sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 12, 2022 9:31 am  #1

Ryan Reynolds Making "John Candy" Documentary

One Canadian is about to make a documentary on the life of a legendary one. A look at the life of actor/comedian and SCTV veteran John Candy has the approval of the late star's family, which is always a good sign. The finished product promises never-before-seen footage and clips of the laugh legend.

No word yet on exactly when it will be ready. 

Ryan Reynolds And Colin Hanks Are Making A Documentary About Comedian John Candy

October 12, 2022 10:10 am  #2

Re: Ryan Reynolds Making "John Candy" Documentary

Since the Candy family has given approval for this project perhaps we will see some home movies and/or personal photos. Most of his movies made me laugh histerically. The only movie that didn't was his last, Wagons East. Very disappointing. IMO. He would be 71 now.

October 12, 2022 11:36 am  #3

mace wrote:

Since the Candy family has given approval for this project perhaps we will see some home movies and/or personal photos. Most of his movies made me laugh histerically. The only movie that didn't was his last, Wagons East. Very disappointing. IMO. He would be 71 now.

Yes, the article indicates a promise of never-before-seen personal and movie footage of the late actor. 

"...the Candy family had given Maximum Effort special access to the beloved actor's "archive and home video footage" for the project."

October 12, 2022 11:47 am  #4

"Planes, Trains and Automobiles" & "Uncle Buck" are my John Candy fav movies .. 

October 12, 2022 12:42 pm  #5

Everyone always said what a nice person John Candy was on and off the screen.  It is fitting that Ryan Reynold's is involved with the documentary since most people say the same about him.

Candy's characters were always funny, vulnerable and never mean.   That's one reason why so many  liked SCTV.  The humour and sketches, always had an element of truth, were poking fun and situations were implied but they never went too far to humiliate or hurt anyone.

Martin Short mentioned in an interview when SCTV moved to Cinemax for their final season they were told that they could go much further on cable with language and sexuality than they could on network or syndicated over the air television. Short said that this was not their type of humour and they wouldn't do that anyway.    

Many are still waiting for the SCTV documentary and special that Martin Sorceress is supposedly working on.  Has Jimmy Kimmel ever said anything about this?  He hosted the gathering of the SCTV alumni at the Elgin Theatre. In May of last year Netflix said the special was still a go to be broadcast but was delayed because of Sorceress other commitments.  Prior to this Joe Flaherty said on facebook that the project had been shelved. 

October 12, 2022 12:46 pm  #6

I wonder if they'll also concentrate on his other love besides movies and TV - being a part owner of the Toronto Argos. He would frequently appear at the games, and I think fans loved him more than the team!

October 12, 2022 1:16 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I wonder if they'll also concentrate on his other love besides movies and TV - being a part owner of the Toronto Argos. He would frequently appear at the games, and I think fans loved him more than the team!

Candy also had plans to start up a sports television network with WIC communications and a few other partners.  They were scheduled to appear before the CRTC but this of course never happened with his passing. 

I am sure his love of football, part ownership of the Argos and the scooping up of the number one NFL draft pick in 1991 will all be part of the documentary.  Candy played football through high school at Neil McNeil. 

October 13, 2022 1:27 pm  #8

ET Canada had a little blurb on the John Candy documentary and host Carlos Bustamante mentioned that  SCTV was initially produced in the same studio that ET Canada uses.  Global was the original network to produce the show from 1976-79.  Global in this era was only broadcasting in Southern Ontario. Carlos also mentioned that Candy also helped to launch the successful YTV network and was host of a special when the network launched in September 1988.      

October 13, 2022 2:30 pm  #9

October 31, 2022 11:02 pm  #10

https://twitter.com/TSting18/status/1587115704452530176?t=Tju5DjlF0BZLHVgD_iJqIQ&s=09

Today would have been John Candy's birthday, here's a montage of his work.

November 1, 2022 12:42 am  #11

John was born on October 31st. 1950.  He would have been 72 today.  John's other loves besides movies and Canadian football was radio.  John and I did dozens of radio commercials together during the mid 1970's and 3 radio series together from 1986 to 1991 - 2 in Canada, one in the U.S. only.  Plus John loved music!

Last edited by Doug Thompson (November 1, 2022 2:28 pm)

November 1, 2022 8:04 am  #12

Both of John's children have careers in the movie/television industry.  His daughter Jennifer is a producer/actress and director. She also has worked in live theatre.  Son Christopher is an actor/producer/editor/writer.  

November 1, 2022 2:32 pm  #13

photo website hosting

PICTURED: Phil Collins, Doug Thompson (head writer & producer/director of Radio Kandy"). John Candy and Jeff Sheridan (co-producer and engineer for (Radio Kandy")   This was taken in 1990 when we were in year two of "Radio Kandy" in Los Angeles.,

Last edited by Doug Thompson (November 1, 2022 2:33 pm)

November 1, 2022 2:35 pm  #14

My Frostbacks business card.  Frostbacks was John Candy's LA based  production company. get a url for a photo

Last edited by Doug Thompson (November 1, 2022 2:35 pm)

November 1, 2022 6:29 pm  #15

paterson1 wrote:

Both of John's children have careers in the movie/television industry.  His daughter Jennifer is a producer/actress and director. She also has worked in live theatre.  Son Christopher is an actor/producer/editor/writer.  

https://twitter.com/ChrisCandy4u/status/1587226453778698240?t=rx44yQbfoZK55eJt4YXP1w&s=19

Loved seeing the memories from Doug Thompson and this from paterson1. And the enthusiastic number of people on Twitter who showed Chris they remember and miss his dad.

Last edited by betaylored (November 1, 2022 6:31 pm)