sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2022 6:34 pm  #1

Art Laboe

Art Laboe was 97 and spent 79 years in radio. It was Laboe who coined the term "Oldies But Goodies."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/longtime-oldies-dj-art-laboe-dies/2022/10/10/362267ce-48e9-11ed-8153-96ee97b218d2_story.html

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 11, 2022 2:38 pm  #2

Re: Art Laboe

Sad, to hear.  Art had a great life and was a respected member of the LA broadcast and music scene.  When I worked in Hollywood in 1970, I used to see Art at Musso & Franks restaurant on Hollywood Boulevard fairly regularly.  A couple of times when I was with my boss Ted Randal, Art invited us to sit with him where he regaled us with stories of Hollywood and the music biz in the 1950s.

October 11, 2022 9:56 pm  #3

I believe he held the record for oldest DJ still on the air. I can't think of anyone who even comes close to 97 and still hosting a weekly radio show. (By comparison, Cousin Brucie is 86, and still appears Saturday nights on WABC. But he's a baby compared to Laboe!)

That was an incredible run, likely never to be duplicated.

KNBC-TV in L.A. paid a nice video tribute to the late disc jockey. You can see it here. 

October 12, 2022 9:19 am  #4

I guess Art Laboe was the west coast version of Alan Freed but lived longer and wasn't ruined by the 1960 payola scandal which was almost entirely focused on east coast disc jockeys.