sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2022 7:54 am  #1

Lisa LaFlamme To Anchor CityNews Coverage Of Queen's Passing

In a major coup, CityNews has jumped in to hire fired CTV anchor Lisa LaFlamme to helm its coverage of the Queen's passing. She will be reporting live from London for City stations across the country. 

"Acting as a special correspondent to CityNews, renowned Canadian journalist Lisa LaFlamme will be in London leading the CityNews coverage. She will provide daily reporting for all newscasts on television and radio as well as make regular appearances on Breakfast Television.

It's kind of an in-your-face move aimed at CTV, and it will be fascinating to see if it causes a viewership spike for City TV. It's also slightly ironic, considering City TV newscasts no longer have an actual anchor. 

Lisa LaFlamme to join CityNews as lead correspondent following Queen's death

September 9, 2022 8:22 am  #2

Re: Lisa LaFlamme To Anchor CityNews Coverage Of Queen's Passing

See? Rogers really IS the best! You can thank them RA by ordering Rogers Ignite TV in your home. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 9, 2022 8:30 am  #3

So is she with CityNews permanently? Or is she just on contract for this event?

September 9, 2022 8:33 am  #4

ED1 wrote:

That wasn't spelled out in the announcement, but I wonder if Rogers would be willing to shell out the bucks it would take to keep Lisa happy on a permanent basis. And what would she do there full-time?

But hey, at least they've established the relationship, while sticking the middle finger to their competition. I have no love for Rogers (in fact, my emotions tend to skew in the exact opposite direction) but I admit this is a savvy move on their part.

September 9, 2022 9:19 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

ED1 wrote:

That wasn't spelled out in the announcement, but I wonder if Rogers would be willing to shell out the bucks it would take to keep Lisa happy on a permanent basis. And what would she do there full-time?

But hey, at least they've established the relationship, while sticking the middle finger to their competition. I have no love for Rogers (in fact, my emotions tend to skew in the exact opposite direction) but I admit this is a savvy move on their part.

Too bad this next election is municipal, not Federal. Lisa would have gone to great use covering a Federal election.

September 9, 2022 9:31 am  #6

I guess this means Bell couldn't get a non-compete agreement as part of their separation deal. 

September 9, 2022 9:45 am  #7

Could there be a "CityNews National" in the works? This is interesting indeed.

September 9, 2022 10:00 am  #8

Good for Lisa and City.  Hope this leads to something more permanent.  Watching CTV News coverage of the Queen's passing yesterday afternoon really missed Lisa Laflamme anchoring.  Omar was fine and competent but Laflamme with her experience would have been more authoritativeand  likely with more background stories and general information since she had covered the royals many times over the years. 

CTV News could be in for some difficult days ahead.  CBC News Network coverage this morning was excellent. 

September 9, 2022 10:55 am  #9

chrishch wrote:

They’ve already done a “CityNews International” with Gord Martineau. Is there room for a 4th national newscast in this country?

September 9, 2022 12:04 pm  #10

ED1 wrote:

chrishch wrote:

They’ve already done a “CityNews International” with Gord Martineau. Is there room for a 4th national newscast in this country?

Don't forget that also, Rogers IS NOT allowed to take money from Corus's news content, should they go ahead and swallow up Shaw. 
CRTC has made it very clear that they must leave Global news alone. 

Therefore, there will not be a shut down of Global National and a launch of City National.
IF
(and I clearly say IF)
City National were to launch, it would have to do so on it's own legs to stand on without taking anything from Global's funding formula.

Which does bring us back to the question already asked...is there room for a fourth? I doubt it. 
It's amazing 3 can survive as is. 
(Corus financial troubles and all)

September 9, 2022 12:13 pm  #11

Don't forget CityNews is also the branding for Rogers' news radio stations so she'll likely be doing radio hits too.

Last edited by Hansa (September 9, 2022 12:33 pm)

September 9, 2022 1:12 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

I have no love for Rogers (in fact, my emotions tend to skew in the exact opposite direction) but I admit this is a savvy move on their part.

Indeed. And perhaps a brilliant move to alleviate some anger and frustration towards Rogers re: that July 8th outage - they'd be shown as valuing and respecting LaFlamme and her reputation. Quite interesting strategy. They could use all the good will they could get (i.e. "Rogers is spending $20 billion on upgrades but people are still furious").

September 9, 2022 1:20 pm  #13

Hansa wrote:

Don't forget CityNews is also the branding for Rogers' news radio stations so she'll likely be doing radio hits too.

According to the Rogers press release, she will turn up on the radio, as well the tube. 

"She will provide daily reporting for all newscasts on television and radio as well as make regular appearances on Breakfast Television."

So expect to hear her on 680 and the company's other all news outlets across the country.

Meanwhile, CTV Toronto has announced that usual 6 PM news co-anchor Michelle Dube is in London to provide them with coverage of the ceremonies. Not sure if she's working strictly for Toronto or the network, but comparing the two is no contest - LaFlamme has far more experience and knowledge in this area as a former foreign correspondent, and she'll likely leave Dube in the dust.

September 9, 2022 1:52 pm  #14

As a PR exercise, this is already paying off. The story has popped up in People Magazine, of all places. Not a lot of new info in their story, but the fact that such a major brand is publicizing CityNews can be considered a coup.

Fired Canadian TV Anchor Lisa LaFlamme Books Her Next Job — and the Royals Will Be Involved!

That's not the only place this is getting publicity. Among those doing a story on it are two competitors - CBC and ET Canada, which is, of course, controlled by Global. Frankly, I didn't think either would touch it since it gives publicity to a rival. 

The one place I haven't seen it - on any Bell Media site. Quelle surprise!

September 9, 2022 3:01 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

Meanwhile, CTV Toronto has announced that usual 6 PM news co-anchor Michelle Dube is in London to provide them with coverage of the ceremonies. Not sure if she's working strictly for Toronto or the network, but comparing the two is no contest - LaFlamme has far more experience and knowledge in this area as a former foreign correspondent, and she'll likely leave Dube in the dust.

Michelle Dube has the extremely annoying habit of punctuating her delivery with incessant head-bobbing and eyebrow arching.  If she thinks it makes her more authoritative she's dead wrong.

September 9, 2022 5:06 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

In a major coup, CityNews has jumped in to hire fired CTV anchor Lisa LaFlamme to helm its coverage of the Queen's passing. She will be reporting live from London for City stations across the country. 

"Acting as a special correspondent to CityNews, renowned Canadian journalist Lisa LaFlamme will be in London leading the CityNews coverage. She will provide daily reporting for all newscasts on television and radio as well as make regular appearances on Breakfast Television.

It's kind of an in-your-face move aimed at CTV, and it will be fascinating to see if it causes a viewership spike for City TV. It's also slightly ironic, considering City TV newscasts no longer have an actual anchor. 

Lisa LaFlamme to join CityNews as lead correspondent following Queen's death

September 9, 2022 5:08 pm  #17

Opportunism, pure and simple but that's not a criticism. Likely everyone else here expected someone would jump at the chance to capitalize on the mileage this has racked up. Good on them. 

September 9, 2022 5:22 pm  #18

https://twitter.com/LisaLaFlamme_/status/1568330598288355329?t=HEH8ltg3jkCc5Joh4I5m6A&s=19

Here's a short clip of Ms. LaFlamme. Wonderful to see her on our televisions again, and hear her measured, heartfelt words on the passing of HM.

And how good to hear the word "Buckingham" pronounced correctly so the last syllable does not rhyme with Spam.

September 9, 2022 5:42 pm  #19

betaylored wrote:

https://twitter.com/LisaLaFlamme_/status/1568330598288355329?t=HEH8ltg3jkCc5Joh4I5m6A&s=19

Here's a short clip of Ms. LaFlamme. Wonderful to see her on our televisions again, and hear her measured, heartfelt words on the passing of HM.

And how good to hear the word "Buckingham" pronounced correctly so the last syllable does not rhyme with Spam.

She mispronounced "The Mall" though - it actually rhymes with pal, not hall. 

September 9, 2022 8:49 pm  #20

https://twitter.com/brittlestar/status/1568292523952447490?t=UMwhSAgk_Yrp4oeaMpph5A&s=19

explaining Canadian news to Americans, this video is a hoot. and accurate.

September 10, 2022 3:00 pm  #21

She's been on 680 News today.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 10, 2022 3:38 pm  #22

turkeytop wrote:

Live? Or over and over again on a recorded loop?
The 11 PM newscast Friday was a repeat of the 5PM for Lisa. 

September 10, 2022 4:07 pm  #23

I don't know the answer. I just had the radio on for a short time this morning while I was making my coffee.
I heard her again a while later but I wasn't paying close attention.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 10, 2022 8:29 pm  #24

Radiowiz wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

Live? Or over and over again on a recorded loop?
The 11 PM newscast Friday was a repeat of the 5PM for Lisa. 

I would think most of her radio reports are taken from the TV side. They repurpose a lot of their CityNews television reports for radio. I can't see LaFlamme, six hours ahead as she is in England, bothering to file anything extra for radio, unless something breaking happens.

September 11, 2022 11:43 am  #25

The CBC has settled on Adriane Arsenault after the wheel of anchors didn’t work out. She has similar credentials so there’s no room for LeFlamme there. 
Global can’t make a big hire like that with a sale pending.
Why Rogers? Because there’s no one else.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (September 11, 2022 11:46 am)

September 14, 2022 3:38 pm  #26

Rogers seems determined to get its money's worth (however much that was) out of Lisa LaFlamme. The former CTV anchor will front a 6-hour special on the funeral over the City TV stations on Monday, beginning at 5 AM. What happens to her after the story is over is still unknown. 

CityNews Brings Canadians an Extensive Live News Special of the Queen’s State Funeral, Sept. 19

September 16, 2022 4:35 pm  #27

Tomas Barlow wrote:

The CBC has settled on Adriane Arsenault after the wheel of anchors didn’t work out. She has similar credentials so there’s no room for LeFlamme there. 

If Lisa weren’t available, I wonder who Rogers would’ve tapped to lead the coverage as I can’t possibly think of anyone in their current roster that’s suitable for this type of event. Possibly Tracy Moore?

September 16, 2022 4:43 pm  #28

I can't think of anyone who would have been able to do this for City, especially since they made such a big deal of having "anchorless" news. Which means they don't have anyone with the gravitas to front it.

So they were fortunate that LaFlamme was willing to do it and available - much to Bell's dismay, I'm sure. If they were smart, they would hire David Onley for commentary. He's not only a City TV/CP24 alumnus, he was also the Lt. Governor of Ontario, so he's met the Queen on many occasions. 

I'm sure he has a ton of stories that could be used to fill in the blanks in the six hour(!) show they're planning for Monday. 

September 17, 2022 12:06 pm  #29

Here2day wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

If Lisa weren’t available, I wonder who Rogers would’ve tapped to lead the coverage as I can’t possibly think of anyone in their current roster that’s suitable for this type of event. Possibly Tracy Moore?

I'm thinking that Citytv wouldn't have bothered to show the funeral (or extensively cover the Queen's death in general) if they never snagged Lisa Laflamme. You probably would have just seen a regular edition of BT in Toronto, and repeats of Cityline on the rest of the network. 

Last edited by ED1 (September 17, 2022 12:07 pm)

September 19, 2022 9:09 am  #30

Been watching City’s coverage all morning and I must say, Lisa is doing a fine job. The technicals are a bit lacking, but it does the job. I like how Lisa has a truly national mindset to broadcasting, specifically when she was explaining the road system in London and one of the commentators kept comparing them to Ontario roads where Lisa quickly jumped in and asked “if we can get out of Ontario for a moment”.