sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 21, 2022 2:38 pm  #1

Would You Pay For A Nunavut TV Channel? You May Not Have A Choice

On Wednesday, a network known as Uvagut TV applied to the CRTC for mandatory must carry on cable and satellite across the country. The channel is the only one in Canada dedicated full time to the Inuit, and broadcasts primarily in Inuktitut.

The station, which is pretty much restricted for the moment to the far north and available as an add-on via Shaw, thinks it should be seen nationwide, adding it "broadcasts Inuit-made children’s shows, movies, documentaries, and informational, cultural, public access and current affairs programming."

The CRTC is infamous for granting requests like this to Indigenous and ethnic broadcasters, in keeping with its mandate to spread Canadian culture of all types. So if I had to speculate on whether they'll do this, my guess would be yes. 

If it comes to pass, the cost would be added to your bill. Not that it would amount to much - only 9 cents per month, so it would end up adding another $1.20 or so to your invoice for the next five years.

I suppose that doesn't make a huge difference in the end, but it's just another unnecessary add-on in a system that constantly makes consumers pay for channels they don't watch or don't want to pay for, to me one of the worst parts of the way cable is set up both here and in the U.S. 

Far better to make this available on a subscription basis, so that those who want it can get it - and those who don't never have to fork out for it at all. 

A hearing on the request will be held on January 10th of next year.

CRTC Announcement

September 21, 2022 5:23 pm  #2

Re: Would You Pay For A Nunavut TV Channel? You May Not Have A Choice

I would definitely pass on this channel. You know if Rogers/Bell wanted to give their consumers a break they could offer only OTA stations for maybe $20/month. They would still make money because the channels would be received free via antenna just like the RA's of the world do. But TFO, MUCH, Shopping Channel, W Network etc, would all disappear without the .15-.20 per subscriber they receive now, none of which I and probably most people never watch.

September 21, 2022 5:42 pm  #3

Rogers made me pay an extra $6/mo for the US network channels when I upgraded to Ignite last year.

I thought it was ridiculous at the time and still do since that was the original purpose of cable... to bring in a better picture on the American networks. So despite paying well over $100 for tons of channels I don't want I had to pay extra to get the ones I did.
Thanks Rogers

September 21, 2022 5:47 pm  #4

Personally, I will have Nunavut...

September 21, 2022 7:58 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Personally, I will have Nunavut...

Excellent pun, as usual RA.

September 22, 2022 1:19 am  #6

mace wrote:

I would definitely pass on this channel. You know if Rogers/Bell wanted to give their consumers a break they could offer only OTA stations for maybe $20/month. They would still make money because the channels would be received free via antenna just like the RA's of the world do. But TFO, MUCH, Shopping Channel, W Network etc, would all disappear without the .15-.20 per subscriber they receive now, none of which I and probably most people never watch.

They do but it's $25.  It's the CRTC mandated skinny basic.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (September 22, 2022 1:22 am)