sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 11, 2022 6:04 pm  #1

An unusual request from your American friend

In addition to archiving broadcasting, I collect historic newspapers, too. Knowing that I'd be up in the GTA this weekend, I called ahead to a couple of stores to have them save Friday's papers with the news of the Queen's death.

It almost worked - except that the Sobeys in Mississauga didn't save the entire Friday Globe and Mail for me, just a few sections.

The Globe doesn't sell back issues directly, and most stores seem to get rid of the previous day's papers immediately these days.

Anyone know of anywhere in the GTA that might still have Friday's Globe around? Anyone still have it in their recycling bin?

Thanks for any suggestions from the brilliant denizens of the Big Yellow Board...

September 11, 2022 6:46 pm  #2

Re: An unusual request from your American friend

Ms. C. wrote:

Friday's edition had a special photo cover and 99% of reporting was in the front (news) section.     Very little in other sections.     

Saturday's Globe 'n Mail and Saturday's National Post had special covers, again, plus in-depth interviews w. politicians and public people.    The weekly column by Conrad Black, a man who seldom (if ever) generates positive commend from the brilliant denizens of the B.Y.B., was compassionate, interesting & entertaining to my husband, Geo, who left the B.Y.B. in disgrace earlier this year

I will be happy to fwd those issues to you if you send me a private message with snail mail address

Ms. C. 

Thanks so much! Sending you a PM now.

September 11, 2022 6:57 pm  #3

Is a good thing Q.E. died on a nice day because in winter the delivery gal often misses the driveway and hits a snow bank just before the plow covers it.    Will get it out in the a.m. but if you're familiar with Canada Post, you know that it will take at least a week to arrive in Rochester

September 11, 2022 7:11 pm  #4

Ms. C. wrote:

My husband, Geo, who left the B.Y.B. in disgrace earlier this year

"In disgrace?" Really? What happened? I'd love an explanation of why one of the longest members here decided to leave. I can't recall him being involved in anything that would fit that description.

September 12, 2022 7:08 am  #5

He is a sensitive person who had touted that CJR-B (Corus Entertainment) was a prudent investment. Corus shares have since collapsed and he is terrified that someone (else) bought into Corus and lost most of their money.   I told him to relax, because no one likely paid attention to him    

We are getting by on Kraft Dinner from Dollarama

September 12, 2022 8:54 am  #6

Ms. C. and Geo are one and the same. He's just having some fun.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 12, 2022 9:22 am  #7

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the case. The writing and wording of the posts is exactly the same as Geo's. I just wonder what prompted him to try and pull this off. Still, you're welcome here anytime "Mrs. C." (And how have you been keeping since your time on Happy Days?)

September 12, 2022 9:27 am  #8

Looks the gig is up Geo. 

September 12, 2022 9:30 am  #9

Dale Patterson wrote:

Ms. C. and Geo are one and the same. He's just having some fun.

"You can have all the fun you want.   This place is for fun," as Al Nalbendian (Hank Anderson) said to Richard Dreyfuss (Curt) in American Graffiti

September 12, 2022 10:37 am  #10

Whenever I see a post by Ms. C, I think of Happy Days (Mrs Cunningham)

September 12, 2022 11:00 am  #11

Of all the ways this thread could have turned after I started it, this is certainly an unexpected one! (And thanks again to Ms. C or Geo, either way!)

September 12, 2022 11:46 am  #12

Talk about timely, today’s Toronto Star’s Winners/Losers department sees, oh, my gosh, Corus
Entertainment topping the Losers, having lost 34% of its stock value in the last year.
That Geo, what a kidder!

September 12, 2022 7:33 pm  #13

fybush wrote:

In addition to archiving broadcasting, I collect historic newspapers, too. Knowing that I'd be up in the GTA this weekend, I called ahead to a couple of stores to have them save Friday's papers with the news of the Queen's death.

It almost worked - except that the Sobeys in Mississauga didn't save the entire Friday Globe and Mail for me, just a few sections.

The Globe doesn't sell back issues directly, and most stores seem to get rid of the previous day's papers immediately these days.

Anyone know of anywhere in the GTA that might still have Friday's Globe around? Anyone still have it in their recycling bin?

Thanks for any suggestions from the brilliant denizens of the Big Yellow Board...

Interesting you mentioned Sobey's since I was in one of our local locations in Kitchener to do some shopping on early Friday evening.  I noticed that all of the newspapers were sold out except for one copy of the Toronto Sun. That is rare, usually there would still be a couple of copies of the Star, Globe, Post, Record, or Sun.  So maybe a few people had the same idea fybush!  Our local daily The Waterloo Region Record had a special section on the life of the Queen in Saturday's paper.  It was nicely done.