sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 20, 2022 8:54 pm  #1

An Old Familiar Voice Unexpectedly Turns Up On NT1010

First time I've heard this - on the NewsTalk Tonight show Thursday, they went to a spot break and one of the commercials that played was a very old sponsor with a very familiar voice - Barb DiGiulio shilling for Metalex. It's the first time I've heard her voice on the station since she was let go in February 2021. 

It was kind of odd to hear it, especially in her old time slot. It was definitely not a new spot, simply recycling an old one. But I couldn't help but wonder - if Jim Richards could come back after such a long absence, could DiGiulio also be a potential voice waiting in the wings? 

October 20, 2022 9:04 pm  #2

Re: An Old Familiar Voice Unexpectedly Turns Up On NT1010

I didn't realize CFRB allowed women on the air. 

October 20, 2022 9:10 pm  #3

Their new top of the hour I.D. is a woman's voice, for whatever that's worth.

Most of their newscasters, even those from CTV, are women. 

The host of their Friday Free-For-All hour is also a woman. 

But it's true that none of them actually host a traditional talk show on the station.

October 20, 2022 9:15 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

But I couldn't help but wonder - if Jim Richards could come back after such a long absence, could DiGiulio also be a potential voice waiting in the wings? 

Actually, I miss hearing her on Fan 590. 1430 before that. 
She's a great classic!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 20, 2022 9:17 pm  #5

I thought this was going to be about Michael coren

October 20, 2022 9:22 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Their new top of the hour I.D. is a woman's voice, for whatever that's worth.

To me she sounds a bit young to be considered a woman, she's a girl. And her lightweight voice comes across more Virgin radio than Newstalk 1010, but I guess that's who they chose for whatever reason.

I'd love to hear Barb D. on the radio again. She was warm, friendly, and interested in the people she interviewed on the evening show.

Amanda Galbraith, normally on Friday, is worth a listen to but I believe she's on maternity leave.

Last edited by betaylored (October 20, 2022 9:33 pm)

October 20, 2022 9:33 pm  #7

betaylored wrote:

Amanda Galbraith, normally on Friday, is worth a listen to but I believe she's on maternity leave.

And I believe Deb Hutton will be taking her place for the foreseeable future. 

October 20, 2022 10:26 pm  #8

Deb Hutton who was a Mike Harris apologist and was allegedly in the room when Harris gave the orders to clear the Indigenous people out of the park that resulted in the death of Dudley George.

October 20, 2022 10:28 pm  #9

rje1 wrote:

Hansa wrote:

I didn't realize CFRB allowed women on the air. 

Did they fire Reshmi ?

No, but I have to admit I'd forgotten about her - out of earshot, out of mind, I guess.

I rarely listen to her but temporarily tuned into her show during a spot break on another station Thursday. What I heard confirmed my previous impression. She had a guest on and, as usual, was talking over him for 80-90% of the interview. It was terrible radio. As John Moore often points out on the morning Roundtable, it doesn't work if two people are speaking at the same time. From what I can tell, this happens a lot.

But that seems lost on someone who appears to be arrogant, a know-it-all and overly self-righteous. I find the show unlistenable because of it. And yes, Barb DiGiulio would be a far better choice to co-host.