sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2022 7:34 pm  #1

Emmy Awards Not A Big Draw On Monday

We don't know the ratings for CTV but on NBC the Monday Emmy Awards hit an all time low for viewers.  More details from the Ratings TV Guide...http://www.thetvratingsguide.com/2022/09/monday-tv-ratings-91222-emmys-slip-from.html

September 14, 2022 7:57 pm  #2

Re: Emmy Awards Not A Big Draw On Monday

It was up against the season premiere of MNF with its new announcing crew of Joe Buck and Troy Aikman.

September 14, 2022 8:28 pm  #3

paterson1 wrote:

We don't know the ratings for CTV but on NBC the Monday Emmy Awards hit an all time low for viewers.  More details from the Ratings TV Guide...http://www.thetvratingsguide.com/2022/09/monday-tv-ratings-91222-emmys-slip-from.html

Maybe somebody needs to get slapped. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

September 15, 2022 4:35 am  #4

The problem may have been the host. Not that he wasn't any good, but he DID have his TV show cancelled which may say something...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 15, 2022 8:43 am  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

The problem may have been the host. Not that he wasn't any good, but he DID have his TV show cancelled which may say something...

I think another problem is that there are so many platforms for TV now, that viewers can't reasonably have access to all of it.

I've always watched the Emmys and this year was no different, but I may give up on it next year.

I had never even heard of many of the nominated shows, or the performers. It really made me lose my interest.

September 15, 2022 9:11 am  #6

I started watching but gave up after the awful opening dance routine and because I didn't recognize any of the shows.

September 15, 2022 9:12 am  #7

A problem with the Emmy awards is what Tq345 alludes to above.  Maybe there is too much TV?  Not only do people not have access to all of these shows, they also don't have the time to watch them.  Most of the people watching the awards have likely never even heard of many of the nominees, let alone watch any episodes. 

Also, I am wondering if the awards will be moved off of traditional television.  The big four rarely win anything and haven't for years. In fact almost none of the shows from CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX or CW even get nominated.  This year however ABC's Abbott Elementary and NBC's SNL did pick up some hardware.  This was overshadowed by all of the winning from the big players like Hulu, Netflix, Disney, HBO etc.    

September 15, 2022 9:53 am  #8

It probably hasn't helped much either that a lot of these shows became overly-political in the past few years, too. Regardless of what side of the fence you're on, constant grandstanding starts to wear thin after a while. It's one thing for performers to occasionally let their views be known, but ultimately most people expect entertainers to be entertaining.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

September 16, 2022 8:55 am  #9

zed wrote:

I started watching but gave up after the awful opening dance routine and because I didn't recognize any of the shows.

I couldn't agree more. Fortunately I was watching on my PVR and I couldn't hit the fast forward button soon enough.

I mean didn't they learn anything from the disastrous Rob Lowe/Snow White number from the Oscars all those years ago?

September 16, 2022 10:02 am  #10

The Emmys were the only awards show I never missed in decades. Until this year. There were too many shows I've never seen and frankly, don't care to see. The major U.S. networks have been all but abandoned in favour of streaming services, many of which - Hulu and Peacock are two examples - aren't available in Canada. 

So for the first time possibly since I could turn on a TV by myself, I didn't watch the show. Sounds like I didn't miss anything. The professional showbiz critics, as usual, were not kind the next morning online and in their various newspapers.

And by the way, the greatest irony for me about the Emmys is that for an industry that has entertained so many millions of people for so long, they never seem able to put on an entertaining awards show. Given all the creative people who work in the industry, I've always been amazed at that continued failure. It's almost certainly not eligible, but if it were, it's almost certain the Emmys is the one show that would never win an Emmy. Think about that for a moment.