sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2022 8:47 pm  #1

Conservative Leadership Convention Coverage

All of the news networks covered the win for Pierre Poilievre tonight in the Conservative Leadership Convention.  Didn't think any of the OTA networks would broadcast this, however CBC did.  CTV, CBC and CP24 news channels had their panelists and pundits on board with analysis. If you are a political junkie, interesting night.  

September 10, 2022 9:42 pm  #2

Re: Conservative Leadership Convention Coverage

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1568760439282057216?t=r9jPdIIlTL0S8sQEVbOFKg&s=19

Last Friday one of the roundtable pundits (honestly can't remember which one) on Moore In The Morning said that a win for P.P. is a win for J.T. and the Liberals.

Guess we'll see if this opinion holds true tomorrow morning as the experts "unpack" to use their trite, annoying word, this ick-tory.

September 10, 2022 9:47 pm  #3

CTV's Question Period with Evan Solomon is back Sundays at 11 AM. I would think this will be a hot topic on there.

But it's going to be a real scramble for the host and the crew. A lot of this stuff is pre-produced on Friday and Saturday. They'll have to scramble to get this ready for air, since they couldn't really do anything until the results were official. Could be a long weekend of work for those involved with the show. 

September 11, 2022 10:00 am  #4

I am sure they planned for this.  Evan will use material from last night since he was there.  Probably will do some of the program live this morning.  Interesting last night for the national newscasts on CTV and CBC.  CTV lead with the Queen, CBC lead with the new leader of the Conservative party.  Also noted that the pundits on CBC agreed that Poilievre's speech was very good and not terribly partisan.  Chantal Hebert even commented that it was one of the best acceptance speeches she had heard.   

September 11, 2022 4:18 pm  #5

As it turns out, it didn't matter. CTV aired a one-hour special on the Queen in the Question Period timeslot at 11 AM Sunday, so while QP was in the listings, perhaps they didn't even do a show in any event. 

On the Conservative leadership race, it doesn't really matter whether you love this guy or despise him. I would hope some of the commentators talking about this can at least finally get his name right. I continually hear "Paul-Over" instead of "Paul-ee-ev-raw," which is the correct way to say it. It really hurts the credibility of the so-called experts when they can't say his name correctly!

September 11, 2022 5:20 pm  #6

If you are saying his name in English the proper pronunciation is poil-ee-ev and if you are speaking French it is pronounced poil-ee-evre. In both cases slurred together.  Some English commentators make it sound more like "paul" rather than "poil" which is likely what we will hear the most and probably alright to say that way.  Can't say I have ever heard any news reporter say paul-over but I am sure it has happened. 

September 11, 2022 5:46 pm  #7

If I recall correctly, there was a pundit on one of CFRB's Roundtables that kept referring to him as Paul-Over. No one corrected him. I've heard a few others do this, too. 

September 11, 2022 7:31 pm  #8

When Poilievre first became an MP, he was an annoying little snot-nosed nerd who pronounced his name "Poliver" (rhymes with Oliver).  I was working in Ottawa at the time.  Somewhere along the way, he switched to the more French pronunciation.