sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 21, 2022 4:22 pm  #1

PlutoTV Coming To Canada In December

Finally, one of the best free streaming services on the web will be available to all Canadians without a VPN. 

In case you're not familiar with PlutoTV, it houses a vast array of free movies and TV shows, with a mixture of hundreds of so-called "Live" TV channels and On Demand shows. Just about everything you can think of is there, including a plethora of current CBS shows like Ghosts, movies like Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Anchorman and War of the Worlds. 

There's also a 24-hour Alex Trebek Jeopardy channel, if you feel in the mood to compete, and a never-ending Bob Barker-era Price Is Right feed. And there's classic TV, ranging from Johnny Carson's Tonight Show and Perry Mason to Dick van Dyke and All In The Family.

The site is owned by CBS/Paramount and will be repped here by Corus, so you may see some Global shows sneaking in on the Canadian version. 

But there's still no word on whether the rights to all of those shows will transfer to Canada, so some may not be accessible here.

It officially debuts on December 1st and is one of the better free services on the web. 

Those with a VPN set to the U.S. can sample it here. 

Pluto TV to launch in Canada in December

September 22, 2022 2:27 am  #2

Re: PlutoTV Coming To Canada In December

Looks like you need VPN to get the best of both worlds. 
The Canadian version leaves out a Sci-Fi channel. (& possibly others)
I'm guessing this is because Pluto Canada will be Corus run while 
the Canadian Sci-Fi channel is indeed a Bell channel, with Bell holding onto the rights to what may be considered "best" content for such a channel.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 22, 2022 7:30 am  #3

I went for years without a VPN. Now I would never consider going on the Internet without one. They're not expensive in the long run and they make a huge difference when trying to access foreign sites. They also increase your security. If you've never considered one, you might want to look into them. 

As for Pluto Canada, this press release has wider details about what you can expect to see at the launch. 

September 22, 2022 11:04 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I went for years without a VPN. Now I would never consider going on the Internet without one. They're not expensive in the long run and they make a huge difference when trying to access foreign sites. They also increase your security. If you've never considered one, you might want to look into them. 

As for Pluto Canada, this press release has wider details about what you can expect to see at the launch. 

Totally agree RA. When I did my extensive research, the two names that always came out on top were Express and Nord. I went with Nord. They had a deal for first timers for roughly $57 U.S. for two years.

September 22, 2022 11:35 am  #5

I also use Nord, and find it not only easy to use and very reliable, but if you ever have questions, the response is quick, easy to understand and they seem like they truly want to help. Plus it works!

September 22, 2022 6:00 pm  #6

MST3K Marathon for everyone!

September 22, 2022 6:41 pm  #7

One of these days I should head to South Surrey (near the border) and connect to AT&T’s mobile network. I’ll pay a roaming fee but in theory I should be able to access the US Pluto.

September 22, 2022 7:03 pm  #8

If you can spring for a VPN (which you can set to the U.S.,) you can stay put and watch it at home. 

September 22, 2022 7:21 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

If you can spring for a VPN (which you can set to the U.S.,) you can stay put and watch it at home. 

& that's what some people don't seem to realize. Any fees requested are actually less than the cost of roaming fees to watch on a smart phone. 
Bigger screen also, lol.

September 22, 2022 9:18 pm  #10

I'm hoping my Corus (CJR.B-TO) stock turns around soon.

September 25, 2022 1:59 pm  #11

I hope Canada gets a chance to tune into the latest PlutoTV addition - more than 400 segments from more than 50 years of "60 Minutes," a new freebie that's been added to the site in the U.S. For now, the pieces available will only be from around 2008 to 2019, but they promise to add older ones as the years go by. 

The ones I would like to see are the infamous episodes where Mike Wallace shows up to confront some hustler or crook and traps him into a squirm-worthy cross-examination. Those were always my favourites and while they've essentially stopped doing them, they'd be worth watching again. Global currently owns the 60 Minutes rights in Canada, so it's my hope they'll be available on this side of the border when the site launches here in December

Those with a VPN set to the U.S. can find the newcomer already online.

Pluto TV Launches ‘60 Minutes’ Channel Featuring 400 Segments From News Show’s Decades-Long Run

September 25, 2022 5:30 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

I hope Canada gets a chance to tune into the latest PlutoTV addition - more than 400 segments from more than 50 years of "60 Minutes," a new freebie that's been added to the site in the U.S. For now, the pieces available will only be from around 2008 to 2019, but they promise to add older ones as the years go by. 

It'll be nice to see the late great Andy Rooney once again. I miss hearing his "last word" at the end of the program.
Here's a classic, which includes the line "I bet the bottle cost more than the water..." lol

October 31, 2022 5:39 pm  #13

While there are no guarantees about what shows being seen on the U.S. version of Pluto will be on the Canadian service (it's all a question of rights) the free streamer has announced a new slate of classic TV that will be coming to the platform down south before the end of the year. 

There are a ton of great programs, including a few versions of Star Trek, Frasier, Cheers and Criminal Minds. Also included: Taxi, The Twilight Zone, The Odd Couple, The Wild Wild West, and the Canadian produced Flashpoint. 

All 49 of the new series are listed here. Hopefully, many of them will be accessible in the Great White North, although a number of the shows mentioned are licenced for the moment to CHCH's Retro TV, so it remains to be seen just what we'll get. For now, you can preview Pluto TV if you have a VPN set for the U.S