sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 21, 2022 10:57 am  #1

Legend Dave Charles On Elmnt FM, The Ratings & What's Wrong With Radio

While the veteran consultant doesn't directly refer to the Elmnt FM layoffs in a wide ranging interview with FYINews, he does say he still believes in the station and takes issue with the ratings that show it has almost no audience.

He also decries most radio contests, explains what the medium should be doing to win back audiences, and addresses the idea of an all podcast-all the time format that's coming to North America

Dave Charles Tells It As He Sees It

October 21, 2022 1:17 pm  #2

Re: Legend Dave Charles On Elmnt FM, The Ratings & What's Wrong With Radio

Yet here is a snippet from the interview that I can't argue with!!

Radio must improve the quality of its content overall. Most competitive major market stations have solid music formats.   Radio can and must do a better job at updating local and regional news.  Radio fails to provide adequate live news on the weekends.  Radio is over voice tracked.  As a result, radio is not as current and responsive as it once was.  I know that weekends are prime time for radio listeners.  Most weekends are voiced tracked with no fresh information or news.

October 23, 2022 1:19 pm  #3

rje1 wrote:

All due respect to the great Mr Charles....Elmnt FM is a train wreck of a station. Terrible signal and a format that's way too all over the place. 

The signal issues in Toronto are largely caused by nearby Buffalo's WYRK also transmitting on 106.5 FM at 50,000 watts which causes both contours to overlap as per the image below.  This causes issues, especially in areas near Lake Ontario due to enhanced signal propagation causing CFPT's lower wattage signal being overpowered by WYRK.

The impact of this interference on newer radios has been somewhat mitigated when CFPT also started broadcasting in HD Radio, at least now CFPT's signal is no longer totally being taken over by WYRK's HD signal in certain parts of Burlington and Oakville near the lake.

I do agree that Elmnt FM's format is too overly broad which makes it too hard to compete given its signal deficiencies.  I would strongly suggest focusing on a more niche format.  Electronic Dance Music (EDM) would be perfect given the fact that no other Toronto based station currently focuses on this format.  The Elmnt FM name would also already be suitable and could be maintained.

Last edited by PwrSurge (October 23, 2022 1:44 pm)

October 23, 2022 1:22 pm  #4

PwrSurge wrote:

I do agree that Elmnt FM's format is too overly broad which makes it too hard to compete given its signal deficiencies.  I would strongly suggest focusing on a more niche format.  Electronic Dance Music (EDM) would be perfect given the fact that no other Toronto based station currently focuses on this format.  The Elmnt FM name would also already be suitable and could be maintained. 

But the entire licence of the station is based on serving the Indigenous communities of Toronto. I'm not sure if an EDM format would pass muster with the CRTC or if that would meet the criteria of their Promise of Performance. I could be wrong, of course, but I fear they may be locked in to a shaky playlist that's almost doomed to have a low listener level. 

October 23, 2022 1:54 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

But the entire licence of the station is based on serving the Indigenous communities of Toronto. I'm not sure if an EDM format would pass muster with the CRTC or if that would meet the criteria of their Promise of Performance. I could be wrong, of course, but I fear they may be locked in to a shaky playlist that's almost doomed to have a low listener level. 

Obviously Indigenous elements (no pun intended) would still be maintained and there could still be specialty block programming during evenings and weekends but the weekday format needs to be more focused.

There is actually a growing indigenous EDM music movement as it has close ties to electronic Pow Wow music.  One notable example is A Tribe Called Red who recently performed in Toronto. 

October 23, 2022 2:19 pm  #6

They could do an EDM focused format within their current license.

But the answer to being overly-broad (and they're not as broad as when they launched if you've listened lately) is not to be overly niche. EDM cannot move the ratings needle.

Broad made sense so they could integrate the Indigenous music into the regular playlist instead of hiding it in specialty shows. 

Unfortunately, there is no mainstream format that will work on that signal and at the same time fulfill both their stated goals and their license.

They'd be better off pulling out of ratings, leaning into Indigenous content and financing it through government grants, listener donations, and corporate underwriting.

October 23, 2022 2:50 pm  #7

I think Elmnt has been correct to try and attract a broader audience in Toronto and subtly and tactfully introduce Indigenous music and artists to the mainstream.  The real issue for them to me is not so much the format which in my opinion isn't bad but rather as mentioned the signal and the fact they are a very new FM station.

Any new station  in the market doesn't have the same interest or curiosity as 30 years ago.  There are more stations available now fighting for audience, and big chunks of certain demographics just don't listen to the radio as much. 

So for any of the new stations like Sauga 960, Elmnt, CFAJ in St. Catherines it is a real problem to even get noticed especially in a large market like Toronto or Southern Ontario. Even harder to grow your audience since most people seem to be loyal to their radio of choice.  I think it would be surprising to see that many people don't really listen to more than a few radio stations regularly, even though many more are available. 

Now this is not the case for many on SOWNY since we are people of the industry, or have a keen interest in broadcasting. We still bounce around the dial and some enjoy listening to radio off air from far away.

However the average listener is not usually posting on radio forums or always aware of any new stations in town or format changes.  Lack of local media coverage is also a factor and people simply do not hear or read anything about changes in the radio landscape. 

October 23, 2022 3:55 pm  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

But the answer to being overly-broad (and they're not as broad as when they launched if you've listened lately) is not to be overly niche. EDM cannot move the ratings needle.

You would be surprised how much potential listenership that EDM could have, especially in a major city such as Toronto.  Did you watch that YouTube video I posted to see how large the crowd was at an outdoor indigenous EDM act?  To be honest, with only a 0.1 or a 0.2 share, there's nothing to lose in trying.  The key to success with an EDM station however is extensive presence at live concerts and nightclubs featuring this type of music.

Bottom line is that given their signal deficiencies, they can't afford to compete against any of the other CHR stations in the market.  If Miami, FL can support a full time EDM station (WZFL 93.5fm) with less than 500k residents then certainly Toronto at almost 6 times the population could do the same.

Last edited by PwrSurge (October 23, 2022 3:57 pm)

October 24, 2022 8:19 pm  #9

PwrSurge wrote:

You would be surprised how much potential listenership that EDM could have, especially in a major city such as Toronto.

No I wouldn't.

Bottom line is a genre has to have a least a dozen artists who could sell out major local concert venues to attract the critical mass needed for the current ratings system to even notice them. EDM doesn't have that.

Additionally, the audience for EDM has never had a radio home, so they were one of the first to embrace alternate platforms. Why would they go to FM?

WZFL isn't even in the ratings.

Last edited by RadioAaron (October 24, 2022 8:25 pm)

October 24, 2022 8:23 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

Any new station  in the market doesn't have the same interest or curiosity as 30 years ago.  There are more stations available now fighting for audience, and big chunks of certain demographics just don't listen to the radio as much. 

So for any of the new stations like Sauga 960, Elmnt, CFAJ in St. Catherines it is a real problem to even get noticed especially in a large market like Toronto or Southern Ontario. Even harder to grow your audience since most people seem to be loyal to their radio of choice.  I think it would be surprising to see that many people don't really listen to more than a few radio stations regularly, even though many more are available. 

100% correct. A new station in 2022 can only work if it's providing something for which there's an overwhelming pent-up demand.