live video can be found here, while the House of Commons is here

November 4, 2022 11:13 am  #18

The puzzlement to me is why CBC transmission hasn't looked at the cost-cutting potential of putting multiple services on a single transmitter. Why maintain two transmitters, two power bills, etc. on the CN Tower when you could easily run CBLT 5.1 and CBLFT 25.1 on a single transmitter with plenty of bitrate to spare? (And then multiply that by all the cities where CBC/SRC still run two transmitters.) 

Heck, you could even combine TVO's 19.1 on that same transmitter and save even more money. (I believe TVO still rents transmitter room space at CN Tower from the CBC.) 

It's not as exciting as having the zillions of OTA subchannels we get on this side of the border, but it would have to save some taxpayer dollars that could be better used for programming. 

November 4, 2022 12:16 pm  #19

All the major media companies could have use digital subchannels by now to maybe reduce the cost of OTA transmission and expand their broadcast footprints. Bell with CTV and CTV Two, Rogers with Citytv and Omni (or in Toronto at least Omni1 and Omni2 being on the same MUX'ed), Corus could have partnered up with one of the smaller broadcasters to MUX their Global TV transmitters (maybe with Crossroads for YesTV). It would have at least given every major market in Canada the same networks over the air, instead of having this situation where the biggest markets have all the major networks, and cities like London only have CTV Two. 

November 4, 2022 12:21 pm  #20

fybush wrote:

The puzzlement to me is why CBC transmission hasn't looked at the cost-cutting potential of putting multiple services on a single transmitter. Why maintain two transmitters, two power bills, etc. on the CN Tower when you could easily run CBLT 5.1 and CBLFT 25.1 on a single transmitter with plenty of bitrate to spare? (And then multiply that by all the cities where CBC/SRC still run two transmitters.) 

Heck, you could even combine TVO's 19.1 on that same transmitter and save even more money. (I believe TVO still rents transmitter room space at CN Tower from the CBC.) 

It's not as exciting as having the zillions of OTA subchannels we get on this side of the border, but it would have to save some taxpayer dollars that could be better used for programming. 

Pure speculation: Would the CRTC view that as turning in licenses? Same reason basically dead AM stations are kept on the air - if technology or regulations change, that license becomes valuable again.

November 4, 2022 4:42 pm  #21

ED1 wrote:

All the major media companies could have use digital subchannels by now to maybe reduce the cost of OTA transmission and expand their broadcast footprints. Bell with CTV and CTV Two, Rogers with Citytv and Omni (or in Toronto at least Omni1 and Omni2 being on the same MUX'ed), Corus could have partnered up with one of the smaller broadcasters to MUX their Global TV transmitters (maybe with Crossroads for YesTV). It would have at least given every major market in Canada the same networks over the air, instead of having this situation where the biggest markets have all the major networks, and cities like London only have CTV Two. 

Global would also have the opportunity for putting it’s all-news BC1 on a subchannel in BC.

November 4, 2022 5:59 pm  #22

MJ Vancouver wrote:

ED1 wrote:

Global would also have the opportunity for putting it’s all-news BC1 on a subchannel in BC.

There's probably a clause in their cable/satellite carriage contracts that prevent BC1 from being distributed free elsewhere, which I would understand.

November 4, 2022 8:24 pm  #23

mace wrote:

What would be truly wonderful is having Antenna TV, Cozi TV, ME TV etc. available online. Unfortunately, they are not. Decades is another one I wish I had access to.

For what it's worth: The Weigel cluster of stations (MeTV, Decades, and Heroes & Icons) ARE available online in a pay subscription format through Frndly TV: https://try.frndlytv.com/ 

In Canada, provided you have a VPN, and are willing to pay.... you will get to see them on this side of the border. 

Last edited by Radio.Intern (November 4, 2022 8:25 pm)

November 6, 2022 11:32 am  #24

Thanks for reposting this. I've always wondered what the exact CRTC policy was and this fills in a lot of blanks.

The way I read it, they will allow subchannels in Canada, but only if stations are willing to put up programming that's different than what's already available. In other words, if it attracts an audience, you can't do it. Little wonder no one - not even an independent like CHCH - has bothered. 

Here's another element of their rules that I find confusing:

36. Use of DTV technology to deliver multicast services, potentially in preference to the broadcast of HDTV programming, might also have the effect of discouraging the introduction of HDTV, thereby diminishing the motivation that consumers might otherwise have for purchasing a digital television set.

I don't get this. Are they saying introducing subcarriers would slow or stop the sales of HDTV sets? I know this was back in 2002, but could you even have subcarriers without the conversion to HD? If the only way to get any subchannels is to get a new set capable of receiving them, wouldn't you have to get an HD set? This one makes no sense at all to me. But maybe I'm reading it wrong. 

As usual, the CRTC stands in the way of viewers by trying to protect pay TV operators and cable companies (i.e. the usual giant culprits) and we get fewer options on our over-the-air dial.

I don't think it would matter in any event, since as discussed the usual "giant culprits" have no interest in promoting anything free over the air, when they can make you pay for it. It's why you need an antenna to get Buffalo or Detroit.

The FCC has made some awful decisions over the years, but they at least allow owners of station groups to do whatever they want, and if it makes money, it makes money. If not, that's their own risk. But at least they have the option. At the risk of drawing the inevitable ire of p1 whenever I criticize anything Canadian, I certainly wish we had that here. 

November 6, 2022 4:30 pm  #25

Bill Dulmage wrote:

CRTC's View on sub-channels:
Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2002-31
Ottawa, 12 June 2002
A licensing policy to oversee the transition from analog to digital, over-the-air television broadcasting

SECTION OF INTEREST:
Multicast programming services

This document is from 2002.  DTV (and also HD) in Canada was just about to launch so the reference to "discouraging the introduction of HDTV" must be taken in context.

The Commissions need to have any additional service both "innovative and non-duplicative of existing services" and "licensed separately from the main DTV service" (thus requiring a built-in regulatory process) pretty much killed any use of OTA DTV to distribute sub-channel programming.

November 6, 2022 4:30 pm  #26

First off RA, you only draw my ire when you attempt to misinform and exaggerate (which is often).  You do, whether you want to admit it or not, tend to trivialize, whine about, or look down on many things Canadian.

This report is from 2002 and not 2012 as you said, so concerns about HDTV make more sense with the correct year.

Not sure your take on "if it attracts an audience, you can't do it.."  is correct or even logical.  The CRTC said sub channels shouldn't duplicate programming that is available off air or on pay channels, and they would be referring to what is available in a given area in Canada.  Not so sure they would care what is offered on Buffalo or Detroit sub channels since hardly anyone in Southern Ontario watches them.

So there would be a lot of classic programming and niche shows available to run.  Is there a demand for any of this?  The public here doesn't seem overly interested or aware so far.  Sort of like sub channels on radio.  A none issue so far for the public and most broadcasters. 

Could be that sub channels are a thing in the US because of a much larger and often wealthier population base, and the fact that many traditional OTA stations are really struggling for audience. 

Case in point, Saturday October 29th one week ago, CBS in prime time did not crack 1 million viewers, and NBC nowhere near hitting 2 million viewers for any programming.  So in other words many of their affiliates had really nobody watching one week ago if the ratings are accurate.  

In fairness the World Series was on FOX with a non spectacular 10.7 million viewers.  Even on supposed "big nights" like Wednesday or Thursday we are seeing the Big Four networks this fall with 2,3 and 4 million viewers for "hit" shows.

So there is a market and a need for sub channels in the US to help the main OTA stations.  Local stations in Canada are mostly owned by companies that likely have little interest at this time.  If a station like CHCH or one of the few independents get into this, and traditional networks continue to slide in Canada,  then maybe it will happen sooner than later. 

Last edited by paterson1 (November 6, 2022 4:32 pm)

November 6, 2022 5:38 pm  #27

paterson1 wrote:

First off RA, you only draw my ire when you attempt to misinform and exaggerate (which is often).  You do, whether you want to admit it or not, tend to trivialize, whine about, or look down on many things Canadian. 

You call it whining. I call it fact. Potato potatoe. We will always disagree about this and that's OK. That's what this board is all about and I welcome all viewpoints, including those who vehemently dislike my opinions. 

paterson1 wrote:

This report is from 2002 and not 2012 as you said, so concerns about HDTV make more sense with the correct year.

I'll concede that. That was a typo that I've since fixed. But a fair point.

paterson1 wrote:

Not sure your take on "if it attracts an audience, you can't do it.."  is correct or even logical.  The CRTC said sub channels shouldn't duplicate programming that is available off air or on pay channels, and they would be referring to what is available in a given area in Canada.  Not so sure they would care what is offered on Buffalo or Detroit sub channels since hardly anyone in Southern Ontario watches them..

The problem with this part of the CRTC ruling is that there's virtually nothing on TV or cable that hasn't really already been done. Want to show old reruns like Antenna TV or MeTV? There was TV Land. Deja View and Comedy Gold at the time showing that very thing. A station that showed nothing but crime documentaries like Court TV and a few others in the U.S.? Sorry, there's already a documentary channel. Shows for kids? Taken by Treehouse TV, Nickelodeon and Disney Jr. 

And on and on it goes. My point is there's almost nothing that wasn't already being done. And under the CRTC rules, no competitor could launch on a subcarrier if a station wanted to do it, because it's taken. In the U.S., as an example, there's a ton of stations running old shows. No one's saying there can't be competition. Down south, we've got PBS Kids and a few other subcarriers for kids. Not here, because after all, there already are some. And God forbid they should face a competitor.

I'm sure glad this didn't apply to radio formats, otherwise CHUM would have been the only station playing Top 40 in Toronto. CKFH and CFTR would not have been allowed to adopt the music because there already is one and we must have something different. What's wrong with an alternative or some competition? To me, the more the merrier and that includes TV specialty channels.

paterson1 wrote:

So there would be a lot of classic programming and niche shows available to run.  Is there a demand for any of this?  The public here doesn't seem overly interested or aware so far.  Sort of like sub channels on radio.  A none issue so far for the public and most broadcasters.

How do you know if there's a demand for it until someone tries it? Look at what CHCH did. They created a "retro TV" format to fill their hours. As far as I can see, it's popular with many. If a company wants to try it and it doesn't work, that's their risk. But to prohibit anything similar just because someone else is already doing it is wrong and overly protectionist. And as you know, nothing makes me crazier (and I admit there's not far to go) than government interference in programming. 

paterson1 wrote:

Could be that sub channels are a thing in the US because of a much larger and often wealthier population base, and the fact that many traditional OTA stations are really struggling for audience. 

I say let them try if they want. But the rules seem so restrictive (if there's already one, there can't be another...) that who would even consider such a thing?

paterson1 wrote:

Case in point, Saturday October 29th one week ago, CBS in prime time did not crack 1 million viewers, and NBC nowhere near hitting 2 million viewers for any programming.  So in other words many of their affiliates had really nobody watching one week ago if the ratings are accurate.  

In fairness the World Series was on FOX with a non spectacular 10.7 million viewers.  Even on supposed "big nights" like Wednesday or Thursday we are seeing the Big Four networks this fall with 2,3 and 4 million viewers for "hit" shows.

So there is a market and a need for sub channels in the US to help the main OTA stations.  Local stations in Canada are mostly owned by companies that likely have little interest at this time.  If a station like CHCH or one of the few independents get into this, and traditional networks continue to slide in Canada,  then maybe it will happen sooner than later. 

Streaming has definitely cut into both OTA TV and cable. But perhaps one way to win back viewers is to offer something you can't get on streaming. A station that's only available over-the-air could attract eyeballs that have deserted TV for greener pastures. It's one possible way to bring them back. I can't tell you the number of people who have put up an antenna and have told me how surprised they were to find all the choice they found that they didn't know about. And yes, they were in the GTA. 

The one thing we agree on is that the companies that control most of the stations have no interest in pursuing anything that might be given away for free. So perhaps it's a moot point. But at least those that want to should be free to try. The CRTC needs to get out of programming and leave it to the people who understand television. It explains a lot about why TV on this side of the border looks the way it does. It's not terrible - but it certainly could offer a lot more if the government would just get out of the way. 

November 8, 2022 10:31 pm  #28

Another neat use for subcarriers - on election night in the U.S., WGRZ's main channel was carrying NBC's coverage, with a few local cut-ins. But they were doing wall-to-wall local Buffalo and New York State results on channel 2.2, so viewers could pick which one to watch, or tune between them.

I noticed neither of the other big two - channels 4 & 7 - took advantage of their subcarriers to try the same thing.