sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2022 5:23 pm  #1

A Note About An Upcoming PBS Documentary Time Change

I'm not sure if there are a lot of Ken Burns fans here, but the famous documentarian is tackling perhaps his grimmest subject yet - the U.S. response to the Holocaust during WWII. It's a three-parter that was scheduled to run on WNED here on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights. 

But now the network has changed the schedule for this important look back at a shameful point in American history. Part one still airs Sunday night as scheduled, but because of the Queen's funeral and special programming, the second and third parts have been delayed until Tuesday and Wednesday.

I had my DVR set for this and I'm not sure if the listings will update in time, so in case this is something you were planning to watch, you may need to adjust your timer manually.

PBS alters Holocaust documentary airings due to queen's funeral
https://clearthis.page/?u=https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/09/14/arts/pbs-alters-holocaust-documentary-airings-due-royal-funeral/

The U.S. & The Holocaust

September 14, 2022 8:19 pm  #2

Re: A Note About An Upcoming PBS Documentary Time Change

Thanks for this RA!  I have watched Ken Burns documentaries and will definitely watched this one.

September 18, 2022 10:50 am  #3

For those who may have other shows they want to DVR when this very long (6 hours+) documentary airs, there's another alternative. 

WNED is also airing parts 1 & 2 at midnight Wednesday morning, with part 3 airing the following day, also at midnight. 

With the new season debuting this week, that might make recording this without missing something you want a little bit easier.  

September 19, 2022 9:26 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

For those who may have other shows they want to DVR when this very long (6 hours+) documentary airs, there's another alternative. 

WNED is also airing parts 1 & 2 at midnight Wednesday morning, with part 3 airing the following day, also at midnight. 

With the new season debuting this week, that might make recording this without missing something you want a little bit easier.  

Thanks for this RA. I was at a friend's BBQ on Sunday and forgot to set my PVR for it.

September 19, 2022 4:50 pm  #5

For those who receive WTVS - PBS, Detroit, (Cogeco channel 715) the programme airs, as follows:

S1E1: The Golden Door (Beginnings - 1938) Monday, Sep. 19th at 9:30 p.m.
S1E2: Yearning to Breathe Free (1938 - 1942) Tuesday, Sep. 20th at 8:00 p.m.
S1E3: The Homeless, The Tempest-Tossed (1942 - ) Tuesday, Sep. 20th at 10:20 p.m.

They're also rebroadcasting these several times later this week.
1-1 The Golden Door (Beginnings - 1938) Reversing a history of open borders, a xenophobic backlash prompts Congress to restrict immigration. Hitler and the Nazis persecute German Jews, forcing many to seek refuge. FDR is concerned by the growing crisis but unable to coordinate a response.
1-2 Yearning to Breathe Free (1938 - 1942) As World War II begins, Americans are divided over whether to intervene against Nazi Germany. Some individuals and organizations work tirelessly to help refugees escape. Germany invades the USSR and secretly begins the mass murder of European Jews.
1-3 The Homeless, The Tempest-Tossed (1942 - ) A group of dedicated government officials fights red tape to support rescue operations. As the Allies liberate German camps, the public sees for the first time the sheer scale of the Holocaust and begins to reckon with its reverberations.

September 20, 2022 12:54 pm  #6

One could be forgiven for seeing bizarre echoes of the 1930s all around us.