sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 24, 2022 5:08 pm  #1

Tom McConnell moving on to CTV London

October 24, 2022 5:41 pm  #2

Re: Tom McConnell moving on to CTV London

I'm happy for McConnell but sad for listeners like me. His was one of the better afternoon shows in the area, and a good alternative when the people on the Toronto stations went into an area that didn't interest me. I will miss him and I wonder who will replace him. Neither of the usual fill-ins they often turn to are very good, so I hope they find someone with experience to take his place. 

Thanks for some great entertainment, Mr. McConnell. You will be missed.   

October 25, 2022 9:20 am  #3

Mr. McConnell is a talented man.
I have always enjoyed his on air efforts including his football play by play
Wishing him the best of luck on his future endeavours

October 25, 2022 11:25 am  #4

I don't know the man but looking at his LinkedIn profile he has no news experience listed, just 22+ years as a talk show host. Running a newsroom isn't a talk show and it sure isn't easy. I speak from 18 years of experience doing it. From a viewers' perspective the CTV London newsroom needs a lot of work. I wish him lots of luck because I think he'll need it. 

October 25, 2022 12:35 pm  #5

I believe he's also the P.D. at CKTB, so he does have management experience, if that counts. 

October 27, 2022 5:34 pm  #6

McConnell told a listener asking him where he was going that he would no longer be on the air in his new position, so we won't be hearing him on CJBK - where he says he started out many years ago. 

One of the things I'll miss most about his show is that it was one of the few that openly talked about radio, like this story about why there was 15 minutes of dead air on the station one afternoon in 2021.

And another great example surfaced Thursday, led by his producer Greg Campagna.

(Campagna, by the way, is great both behind the scenes and on the air, doing wickedly funny impressions of famous people and being right on the ball with music bumpers that cleverly reflect the subject matter, no matter how obscure. He was a great addition to McConnell's show and I hope he'll still contribute with the new host, whoever it turns out to be.)

He recalled how he was once driving the station's 97.7 HTZ-FM company car back from a live remote, when a cop came out of nowhere and pulled him over. He had no idea what he did and was immediately worried that it might hurt him if management found out. 

But when the cop got to the window, he told Campagna that he loved the station and wondered if he had any swag he could have. The relieved employee gave him a T-shirt and some stickers and the officer thanked him, then let him go. That's something that could only happen in radio and it was a great story. 

McConnell was always honest with the audience about what was going on if something screwed up and I appreciated that, especially because in general, I've been there/done that.

Most shows are too invested in non-stop politics or the latest headlines to let these kind of things go to air. But McConnell's show was often filled with great occasional behind-the-scenes radio stories and that may be what I'll miss most of all.

No word yet on who will replace him.