sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 15, 2022 3:16 pm  #1

Some Observations

As a retired broadcaster primarily AM drive and as ND of a Toronto station during BC radio (before computers), I have been a member of the SOWNY group of posters for over 20 years.  My contributions have been few but I believe timely.  I have noticed recently there has been several occasions for some to disparage the poster with unwarranted comments.  They include the need to correct and, at times, insult those who post an item of broadcast interest that may have a typo; a minor grammatical error or rudely disagree with an opinion held. They seldom offer any effort to provide informative broadcast information but are quick to pounce on someone’s posting.  Could it be a coincidence that some of this dialogue is related to a few of the newer members of SOWNY and/or non-broadcasters?  Just asking.  Perhaps if the atmosphere was different, would those who only view, might also post? Again, just asking.

September 15, 2022 7:25 pm  #2

Re: Some Observations

Wasn't radio professional (and God Emperor to many vocal board contributors) Mike Stafford banned from SOWNY for unwarranted comments?

September 15, 2022 7:35 pm  #3

I don't recall Stafford ever being banned, at least not while I was in charge. And I doubt Iain would do that, either. I think he just stopped posting for whatever reason. And by sheer coincidence, I was just thinking about him the other day and wondering what, if anything, he's doing now. Anyone know?

September 15, 2022 9:32 pm  #4

I'm from a non- broadcasting background. Radio is not my profession but is my passion. If any of my comments are off topic or offensive, someone please let me know.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 15, 2022 9:48 pm  #5

turkeytop wrote:

I'm from a non- broadcasting background. Radio is not my profession but is my passion. If any of my comments are off topic or offensive, someone please let me know.

My sentiments exactly!!!!

Last edited by Media Observer (September 15, 2022 9:50 pm)

September 15, 2022 11:42 pm  #6

I got a lot of off board email about this post, and I'm not sure if Laffin meant to cause any hard feelings. But I will say that I value all the contributors to the board, regardless of whether they ever worked in radio or TV.

No one needs to be a broadcasting expert to express themselves here. In fact, without listeners or viewers, none of us would have had a career and their opinions are as valid as anyone's and I welcome all their thoughts. 

I've tried hard to create an atmosphere where everyone belongs, regardless of background. and for the most part, I think I've - no scratch that, we've - succeeded. I hope you'll all feel free to keep expressing your thoughts, even with an occasional blip. 

In fact, I really have only one main rule - it's OK to disagree. It's not OK to be disagreeable. So far, with only a few exceptions over the years, we've managed to keep to that edict. I hope we can continue to do that. Because no one's prefect - er, perfect!  Least of all me. (And I'm sure that's an opinion everyone here can agree with!)

September 16, 2022 6:14 am  #7

Like Turkeytop, I also do not come from a broadcast background. I am simply a radio geek.  This site has taught me so much about the behind the scenes of the broadcast industry, the comings and goings of on air talent and of course the ratings!

September 16, 2022 10:56 am  #8

I think what Laffin should understand is that on a forum like Sowny where anonymity is the rule of the day, that decorum is not always practiced by some posters. There are those who take delight in  expressing their opinion  in an aggressive manor,  others who post a thoughtful and respectful response, and those who just come here to be controversial, largely in their own mind. When I first joined Sowny, the guy who thought he was God's gift to the board got under my skin to the point I offered to kick his posterior for him. Then, upon reflection, I realized this is what he wanted, attention and to cause upset. He eventually buried himself and was permanently banned along with the reincarnations he tried to sneek by the moderator in the following months. My advice to Laffin, you need a thicker skin and take comments with a grain of salt. Don't leave the forum, just post your thoughts as you like. 

September 17, 2022 12:16 am  #9

I correct people because I'm noticing opinion and assumption posted as fact more and more frequently here.  The time of the Royal Funeral, directing people to a Yankees stream that didn't exsist, and the assumption that no NHL team has ever been without a radio broadcast, are three examples from just the last few hours.
These things are easily searchable if you don't know for sure.  If we're going to constantly rip on stations for fatual errors, typos and mispronounciations, should we not hold ourselves and our fellow posters to the same standard?

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (September 17, 2022 12:26 am)

September 17, 2022 3:20 pm  #10

It also depends on how you want to spend your energy and time, engaging in a positive way with people by exchanging info and your views or snarkily arguing with someone simply because they "got it wrong."

One is constructive, and useful, the other, not so much, but whatever floats your boat.

I appreciate learning about the correct start time of media coverage of Her Majesty's funeral.

Last edited by betaylored (September 17, 2022 3:20 pm)

September 17, 2022 4:19 pm  #11

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I correct people because I'm noticing opinion and assumption posted as fact more and more frequently here.  The time of the Royal Funeral, directing people to a Yankees stream that didn't exsist, and the assumption that no NHL team has ever been without a radio broadcast, are three examples from just the last few hours.
These things are easily searchable if you don't know for sure.  If we're going to constantly rip on stations for fatual errors, typos and mispronounciations, should we not hold ourselves and our fellow posters to the same standard?

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (Yesterday 11:26 pm)

"fatual errors"...? 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

September 17, 2022 5:56 pm  #12

Paul Jeffries wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (Yesterday 11:26 pm)

"fatual errors"...? 

PJ

spell check, what is it good for, absolutely nothing 🎶

Last edited by betaylored (September 17, 2022 5:58 pm)

September 18, 2022 11:23 pm  #13

Fatual error:  A very large error. 

September 28, 2022 11:36 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

I don't recall Stafford ever being banned, at least not while I was in charge. And I doubt Iain would do that, either. I think he just stopped posting for whatever reason. And by sheer coincidence, I was just thinking about him the other day and wondering what, if anything, he's doing now. Anyone know?

I'd like to know too.  Stafford is the reason I started listening to AM radio.
I hope he's doing well.

...just a fan.