sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 29, 2022 7:32 am  #1

CBC Says It Won't Remove "Objectivity" Requirements For Its Reporters

I'm often accused of being anti-CBC, although I always thought news is something they did pretty well. So I won't comment on the story below, and leave it to those here to decide what they think of the idea that its reporters may no longer have to show objectivity in their reporting, if a recommendation comes to pass. Whatever your thoughts on this, it is certainly a different policy than most newsrooms. 

CBC reportedly considering dropping requirement for journalistic objectivity

September 29, 2022 10:40 am  #2

Re: CBC Says It Won't Remove "Objectivity" Requirements For Its Reporters

I haven't watched or taken CBC news as a serious source for decades.

September 29, 2022 11:13 am  #3

Interesting that this article is from the National Post.  Post Media isn't exactly the most objective themselves. 

For over 20 years they have been consistently writing misleading and often inaccurate stories regarding CBC.  They have certainly have been ramping up the negative rhetoric lately. 

Funny thing with Post Media and all of their horror stories about the corpse is the fact that no other media groups ever pick up or follow through with any investigations of their own.  Even Rebel Media tends to just regurgitate what the National Post has already reported on. 

And RA,  hopefully not to be picking on you too much today, but you have stated various times that you hate the CBC.  And let's be honest, you do wallow in the negative whenever anything regarding the network comes up.  So it is logical that some would think you would be anti CBC. 

September 29, 2022 11:17 am  #4

I am a regular Corrie Street viewer. There are always plenty of promos for the local Toronto CBC News at 6. They always say Toronto's most trusted newscast. Perhaps. But like most people. I don't watch. They have been dead last, or close to it for years amongst Toronto area dinnertime newscasts.

September 29, 2022 12:44 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I'm often accused of being anti-CBC, although I always thought news is something they did pretty well. So I won't comment on the story below, and leave it to those here to decide what they think of the idea that its reporters may no longer have to show objectivity in their reporting, if a recommendation comes to pass. Whatever your thoughts on this, it is certainly a different policy than most newsrooms. 

CBC reportedly considering dropping requirement for journalistic objectivity

I assumed that ship sailed years ago.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 29, 2022 12:51 pm  #6

Hard to trust stories from Postmedia and Sunmedia these days. The irony is, the article is about bias.

Last edited by Holliday (September 29, 2022 12:52 pm)

September 29, 2022 1:21 pm  #7

Despite P1 trying to goad me into this, I promised in the opening post not to express my opinion in this thread and I will honour that pledge. He is, of course, free to assume whatever he wants, although I do think it's important to point out that this story did not originate with Post Media. The article actually cites La Presse as the source. It's a French language Montreal newspaper, that is owned by an independent non-profit trust. 

September 29, 2022 2:03 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Despite P1 trying to goad me into this, I promised in the opening post not to express my opinion in this thread and I will honour that pledge. He is, of course, free to assume whatever he wants, although I do think it's important to point out that this story did not originate with Post Media. The article actually cites La Presse as the source. It's a French language Montreal newspaper, that is owned by an independent non-profit trust. 

Yes, but filtered through Postmedia’s right wing lens. And if you dig into the actual facts, it’s about being able to express things like “racism is bad.”

September 29, 2022 3:07 pm  #9

Holliday wrote:

Hard to trust stories from Postmedia and Sunmedia these days. The irony is, the article is about bias.

I don't trust any media. Objectivity in journalism seems to have gone the way of the Passenger Pigeon.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 29, 2022 4:41 pm  #10

Update: Only fair to note that Post Media reporter Tristan Hopper, who wrote this story, admitted on Oakley's show Thursday that he never contacted the CBC for comment, which is a huge flaw. He explained that the story originated from La Presse, and was in French and he went with their report. 

If he had contacted the Corp., they say they would have told him they have no interest in implementing such a policy. At least for now. Hopper agreed that was a pretty serious omission. 

September 29, 2022 5:12 pm  #11

Well if journalists are going to step into the ring they should be prepared for when the gloves start flying.

September 29, 2022 7:06 pm  #12

To its credit, the National Post has published a new top to this story, and spared no criticism of the reporter who took it to print without getting a comment from the subject of the piece. They've also changed the headline, while republishing the original.

EDITOR’S NOTE: It is somewhat ironic that in a news story about journalistic standards, this edition of First Reading did not perform one of the most basic journalistic tasks of reaching out to CBC for comment. In a statement issued to the National Post after this story’s publication, Editor in Chief Brodie Fenlon said that while they are looking at re-interpreting their journalistic principles through the “lens of inclusion,” they have no intention of rescinding the objectivity standard.

“CBC/Radio-Canada has one set of journalistic standards and practices (JSP). Impartiality remains a core principle of our joint standards. The JSP applies to all journalists in our French- and English-language services, regardless of their identity, race or ethnicity,” he wrote.

CBC's response

CBC says it is not considering dropping requirement for journalistic objectivity

September 29, 2022 7:57 pm  #13

NP publishing falsehoods? Perish the thought.