sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 19, 2022 8:26 pm  #1

Another Rogers Simsub F**K Up

Watching the Titans/Bills game on WGRZ. At 8pm The Voice shows up on the CTV2 simsub which is normal. You would think Rogers would be aware of these programming changes. I phoned Rogers tech dept and they would register my complaint. I know Rogers has all their simsubs on timers. You would think someone was there monitoring these things. Yes I am aware the game is on TSN.That is not the point. What if WGRZ was my only viewing option. As of 8:30 still no football on WGRZ. Totally incompetent employees!

September 19, 2022 8:45 pm  #2

Re: Another Rogers Simsub F**K Up

8:40pm. Rogers finally woke up corrected the problem that they created. Still incompetent jerks!

September 20, 2022 12:46 am  #3

mace wrote:

8:40pm. Rogers finally woke up corrected the problem that they created. Still incompetent jerks!

Rogers is in major violation for interfering with something that is not 95% identical programming.

Do something! Don't let them get away with it!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 21, 2022 8:55 am  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

mace wrote:

Rogers is in major violation for interfering with something that is not 95% identical programming.

Do something! Don't let them get away with it!

I plan to call Rogers today about this. Problem is, I don't think many/any of their staff know anything about simsub. I suspect all the simsubs are set on timers. However, when there is alternate programming on the U.S. channel, someone should be available to manually shut the timer off for the occasion. AND the football game was listed in their on screen digital guide. Ignite guide. I don't know. Still no excuse for this!

September 21, 2022 10:04 am  #5

Rogers simsub operations were handled out of 855 York Mills Rd.  and it is my understanding that they still are at this location. 

Last September, Rogers moved, or centralized, the simsub for their other Ontario licenced areas to Toronto as well.  Example, Hamilton, Hamilton Mountain area, Mount Hope, Caledonia  and others.
These Rogers areas had been handled out of the Cable 14 building on Dundurn St. in Hamilton. 

As well, Cogeco had simsub service performed out of the Cable 14 building as well (both Cogeco and Rogers operate community programming services as one joint or co-operative service being Cable 14).

Cogeco now contracts simsub operations thru Clearcable Networks in Dundas (ironically, Clearcable is now owned by Rogers, after being purchased last September).

While the systems are automated with programming lists / eligible programs and US stations identified for channel substitution, there are still human operators who are supposed to monitor and intervene in the case of last minute programming changes. Typically, the Canadian TV channel will notify the cable simsub operator(s), Bell TV,  Shaw Direct via an enterprise messaging platform  ie.  SLACK as to the  overrun or last minute change/update.

Last edited by Glen Warren (September 21, 2022 10:05 am)

September 21, 2022 10:30 am  #6

I spoke to a Rogers rep this morning and as I suspected knew nothing about simsub. I explained how the process worked and she noted all of my information. Someone is to call me back tomorrow. I always suspected that there were employees monitoring last minute programming changes to U.S. schedules so that the simsub can be eliminated for the program in question. A two or three minute delay, I can understand. 45 minutes? Someone is clearly not doing their job correctly.

September 21, 2022 10:54 am  #7

Please let us know if you ever do actually get that call back. My money is on you never hearing about this again from them, unless you push and push and push it. 

September 21, 2022 11:28 am  #8

Isn't it nice to know Rogers can just do anything they want?  

& you wonder why so many people are using IPTV to watch sports these days instead of cable! 

September 21, 2022 1:35 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Please let us know if you ever do actually get that call back. My money is on you never hearing about this again from them, unless you push and push and push it. 

I will and I won't take your bet because  I am pretty sure I will lose. I don't expect to hear a response.

September 21, 2022 3:11 pm  #10

Bell had problems on Week 1.  I phoned and was talking to someone who had no idea what the issue was.  I agree. There should be someone sitting in front of the screens ready to switch to the American signal when the Canadian broadcaster goes to something else.
Another example of corporate incompetence.

September 22, 2022 12:03 pm  #11

Will someone please tell Rogers that Judge Judy is no longer airing @ 7 pm (our time)
It is now Kiro 7 News @ 4PM. 
Gee it sure would be nice to watch Kiro 7 news @ 4.
Instead, it's an infomercial blocking out KIRO.
THERE IS NO REASON to keep doing that.
The only reason why the infomercials aired was because Buffalo NY's Fox 29 was airing the same Judge Judy program.
NOW CURRENTLY 
there is no other channel airing Kiro 7 News @ 4. (7 pm our time)
They need to unblock and remove the infomercials so Toronto viewers can properly see Kiro 7 news @ 4.

September 23, 2022 9:22 am  #12

I did hear back from Rogers this morning. Alex, like the other rep, knew nothing about simsub. I simply explained how simsub worked with the timers etc. That this was a program exception and my polite rant that the Rogers simsub monitors should have noticed the change within 5 minutes, not 45 minutes! I also brought up the KIRO/Judge Judy issue. An open ticket has been created for this. I will receive a text, when the issue is resolved. I mentioned to Alex that the on-screen guide reflects that Judge Judy no longer airs on KIRO. I guess we will have to wait 48 hours to see if the situation has been corrected. I at least have a ticket to followup if it isn't. I have confidence it will be. Stay tuned!

September 23, 2022 9:43 am  #13

The screw up should have been corrected long before this.  Corporate incompetence.

September 23, 2022 9:44 am  #14

"I will receive a text, when the issue is resolved."

How, exactly, will this issue ever be resolved? It happened days ago and the situation is over.

Talk about a meaningless answer. It sounds like a moment from Question Period in Ottawa where no politician ever actually answers a query. Perhaps the Rogers reps have been studying them on CPAC. 

September 23, 2022 10:11 am  #15

mace wrote:

I did hear back from Rogers this morning. Alex, like the other rep, knew nothing about simsub. I simply explained how simsub worked with the timers etc. That this was a program exception and my polite rant that the Rogers simsub monitors should have noticed the change within 5 minutes, not 45 minutes! I also brought up the KIRO/Judge Judy issue. An open ticket has been created for this. I will receive a text, when the issue is resolved. I mentioned to Alex that the on-screen guide reflects that Judge Judy no longer airs on KIRO. I guess we will have to wait 48 hours to see if the situation has been corrected. I at least have a ticket to followup if it isn't. I have confidence it will be. Stay tuned!

Thank-you for all your effort so far!

September 23, 2022 11:16 am  #16

RadioActive wrote:

"I will receive a text, when the issue is resolved."

How, exactly, will this issue ever be resolved? It happened days ago and the situation is over.

Talk about a meaningless answer. It sounds like a moment from Question Period in Ottawa where no politician ever actually answers a query. Perhaps the Rogers reps have been studying them on CPAC. 

the text is for the KIRO/Judge Judy/Infomercial issue which is apparently still happening. This can be, and hopefully will be corrected within 24 to 48 hours which is Rogers timeline. As for the initial screwup with WGRZ, you are correct. It is over. What's done is done. I just wanted to let Rogers know, the next time there is a last minute program change, ensure the simsub timers are off for the occasion. I can accept mistakes happen. If the error had been corrected in three or four minutes, no problem. The fact that it took forty five minutes is what put me on spin cycle.

September 23, 2022 11:31 am  #17

To be fair, it is quite possible most people wouldn't have noticed that Judge Judy had disappeared from KIRO. Most people in the GTA would have little interest in local Seattle news so Rogers may not have been aware of the schedule change. Now that this error has been brought to their attention, they have no reason not to correct the situation in a timely manner. Personally, I don't care about KIRO News @ 4pm. But this could have happened to a program I am interested in.

September 23, 2022 4:51 pm  #18

I received a text from Rogers at 1:45pm today saying that my problem has been corrected and my case number has been closed. Have to tune into KIRO at 7pm to see if there is news or an infomercial.

September 23, 2022 7:52 pm  #19

Well I turned on KIRO at 7pm and it was an infomercial for portable generators. Back to Rogers. This time I was able to speak to someone more senior. Again someone was not aware of simsub. I patiently explained the situation again. Whoever, closed the ticket simply wrote "Local broadcast issue. Should sort itself out" I said no it is a Rogers issue. You are the ones who are inserting the infomercial. KIRO is running a newscast which should be viewing as we speak She assured me it will get corrected. Tune in again Monday for our next very exciting episode to find out if KIRO News @4 will ever be seen in Toronto again! I'm like a dog with a bone on this. Ain't gonna quit now.

September 23, 2022 7:55 pm  #20

Toronto won't rest until they can watch Seattle's 4pm news!

Maybe go for a walk, or grab a book?

September 23, 2022 9:12 pm  #21

RadioAaron wrote:

you are missing the point. It could be a program that you enjoy that is blocked by a Rogers infomercial, not the fact we can't get KIRO News.

September 24, 2022 12:56 am  #22

mace wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

you are missing the point. It could be a program that you enjoy that is blocked by a Rogers infomercial, not the fact we can't get KIRO News.

THANK-YOU! 

September 26, 2022 7:02 pm  #23

They're still running infomercials, blocking out Kiro 7 news.
This is unacceptable.

September 26, 2022 7:04 pm  #24

Nobody cares

September 26, 2022 7:59 pm  #25

Radiowiz wrote:

This is unacceptable.

I guess I will make another call to Rogers tomorrow.

September 28, 2022 7:03 pm  #26

mace wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

This is unacceptable.

& they're still running infomercials, blocking out Kiro news @ 4 (7 our time)

Something needs to be done about this ASAP.  

September 30, 2022 10:16 am  #27

Radiowiz wrote:

mace wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

This is unacceptable.

& they're still running infomercials, blocking out Kiro news @ 4 (7 our time)

Something needs to be done about this ASAP.  
I received  a text from Rogers this morning at 7:25. "Update to ticket #... There's been a delay in fixing the Rogers television service problem you told us about. Our technical teams are working on it. We're sorry it's taking so long. We will provide an update as soon as we can"