sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 3, 2022 12:15 pm  #1

Evan Soloman

Evan just announced he is leaving 1010. His last broadcast will be on Thursday.  He's leaving for a position in New York.

October 3, 2022 12:26 pm  #2

Re: Evan Soloman

Let the speculations begin as to what 1010 will do with the time slot.

I vote for The Robert Turner Show tho snowballs chance...

I wish Evan Solomon well, he will leave a huge gap in the Newstalk brain trust.

October 3, 2022 12:33 pm  #3

This is sad news. His was one of the best shows on the air around here, with insight into politics and no party being spared from some rough questions. Wow. I guess this means a new host for the long running Question Period on CTV, as well. 

Good for Evan. 

Bad for us listeners. I will really miss his presence. 

October 3, 2022 12:39 pm  #4

Did he happen to say who he's going to be working for? Is he staying with CTV in a new capacity or going on an American network?

October 3, 2022 12:54 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Did he happen to say who he's going to be working for? Is he staying with CTV in a new capacity or going on an American network?

He said on his twitter that he will remain a special correspondent for CTV.  Hope he enjoys NYC and the new job with Eurasia Group!

October 3, 2022 12:55 pm  #7

DaCosta wrote:

Evan just announced he is leaving 1010. His last broadcast will be on Thursday.  He's leaving for a position in New York.

Art dealing capital of the world!

October 3, 2022 12:58 pm  #8

Solomon did start out in publishing so this isn't completely out of left field. 

Last edited by Hansa (October 3, 2022 12:58 pm)

October 3, 2022 2:38 pm  #9

From the Canadian Press:

Evan Solomon exits CTV's 'Power Play' for publishing role at digital media company

Solomon won't even be doing the full week on air. He's off Tuesday and Wednesday, to observe Yom Kippur with his mother in Toronto. (He recently lost his father, so this is a tough one.)

I hope they let him do one last Question Period to say goodbye, especially since it's been off the major network for three of the past four weeks, replaced by early football.

October 3, 2022 4:34 pm  #10

Evan mentioned that he and his wife are empty nesters now so the decision to move to New York was easier. He is still young enough for a career change and big opportunity like this.

This also could work out for CTV since now they have someone right in NYC.  Soloman mentioned that he wasn't totally leaving CTV and would still be involved with them for special assignments.  It will be interesting to see what he says on Power Play today and later in the week.  Whether he does another Question Period is likely up to Evan.  He starts the new job on Oct. 17 so time is tight.  There is a chance that he will only be on Power Play today and Thursday. 

October 3, 2022 5:23 pm  #11

You couldn't pay me enough to move to the USA. 

October 3, 2022 6:15 pm  #12

cash wrote:

You couldn't pay me enough to move to the USA. 

Ditto!

October 4, 2022 8:02 am  #14

Too bad for us listeners, I wish Evan well and will miss his insight.

October 6, 2022 1:22 pm  #15

Thursday's final show is a chance for Evan to have his favourite guests on - including John Moore - and say goodbye after seven years on the air. It verges on the emotional but it's clear many listeners will miss him. 

No word yet on who will replace him, what the new show might be called - or if the format and focus will remain the same. 

October 6, 2022 1:47 pm  #16

Could it be time for the one and only Stafford to make his triumphant return to radio?

One can dream.

It will probably be some woke transitioning First Nation member though.

October 6, 2022 2:03 pm  #17

Listened to his show today.  Not gonna lie - shed some tears. Such a class act. Not sure how he managed to hold it together.

October 6, 2022 2:21 pm  #18

I thought he was a class act to the last. His final segment was him introducing past and current producers and board ops, the people behind the scenes who make the show work but toil in obscurity, never really getting any publicity or mention. As someone who spent many years producing talk shows and toiling behind the scenes in other capacities, I appreciate what he did. 

He even gave a shout out to Mike Bendixen, the now former PD of CFRB, another Bell casualty. Generally, people who are let go are rarely ever mentioned on air again. I thought that was a nice touch. 

I will miss the show a lot. Whoever follows at 1 PM Monday has big shoes to fill. 

October 6, 2022 2:22 pm  #19

Mr magoogain wrote:

Could it be time for the one and only Stafford to make his triumphant return to radio?

One can dream.

ah, the "woke" cliche crutch .. how many MAGA caps do you own? 

October 6, 2022 2:27 pm  #20

g121 wrote:

Mr magoogain wrote:

One can dream.

ah, the "woke" cliche crutch .. how many MAGA caps do you own? 

Just one