sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 11, 2022 10:18 am  #1

TV Networks Become Farm Teams For Streaming Shows

The Wall St. Journal posits a suggestion I've long feared - over-the-air free TV networks debuting new shows, only to have the ones that hit transferred over to each company's streaming services, forcing you to pay to see something that was formerly free. 

Even so, they're spending less and less time on creative ideas, so I'm not sure where these "hits" are going to come from. But would you fork over the bucks to see them?

"The parent companies of ABC, NBC and CBS now see the networks as a first stop for their content before it moves to their sister streaming services. They argue that is the role they should be judged on for now.

“That is an infinite loop we believe in,” said Mark Lazarus, chairman of Comcast Corp.’s NBCUniversal Television and Streaming, which operates NBC and the Peacock platform. “We are able to move our audiences through our services.”

Expect the same thing to happen in Canada, only it may take a lot longer. If that's true, where will Canadian stations get their future programming from? 

TV Networks Have a New Role: Farm Teams for Streaming Shows

(Note: for the moment, this article does not seem to be behind a paywall. I can't guarantee it will stay that way, but the usual tools to bypass it do not work with the Wall St. Journal, so there is no alternate link available.)

September 11, 2022 11:53 am  #2

Re: TV Networks Become Farm Teams For Streaming Shows

I expect Canadian networks will simulcast US networks for the sim sub and move the shows online just like the US or the shows will simply vanish.  They don’t care about the convenience of the viewers; they only care about the sim sub. Anyone who tries to watch shows on CTV 2 will know that. Shows show up and disappear sometimes after one episode.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (September 11, 2022 11:57 am)

September 11, 2022 1:08 pm  #3

We should remember as well that the US OTA networks may cut back their broadcast day.  They have already cut down on afternoon programming and some affiliates don't always pick up what they are offering.    Even prime time, NBC is considering only two hours of regular programming per evening.  FOX and CW already do this.  If NBC cut out the 10-11pm hour it wouldn't be surprising if CBS and ABC eventually followed. 

Also watch for more and more sports on the OTA networks.  NFL is obviously a big draw but the networks are also programming more secondary sports like soccer, rugby, field lacrosse etc.  It could also be that as time goes by more NFL games will be on the streaming services and not as much OTA. 

September 11, 2022 3:03 pm  #4

I'm not fooling myself - streaming is the future and the OTA networks are in serious danger. How long before there are no more viewers for the networks, which are already losing numbers? People are now used to watching what they want when they want it, with no schedule - and in many cases, no commercials.

The future is here and while I may not entirely like the thought of losing a near 70-year-old system that has served me very well, I will have to get used to it. Still, sometimes I look at the shows on Netflix or Disney+ and find there's only a few that really interest me. Is that really worth paying for?

At least OTA doesn't cost me anything to find out the show is terrible and I can DVR programs if I want to avoid the spots. Plus, should my Internet ever go down, I at least can watch something on TV. That can't happen with streaming. 

September 11, 2022 3:15 pm  #5

Shows That Have Already Left Networks For Streaming

Designated Survivor - From ABC To Netflix
Manifest - From NBC To Netflix
Lucifer - From Fox to Netflix
Arrested Development - From Fox Cancellation To Netflix Revival
Gilmore Girls - From CW To Netflix Special
The Mindy Project - From Fox To Hulu
The Orville - From Fox To Hulu
The Good Fight (Good Wife Sequel) - From CBS to Paramount+
Evil - From CBS To Paramount+
Seal Team - From CBS to Paramount+
Days of Our Lives - From NBC Daytime To Peacock
Veronica Mars - From CW to Hulu

And that's just a partial list. I'm sure there are more I just haven't thought of - and more are almost certainly coming. 

September 11, 2022 3:25 pm  #6

Some of these shows may have been cancelled and then picked up by a streaming service, "Manifest" for instance.

I believe that NBC cancelled it, Netflix licensed the three season run, took notice of how popular it was on their service and ordered a 20 episode fourth and final season (I don't know how these things work, but would they have to pay NBC for the right to actually make new content involving that "universe"?)

September 12, 2022 4:52 am  #7

While not quite the same, the Oprah Winfrey Network picked up the cancelled CBS series All Rise for a 20 episode third season. However, the Canadian version of OWN for some reason chose not to carry the series. As a result, it is only available via the ustvgo.tv site.

September 16, 2022 11:10 am  #8

Buffalo News critic Alan Pergament perfectly sums up what's going on with network TV these days in a column that predicts the days of the affiliates are coming to an end - the question isn't if, but when that will happen. Worth a read.

And he's right - as the new fall season debuts next week - an event I used to really look forward to - it appears there's nothing new or interesting to watch on so-called free TV.

Network TV's fall season has slim pickings as future is increasingly questioned

September 16, 2022 12:02 pm  #9

Interesting how the American source moves a show to streaming, but does NOT order the Canadian side to do the same. 
I can name many examples, including Twilight zone, which aired on CitY TV here while becoming only a streaming program in the States.

Most recently, how Days is available on W network here in Canada, but streaming only in the States.

Basically, Canada is free to do with TV as it wants without being told by a parent source what can and can not air on television. 
It's great for people paying for cable/ignite/fibe (etc) 
but then,
how is the streaming source here supposed to make any money???

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 16, 2022 12:50 pm  #10

The bottom line (which for the corporations that own the networks here is all that matters) is that when you sell the rights to a show in a foreign country, the buyer can pretty much do whatever it wants with it. The only real exception to this rule that I can think of is CBS' 60 Minutes, which is generally not allowed to be pre-released on Global before CBS airs it in the U.S. 

That's why on Sunday nights, you often see Global either extending its newscasts well into the 7 PM hour or showing some throwaway like "Border Security" in its place until the U.S. network is ready. Unfortunately, that sometimes means a show or even a news story is interrupted mid-sentence so Global can go to the CBS simulcast.

It's completely unprofessional to cut off a show or a news item in mid-sentence or partway through an episode, but now that the NFL is back, it's likely to happen nearly every Sunday. And it makes Global look terrible and amateurish. But they have no real choice, which I suspect is one reason CHCH is glad they lost the rights to 60 Minutes in this country. Now it's somebody else's problem.

(And by the way, there seems to be a glaring exception to that rule down south. Even if "60" is delayed by football or some other sporting event, CBS-affiliated radio stations like WCBS-AM New York or WBBM-AM Chicago are allowed to start the audio broadcast of the show exactly at 7, regardless of what's on TV at the time. When the sun goes down early, I sometimes listen to the long running news show that way, without having to wait for anyone on the TV side to play catch-up.) 

September 16, 2022 12:58 pm  #11

Last nights NFL game between LA and KC was the first NFL match produced and streamed on Amazon Prime.  Is CTV2 running these streamed Thursday games every week?  Both CTV2 and TSN had the game last night. 

In the US the only OTA Prime games on Thursday available are in the home cities of the two teams playing.  Otherwise  you will need to subscribe to Amazon Prime, or maybe catch the game at a bar. So how did CTV2/TSN get to show this game or was this part of the big deal Bell made with the NFL?  I don't really follow the NFL so excuse me if I am late to the program on this. 

September 16, 2022 4:14 pm  #12

paterson1 wrote:

Last nights NFL game between LA and KC was the first NFL match produced and streamed on Amazon Prime.  Is CTV2 running these streamed Thursday games every week?  Both CTV2 and TSN had the game last night. 

In the US the only OTA Prime games on Thursday available are in the home cities of the two teams playing.  Otherwise  you will need to subscribe to Amazon Prime, or maybe catch the game at a bar. So how did CTV2/TSN get to show this game or was this part of the big deal Bell made with the NFL?  I don't really follow the NFL so excuse me if I am late to the program on this. 

Apparently, Bell renegotiated their deal with the NFL to include Thursday games in their package, so they will air here on TSN and/or CTV2. In the U.S. it is Amazon only with two exceptions. 1. The home and visiting team markets can show the game on regular broadcast television. In the case of the Bills, that will be WKBW. 2. Bars and restaurants that subscribe to Sunday Ticket via DirectTV will get the Thursday games. The Ticket isn't cheap for bars. Capacity of 101-200 will be $6000. 201-350 is $8500. An establishment the size of Real Sports Bar would be shelling out $19000.

September 16, 2022 7:01 pm  #13

September 16, 2022 8:54 pm  #14

This is interesting if the Canadian OTA networks or cable networks continue to cherry pick shows and material from the streamers.  Not only is it better for consumers but it also gives the networks material that isn't available on the big four US networks.  This is one reason why I say that you will be seeing less and less simsub with the US OTA networks in the future, and it actually has already started. 

Last edited by paterson1 (September 16, 2022 9:12 pm)

September 16, 2022 9:58 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

The bottom line (which for the corporations that own the networks here is all that matters) is that when you sell the rights to a show in a foreign country, the buyer can pretty much do whatever it wants with it. The only real exception to this rule that I can think of is CBS' 60 Minutes, which is generally not allowed to be pre-released on Global before CBS airs it in the U.S. 

I think Dick Wolf's Chicago franchise might fall under the same category. You might recall that on January 6, 2021 Citytv aired about three-quarters of a new Chicago Med episode that was originally scheduled to be shown on NBC that same night, but was postponed due to that night's coverage of the storming attack of the Capitol Building. After airing most of the episode, Citytv aired approximately 15 minutes of a repeat Chicago Med episode, much to the bewilderment and discontent of viewers.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

September 19, 2022 6:23 am  #16

Radiowiz wrote:

Interesting how the American source moves a show to streaming, but does NOT order the Canadian side to do the same. 
I can name many examples, including Twilight zone, which aired on CitY TV here while becoming only a streaming program in the States.

Most recently, how Days is available on W network here in Canada, but streaming only in the States.

Basically, Canada is free to do with TV as it wants without being told by a parent source what can and can not air on television. 
but then,

It will stay this way until the programming originators deem it more profitable to expand their streaming services here than it is to sell the rights to Bell and co. But at this point we're not there yet.

Since the major Canadian broadcasters are all owned by companies or families that have a significant incentive to keep cable television a viable business, they'll continue to hoard content for their own platforms as long as they can.

September 20, 2022 12:55 am  #17

Radiowiz wrote:

but then,

The American source is often the company that distributes the show, not the network that airs it in the US.  CBS owns and produces 60 Minutes but Days of Our Lives, which runs on NBC's Peacock service is distributed by Sony Pictures Television.  When Global buys the Canadian rights, it can do what it wants, provided that it doesn't violate the deal it has with Sony.

It's the same as Bell's deal for NFL Football.  Amazon has exclusivity for Thursday night games in the US, but not in Canada.