sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 23, 2022 11:13 pm  #1

Register And Research

Any of you who have watched any non simsubbed American television in the last month or so have probably viewed some over the top political ads from Democratic and Republican candidates. While watching a variety of NFL games this afternoon, I noticed a different approach to political advertising. Various NFL players were promoting that there was one day more important than Sunday and that was November 8. Election Day. They stressed the importance of Registering to vote and in my opinion, just as important, Researching your candidates running in your area so that you can make an informed decision on who to vote for. It was the research portion of the ad that really caught my attention.

October 24, 2022 7:37 am  #2

Re: Register And Research

Over the top is an understatement. The Michigan negative ads by Republicans claims Gov. Whitmer wants to put a drag queen in every classroom and another says a school district candidate wants to teach grade school kids how to change their gender. Almost all Democrat candidates are attacking their opponents stand on the the abortion issue. It's brutal but generates lots of revenue for the Detroit stations I guess.

Meanwhile in Ontario it's municipal election day and I've not received a single flyer or knock on the door from ANY candidates for mayor, councillor or school board trustee. I have heard some radio ads but that's about it. From one extreme to the other.

Last edited by zed (October 24, 2022 7:38 am)

October 24, 2022 7:58 am  #3

zed wrote:

Over the top is an understatement. The Michigan negative ads by Republicans claims Gov. Whitmer wants to put a drag queen in every classroom and another says a school district candidate wants to teach grade school kids how to change their gender. Almost all Democrat candidates are attacking their opponents stand on the the abortion issue. It's brutal but generates lots of revenue for the Detroit stations I guess.

Meanwhile in Ontario it's municipal election day and I've not received a single flyer or knock on the door from ANY candidates for mayor, councillor or school board trustee. I have heard some radio ads but that's about it. From one extreme to the other.

Wow. I've had the exact opposite where I am. Endless flyers, non-stop robocalls and election signs everywhere. I guess it's like real estate - location, location, location. 

October 24, 2022 8:34 am  #4

Locally where I am there have been only a few flyers at the door and no visits from any of the candidates.  Surprisingly the local newspaper has made some advertising hay from the election.  Saturday's paper was full of ads for today's election, some of the ads were full page.  Daily newspapers in Ontario at least haven't been getting much political advertising over the past 12 years or so but over the past week, a lot of ads in our local daily paper. I don't recall any TV ads but local radio, especially Citynews Kitchener has had a fair bit of advertising but not huge. CHCH in Hamilton has been running ads for candidates.  

I agree with zed, the ads on Michigan television are over the top and actually comical with the outrageous claims made by all sides. Many of the ads are overly dramatic, some with ominous music, a voice of doom announcer and even flames from the gates of hell.  The advertising has no respect for the voting public and have reduced politics to more of a sports event or childish game.

Our democracy with all of it's many faults seems much healthier and more mature. Did you know that 31 people are running for mayor of Toronto, and 14 for mayor in Ottawa?  Voter turnout for both the municipal elections and even the mid terms traditionally are low.  But this time with the abortion issue in the US, the turnout should be better than normal.  

Last edited by paterson1 (October 24, 2022 8:46 am)

October 24, 2022 8:55 am  #5

We've been in Florida for the past several weeks. In his ads, Marco Rubio is saying his Democratic opponent wants to change boys into girls and that she voted with Nancy Polosi to increase gasoline prices.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.