sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 30, 2022 4:20 pm  #1

Whatever Happened To 3D TV?

If there was ever an overhyped "future of television," it had to be the 'promise' of watching your favourite TV show or movie in 3D. I can't say I've ever seen the picture it produced, but I've always maintained that as long as "special glasses" were needed to appreciate the experience, it would never catch on. Who needs the hassle? And besides, from what I've been told, the effect was not really all that good. 

Still, some stations occasionally tried to present a show in glorious 3D. In 1982, for example, Global ran an ad promoting a fairly obscure movie it was showing in 3 dimensions. I've never seen "Inferno," but I can guess it wasn't all that hot!

I think 3D has gone the way of the dinosaur and the VHS, although if they ever figure out a way to present it without you needing a new TV and those damned annoying glasses, it could make a comeback. 

Here's a pretty interesting overview of the technology that never really came into its own:

3D TV Is Dead—What You Need To Know

September 30, 2022 4:46 pm  #2

Re: Whatever Happened To 3D TV?

I remember when Citytv ran a few 3D films, they had some pretty cool promotions with advertisers for the distribution of 3D glasses.  The effects weren't bad.  I seem to think this was before Canadian stations went to HD i.e. 720P or 1080i.  I suspect that Citytv made some money from 3D - given the advertiser support.

But I also remember seeing 3D TV sets, that required electronic gogglely gadgets at Bestbuy about 10 or 12 years ago.  Since everyone in the family needed to be wearing the gadgets and you only got one or 2 gadgets with your purchase, it was pretty clear to me it would never fly as a consumer product.  My only recollection was that there was a pay per view channel on ExpressVu  dedicated to 3d content and perhaps another channel that had occasional content.  I'd bet that the viewers numbered in the dozens...at best.  Big fail.

September 30, 2022 4:53 pm  #3

To me, the only 3D TV that ever really worked out was this one:

September 30, 2022 4:58 pm  #4

The only 3D TV broadcast I remember was a Rolling Stones concert, with glasses available at Becker's

September 30, 2022 6:07 pm  #5

3D movies/TV - certainly no 'Odorama'

September 30, 2022 6:43 pm  #6

I've always been fascinated with 3D.
I remember that broadcast of "Gorilla at Large" on Global in 1982, where you had to get the glasses from Mac's.
Then in the late 80's during Halloween, WGRZ did a 3D night with a Three Stooges movie.
Back in the early 90's, I bought a VHS tape of some 3D Sci-Fi movie from the 50's that had a lot of bubbles and a monster... and with 3D glasses packed in.  Didn't really work.

Well, fast forward to 2021, and I picked up a used 3D TV and Blu-ray player.  There are definitely some movies that just don't take advantage of 3D... but lots that do.
The 3D Rarities series from www.3darchive.com has some awesome Blu Ray films that really demonstrate how 3D should work on a tv.  Unfortunately, a lot of movies don't take advantage of their techniques.

Give it about 20 years and it will become popular again for a new generation.

Davester. 

September 30, 2022 10:51 pm  #7

Haven't watched 3D TV. Saw a the remake of Clash of the Titans in 3D at the cinema a few years ago. I don't know if it's because I have a bit of colour blindness and if that would interfere with the effectiveness of the glasses but I found the picture kind of dark and the whole thing gave me a headache so I have a avoided 3D versions of films since then (I think the fad has faded again anyway since I haven't noticed 3D options at  Cineplex lately).

October 1, 2022 12:22 am  #8

The most recent attempt at 3D TV left nearly half of people complaining of tired eyes and about a quarter of people complaining of headaches for a short time after watching. People who I know who watched it said it was more like a pop up book than real 3D. Not surprisingly it didn’t take off.