sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 13, 2022 9:16 am  #1

Is Overnight Radio In Toronto Always Like This?

Normally, I don't get to hear much of what goes on over the radio between around midnight and 6 AM, but this morning my dog got spooked by something and decided to wake me up at 3:45 AM to make sure I was aware of it. When he refused to settle down, I was forced to take him for a walk at 4 in the morning, entering into an almost surreal atmosphere in my neighbourhood. And of course, I took my radio with me. 

I was surprised to hear CityNews 680 was both live and local overnight. I thought they took that usually terrible coast-to-coast feed that originates in Vancouver to save money. But not, at least, on this morning. I tuned over to CityNews 570 out of Kitchener and yep, they had the national feed. (In fact, they don't even do traffic or weather overnight there, running a long promo for one of their talk shows in those blank spaces instead.)

Is this what 680 does all the time, except on the weekends? Are they always live locally all night?

From there, it was over to CFRB. As advertised, they were rerolling their newly unveiled "Newstalk Tonight" show that began on Monday. But CKTB had the Showgram, which I presume from a previous thread, was a rerun. Is this a permanent thing or just while the latter is in repeat mode?

Just a few questions from a stranger in the night. And yes, the dog is fine. After we got home, we both went back to bed!

September 13, 2022 9:45 am  #2

Re: Is Overnight Radio In Toronto Always Like This?

Since you were outside at 4AM, WBZ and WGN should still be available; As far as I know, both still have live non syndicated programming overnights.

September 13, 2022 10:17 am  #3

I can get those stations inside, too, of course, but at 4 AM, all I wanted to do was let my pooch do his business and get back to bed!

September 13, 2022 4:03 pm  #4

Rogers seems to do the national feed now only on weekends.. with the local traffic and canned weather reports.  I'm up early.  I have noticed they have dropped the "First at Five" moniker 30 mins before the morning show starts.

Last edited by pinto (September 13, 2022 4:04 pm)

September 14, 2022 1:34 am  #5

I wonder if they've lost other listeners.  I used to listen mostly at night but left months ago.  The last straw for me was listening to the national feed and hearing that "happening now" police were on the scene of an accident at an intersection I had never heard of so it wasn't Toronto.  They never did say the name of the city.  It would be fine if it really was national news. That would be relevant. 680 is local news from a small assortment of cities I have no connection to. 

Since then I have discovered the BBC World Service show Newsday which airs during the overnight.  The also post the shows online so I can listen from the start rather than waiting for the top of the wheel..  
During the day I find myself streaming CP24's audio more often.  680 was a habit for about 20 years but I just didn't enjoy it anymore and the sloppy overnights were the main reason.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (September 14, 2022 1:45 am)

September 14, 2022 1:59 pm  #6

mace wrote:

Since you were outside at 4AM, WBZ and WGN should still be available; As far as I know, both still have live non syndicated programming overnights.

Also, WSM Nashville.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 14, 2022 3:03 pm  #7

I "discovered" John Batchelor's show on WOR recently.  Really enjoy streaming that in the late evening.