sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 3, 2022 9:55 am  #1

Could Rogers' Argument For Less CanCon Spread To Its Other Stations?

Rogers has asked the CRTC for permission to reduce its CanCon requirements from 40% to 35% on two of its stations, one in Edmonton and the other closer to home in Kitchener (CIKZ-FM, aka Country 106.7.) 

None of this is new, but their argument explaining why they think they deserve the reduction is potentially interesting. 

From Broadcast Dialogue:

“It’s important to recognize that we live in a changed cultural ecosystem in which our radio stations now compete with global online platforms (e.g., Spotify, Apple Music) for listeners and for advertising dollars – online platforms with no regulatory obligations, including minimum Canadian content levels. In addition, the Canadian radio sector has been and continues to be negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic…and that English-language commercial radio stations in Canada continue to be the hardest hit with a revenue decline of 29.6% from 2019 to 2021.”

So they have competition without CanCon requirements and times are tough. They seem to be admitting that a huge commitment to playing that much home-grown talent is a detriment to listeners. That's interesting, although I can't see the CRTC being very happy with the idea. One reason it could be granted is that both stations pledged to play 40% instead of the more standard 35%, which I'm assuming was to help Rogers land the licences for both stations - the CRTC is a sucker for more Canadian content. 

Rogers complains about "changes beyond our control" as a reason for having their request granted. If it's successful, could other stations that promised an extra heavy Canadian playlist then go to the Commission with the same argument? 

A reasonable request or Pandora's Box?

November 3, 2022 10:23 am  #2

Re: Could Rogers' Argument For Less CanCon Spread To Its Other Stations?

Naw. Instead of reducing Can Con for Rogers, they will try to force Can Con requirements on the Spotify's of the world. Oh wait, isn't that part of the coming bill C-11?

November 3, 2022 10:23 am  #3

I think it's a reasonable request given the new environment. You can access unregulated content from all over the world via internet streams.  The CRTC is reviewing CanCon requirements anyway under the long-overdue policy review. CAB wanted it reduced to 25%.  The advent of internet streaming to cars is making content rules, as well as market protection, almost unsustainable.

November 3, 2022 11:03 am  #4

It's unlikely to spread too far as they only have a handful of stations that have higher than 35% in their licenses.

November 3, 2022 1:53 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

One reason it could be granted is that both stations pledged to play 40% instead of the more standard 35%, which I'm assuming was to help Rogers land the licences for both stations - the CRTC is a sucker for more Canadian content.

I don't know about the Edmonton station but CIKZ in Kitchener was not originally owned by Rogers, they bought it from the originating owner whom I'm guessing promised 40% to increase their chances at getting approved.

RadioActive wrote:

From Broadcast Dialogue:

“It’s important to recognize that we live in a changed cultural ecosystem in which our radio stations now compete with global online platforms (e.g., Spotify, Apple Music) for listeners and for advertising dollars – online platforms with no regulatory obligations, including minimum Canadian content levels. In addition, the Canadian radio sector has been and continues to be negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic…and that English-language commercial radio stations in Canada continue to be the hardest hit with a revenue decline of 29.6% from 2019 to 2021.”

Funny, cause I worked for Rogers during this time frame and upper management continuously bragged about how radio is "doing better than ever" and "don't listen to those who claim that no one listens to radio anymore".

November 3, 2022 1:58 pm  #6

TheWiz wrote:

I don't know about the Edmonton station but CIKZ in Kitchener was not originally owned by Rogers, they bought it from the originating owner whom I'm guessing promised 40% to increase their chances at getting approved.

The Edmonton station was launched by CHUM and Milestone.

November 3, 2022 2:27 pm  #7

So it sounds like Rogers is simply requesting a removal of things they inherited from previous owners...?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 3, 2022 3:04 pm  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

So it sounds like Rogers is simply requesting a removal of things they inherited from previous owners...?

Yes, though the counter-argument to that would be that they knew what they were buying.