sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 23, 2022 5:10 pm  #1

My time has come

My  original Rogers contract and Nextbox have expired. They nailed me today to have to upgrade to Ignite. Luckily, I was able to keep the monthly expense within 5$ of what I was paying, but , have to relinquish the tv in our bedroom which we rarely turned on anyway ,and will lose a big number of channels, which I never watched anyway. They are including no installation charges which would have been 150$. So, all in all , as much I didn't want to change from my existing services, it may not be so bad. time will tell. 

October 23, 2022 6:41 pm  #2

Re: My time has come

Oh, I thought based on this thread topic, you were about to pass away. Glad you're still with us.

October 23, 2022 7:44 pm  #3

Yeah that kinda got me worried too. I thought maybe someone fell ill and wasn't sure how much longer they'd be around. lol

In all seriousness, my deal with Rogers comes to a close in February, I believe. 
Are they now telling Legacy customers that they MUST switch to Ignite?
Or did they say you can stay on Legacy but with no more discounts?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 23, 2022 10:41 pm  #4

My contract ends in March 2023. I have no problem paying a bit more to keep my legacy cable. July 8th really opened my eyes. While I couldn't phone anyone with my land line, or use my laptop, I could still watch  "basic" channels from Toronto and Buffalo plus CNN, A&E etc. Only channels not available were time shifters.

October 24, 2022 9:21 am  #5

mic'em wrote:

but , have to relinquish the tv in our bedroom which we rarely turned on anyway ,and will lose a big number of channels, which I never watched anyway.

If you buy one of the Chromecast with Google TV "sticks", and install it on your bedroom TV, you can use the IgniteTV app on your phone to watch shows on the TV using the casting option.  The cheap (non-4K) one is about $40, which his a lot cheaper than renting an extra TV box from Rogers.

October 24, 2022 10:18 am  #6

I was told Legacy is being phased out and was not an option. Thanks for the concern about my well being folks.  . Regarding the google stick, thanks for that info, I have turned that tv on once in the past year, my wife wants it out of our bedroom so she can take over the space for her art stuff.    By the way, I was told if I didn't upgrade to Ignite by Oct 31, my Netbox would be rendered inoperative. 

Last edited by mic'em (October 24, 2022 10:23 am)

October 24, 2022 11:26 am  #7

Good to hear that you are OK...

For a moment, I was worried that you had invested in Corus stock like Geo.

October 24, 2022 1:40 pm  #8

mic'em wrote:

By the way, I was told if I didn't upgrade to Ignite by Oct 31, my Netbox would be rendered inoperative. 

I'd love to say that's total BS,
It might not be though. 
Are they setting that date for ALL customers? Or is it based on the timing of when a current discount package ends?
If it's the latter, they may say the same to me, but for the end of February or March 2023, instead of November 2022.

Hopefully I'll be allowed to keep paying for Legacy cable because I agree...it's always there when internet goes out. (cable has gone out on it's own here and there but not for very long and not very often)

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 24, 2022 2:08 pm)

October 24, 2022 4:05 pm  #9

Read today that the Competition Bureau is looking into the way grocery stores (allegedly) cheat customers, is it time for the Competition Bureau to look into Bell, Rogers and Telus.. perhaps CBC's Marketplace could investigate their business practices, it would be one heck of a story.

Last edited by betaylored (October 24, 2022 4:36 pm)

October 24, 2022 6:29 pm  #10

To clarify , my current contract ends Oct 31. The Rogers rep told me I had to upgrade to Ignite as my Netbox is being phased out. I didn't specifically ask about keeping Legacy and paying full rate, which in my case, with landline and internet, would have been north of 300$ per month. The upgrade as described in the above post comes out at 217$ per month. That includes 3 Ignite boxes, new internet and landline modems, and free installation. Also got word today, I have to pay 750$ to buy out the rental contract on our water heater. These bastard corporations are trying to do me in methinks.  

October 24, 2022 7:05 pm  #11

mic'em wrote:

To clarify , my current contract ends Oct 31. The Rogers rep told me I had to upgrade to Ignite as my Netbox is being phased out. I didn't specifically ask about keeping Legacy and paying full rate, which in my case, with landline and internet, would have been north of 300$ per month. The upgrade as described in the above post comes out at 217$ per month. That includes 3 Ignite boxes, new internet and landline modems, and free installation. Also got word today, I have to pay 750$ to buy out the rental contract on our water heater. These bastard corporations are trying to do me in methinks.  

Did they also give you 6 months of free Disney +? Or has that promotion (for switching to Ignite) ended?

October 25, 2022 8:41 am  #12

I think it was offered at a reduced rate for 6 months, possibly free , I don't do streaming so didn't pay much attention. The installer is supposed to be here at noon. So, the next time I  post here , I will have been Ignited. 

Last edited by mic'em (October 25, 2022 8:41 am)

October 25, 2022 9:31 am  #13

mic'em wrote:

I think it was offered at a reduced rate for 6 months, possibly free , I don't do streaming so didn't pay much attention. The installer is supposed to be here at noon. So, the next time I  post here , I will have been Ignited. 

Yup. I just checked in with Rogers. They are offering me a deal difficult to refuse. I only have two TV's, so for the first year there will not be an extra $10 charge for the second box. Tempting indeed. 

October 26, 2022 9:20 am  #14

So I am now ignited but it did have some issues. First, the installer was an hour and half late with no word from him or Rogers . Then, the older RCA tv in my wife's girl cave room was not compatible with the new box, so I had to whip to Walmart and buy her a small smart tv, the installer did the internet and landline switch while I was out, and most aggravating, my surround system won't work now on the big screen tv in my living room. I tried every thing I could, now looking at having to call in Nerds Are US or somebody similar to figure it out. 

October 26, 2022 7:10 pm  #15

To conclude, my son walked me thru the surround setup over the phone, it helps to have a 29 year old in the family who knows this tech shit. All working A+ now. 

October 26, 2022 8:46 pm  #16

mic'em wrote:

To conclude, my son walked me thru the surround setup over the phone, it helps to have a 29 year old in the family who knows this tech shit. All working A+ now. 

Not a bad journey - you went from the presumption of impending death ("Rumours are greatly exaggerated...") from people clicking into this thread through to tech equipment bliss and ultimately satisfaction courtesy your own offspring!

October 27, 2022 9:56 am  #17

October 27, 2022 10:13 am  #18

I have ignite tv myself, and it is a really nice platform...   Best part is the PVR...it records on the server end, which means should your cable or power  go out... things still record and are available on all tvs and the ignite app.   There is no hard drives to fail, no real issues.    At some point I'm betting they will move to the ignite tv platform.   BTW if you need to get ignite working on an older tv without a HDMI input, you can get a converter box or RF converter that will allow you to convert from HDMI to rca or coax.       Most people at this point have HDMI by default, so i can understand why they didn't go with a box with rca.   Not to mention, you would not want to connect rca or coax to an modern tv as it will not be able do HD with those platforms. 

October 27, 2022 8:08 pm  #19

The RCA was from the 80's , it was my mother's tv which we brought here after she went to a nursing home and eventually passed on. It was time to update anyway, I got a RCA flatscreen smart 24" at Walamart for 85$. We can still use the old one with a VCR or the old PlayStation when the grandkids visit. It will probably outlive me lol. So, last night I had to call Rogers tech line regarding the new tv freezing. They did a reboot from their end which corrected it, and today, two vans showed up and they put a new line from the pole by the street , into my home. That was impressive service I have to say. 

October 27, 2022 8:28 pm  #20

mic'em wrote:

The RCA was from the 80's , it was my mother's tv which we brought here after she went to a nursing home and eventually passed on. 

Was it a SelectaVision from 1983?  I had a large CRT up until 2014, that I really loved.  Sounded great too!
Not my picture, but I haven't had the TV set in seven years.
https://i.imgur.com/92PKQKA.jpeg

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

October 27, 2022 9:48 pm  #21

When I hear SelectaVision, this is what I think of. My first VCR, around 1977, was an RCA VHS. It cost me over $1,000, and came with a few blank tapes thrown in (max time on the lower speed: a whole 4 hours!). The machines were brand new to the market back then, and it was exactly the invention I'd always dreamed of! So yeah, I spent the money.

October 27, 2022 10:56 pm  #22

mic'em wrote:

The RCA was from the 80's , it was my mother's tv which we brought here after she went to a nursing home and eventually passed on. It was time to update anyway, I got a RCA flatscreen smart 24" at Walamart for 85$. We can still use the old one with a VCR or the old PlayStation when the grandkids visit. It will probably outlive me lol. So, last night I had to call Rogers tech line regarding the new tv freezing. They did a reboot from their end which corrected it, and today, two vans showed up and they put a new line from the pole by the street , into my home. That was impressive service I have to say. 

I knew you'd go with RCA! lol 
While RCA may have been great years ago, it's garbage today. 
If RCA made pens, I wouldn't even buy those!!
There's a reason why the TV was only $85, and it's not screen size.

I would have splurged just a little more money and snatched up one of the Hisense TV's that Walmart carries. 
Much better value for the money.

While I do associate RCA with being nothing but a problem, I can at least be fair and offer this link that is also fair.
The write up doesn't seem to be coming from anyone working for RCA.
It doesn't trash RCA either. It's just a fair and honest write up about RCA TV's.
 https://techpenny.com/rca-tvs-reliable/

October 28, 2022 10:52 am  #23

The RCA my mother had was from about 1988 I seem to think, black , front heavy with the big kind of tapered back on it. I just grabbed the first one I could at Walmart as the installer was already in my house doing his installing thing. If it dies, I will look at getting a better unit at that time but thanks for the info and opinion. I actually prefer Sony, I had a 55 inch Trinitron for 12 years, just replaced a few months ago with a 60 inch . Jody, I hear you on 640 , is it just weekends you cover traffic there ? 

Last edited by mic'em (October 28, 2022 10:59 am)

December 19, 2022 2:42 pm  #24

After all that fuss I made, swearing I'd switch to Bell or Vmedia if I had to switch anything, a deal I could not refuse came to be.
I will officially be Ignited tomorrow. 
Rogers offered me 6 months of Disney plus and 3 months of Apple TV free along with a very deep discount for having 3 services.
(Ignite phone is only $20 a month, which includes North American calling-I was paying $30-that's $10 saved right there!!) 
for the next 12 months I also get my second box for free, so I am in great shape, paying less money for pretty much the same channels I had before...and 20 of them flexable. 

As much as I might miss the Legacy cable, Rogers did great to make me very happy as a paying customer.

*Added note: I said 3 services, not 4 because the fourth is cell phone and they did not include that. Once my cell contract is up, I can leave and go to any company I want and it will not change the Ignite pricing. 
It will be interesting to see what Rogers will offer me for cell rates in February when my contract is officially done. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (December 19, 2022 2:47 pm)