sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2022 8:32 am  #1

What Happens On The Media Now That The Queen Has Died?

The news out of England that the Queen is undergoing "medical care" is alarming to some, if only because it's so unusual for the monarchy to say anything about her health. That's led many to speculate whether the 96-year-old ruler is close to the possible end of her reign. 

So what happens on the media if she passes away? This article explains what the BBC will do and how arrangements have already been on standby for decades should that tragic event come to pass. 

Here's what will happen when Queen Elizabeth II dies

But what will the CBC and other outlets do? I'm assuming the Corp. would go wall-to-wall with it on both radio and TV, interrupting programming for coverage. As for CTV, Global and the rest? My guess is some bulletins, maybe a brief special and then back to regular programming. Those with all news channels will be on it for days. 

It won't take long for any reports to be edited and rushed to air. Most stations have what's unfortunately called a "morgue," where pre-taped obits are already made up for national and world figures like the Pope, the Queen and other prominent people, so they'll be ready to go at a moment's notice if something happens. 

Back in 2017, the National Post published a story about the chain reaction of events that begin the moment the Queen is gone. It's an interesting read and it may be needed sooner than later. 

What happens to Canada should Queen Elizabeth II die: The behind-the-scenes plans

September 8, 2022 8:56 am  #2

Re: What Happens On The Media Now That The Queen Has Died?

From that National Post article about what to expect on the CBC: 

"It would be what they call a “Broadcast of National Importance”; regular programming is cancelled, all advertisements are halted and all TV channels and radio stations shift into 24-hour news mode. And, naturally, the network has almost certainly prepared a reel of tasteful Queen content to get them through the first shaky hours after the announcement."

I'm wondering if both CBC and CTV will just take the feeds from their all-news channels, while bringing in their main anchors. Duplication of resources wouldn't make a lot of sense. How ironic that Lisa LaFlamme won't be part of that coverage. 

September 8, 2022 9:17 am  #3

I suspect most media outlets print and broadcast  have stuff in the can ready to go once the Queen passes.

September 8, 2022 9:20 am  #4

Absolutely. At most, they will have to add what's called a "new top," that fills in the when, the where and the why. The rest will be based on events that happened in the past, recapping the person's life. And it wouldn't surprise me if writers at all those papers are updating those articles right now. Most of it is already written.  

The new stuff will be reaction and scene setters, which they can't do in advance. 

September 8, 2022 9:34 am  #5

CFRB: "We have all of our PR Professionals on standby for analysis and colour commentary..."

September 8, 2022 9:56 am  #6

Chrisphen wrote:

CFRB: "We have all of our PR Professionals on standby for analysis and colour commentary..."

" 'cause we have no newsroom left to speak of "

September 8, 2022 10:05 am  #7

If we're talking Bell, the answer is simple. What's the cheapest way to do it? lol 

Last edited by Radiowiz (September 8, 2022 12:09 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 8, 2022 10:09 am  #8

Just read on social media that BBC News presenters have been instructed to change into black clothing and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are joining the rest of the family in Scotland.

September 8, 2022 10:26 am  #9

Never a good sign when the family is all travelling to be with the Queen.  BBC World News is already wall to wall coverage.  Breaking News and the lead on all of the other news networks that I receive.  Twenty three minutes past 10am and CBC into another story but CNN still with the Queen.  CTV News and CP24 are now alternating with other stories, but have the shot of Balmoral castle on the screen all the time.  

September 8, 2022 11:17 am  #10

It will keep the entertainment tabloid shows like ET going for the next 6 weeks.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 8, 2022 11:54 am  #11

In Britain there is a custom (perhaps even a rule) that on-air staff wear black for royal death announcements. If you're watching the BBC or ITV right now all the news readers and reporters are dressed in black tie and jacket (for men) and black outfits for women - a sign they expect that there will be a death announcement soon. 

Last edited by Hansa (September 8, 2022 11:57 am)

September 8, 2022 12:01 pm  #12

Interestingly, I see that Suhanna Meharchand is also dressed in all-black.

Last edited by Hansa (September 8, 2022 12:02 pm)

September 8, 2022 12:35 pm  #13

Hansa wrote:

Interestingly, I see that Suhanna Meharchand is also dressed in all-black.

and Suhanna has been punted (thankfully)  to "gate watch"

Last edited by Glen Warren (September 8, 2022 12:38 pm)

September 8, 2022 1:36 pm  #14

The coverage of this could conceivably go on for days, now that the longest serving monarch in history has passed. 

CTV immediately interrupted The Social for coverage but as of this posting, CBC and Global are still in regular programming. Ironically, Global is showing "The Days Of Our Lives." Perhaps even more ironic, NBC interrupted its showing of the same soap for coverage of the death. ABC was already in its GMA3 hour, so it was easy for that network to cover the story. CBS also broke into programming for a special report. 

CFRB went to a pre-arranged audio obit, voiced by John Moore. Kelly Cutrara took reaction calls from the public on AM 640. CBC Radio 1 has wall-to-wall coverage. 

Update: I was very surprised by how long it took them, but CBC TV has finally taken up coverage of the story. Even CBC French is doing a special report, although the Queen was hardly a popular figure in Quebec. Still nothing on Global.

Second update: It took them almost half an hour, but Global is now covering this story, as well, with all the major Canadian and American networks going live. Nothing on City TV, but frankly, I didn't expect them to cover it live. (Although there is something rather appropriate for the program that's currently running: Family Feud.)

Last edited by RadioActive (September 8, 2022 1:55 pm)

September 8, 2022 3:58 pm  #15

On CFRB Evan Solomon carried it with his characteristically over-the-top hyperbole, and still managed to fudge up some of the facts - stating that she was queen at 21 (she was actually 26 when she became queen).

September 8, 2022 4:03 pm  #16

https://twitter.com/KITHOnline/status/1567933868660899847?t=0G9UKnM2fnf90qNz7Tk3uQ&s=19

funny/sad seeing Scott as HM

looking forward to hearing over the next few days about the cost of the changeover to the money with the new king on it

September 8, 2022 4:08 pm  #17

Does this mean they can't play this anymore?

September 8, 2022 4:11 pm  #18

It turns out there's a local radio component to this story. Looks like she outlived them all.

From June 1959:

September 8, 2022 4:43 pm  #19

June 1953:

September 8, 2022 4:46 pm  #20

My internet went down for a while just after 1:30 this afternoon, around the time that the Queen's death was coming across the internet.  Just looked on CBC.ca and almost 14 thousand people are reading the stories regarding the passing right now. 

September 8, 2022 5:48 pm  #21

RadioActive wrote:

June 1953:

When Elizabeth II ascended to the throne, we didn’t even have television in Western Canada yet - except KVOS in Bellingham, Washington, which went on the air for the first time June 3, 1953, the day after her coronation and was the first station available west of Ontario as the signal reached Vancouver and Victoria. The film of the coronation was flown to Vancouver and then transported by the RCMP and Washington State Police to Bellingham, and the broadcast of the coronation was the inaugural broadcast of KVOS.

Ottawa’s first television station, CBOT, signed on for the first time on June 2, 1953, and was done just in time for Ottawa viewers to see the coronation.

The technology of the day when she was coronated just goes to show how long she was on the throne.

September 8, 2022 6:01 pm  #22

It was a huge hassle getting those pics here in a timely manner in the days before satellite. From the TV Guide article:

"NBC for the last several months has been monitoring BBC video pictures in a direct live pickup from London. The BBC signal is being bounced once off the ionosphere and slanted via direct line-of-sight beam to a high-powered receiving antenna on a remote Long Island outpost. NBC claims to have been receiving the BBC pictures steadily, although the quality is somewhat fuzzy."

"If atmospheric conditions are favorable on Coronation Day, NBC hopes to bring viewers at least occasional live pickups from London during that 5:30 A.M. show. If the attempt fails, it will rely on the same system to be employed by CBS and ABC. This will involve a live voice pickup from England (actually only radio) but backgrounded in the New York studios by movies, wire photos and other graphic arts displays to simulate the actual events in London.

"ABC, for its part, has been experimenting with miniature replicas of the Palace, the Abbey and other buildings along the procession route. These it plans to combine with a new system of rear-screen projection to give viewers the illusion they are actually witnessing the Coronation as it occurs.

"Besides the BBC kinescopes being flown from London to Montreal, both NBC and CBS have hired planes to size-240 films taken by their own cameramen back to New York for 6 P.M. broadcasts. These films are to be processed and edited en route or before they leave London.

"The time differential will work to the networks’ advantage, since a plane leaving London at 10 P.M British time can reach New York by noon New York time."

What a very different time that was. We have been spoiled by the technology they didn't have back then. Covering any major event was either delayed or not done. It wasn't possible to get anything live from that far away. 

You can read the original TV Guide article here.  

September 8, 2022 6:19 pm  #23

RadioActive wrote:

The coverage of this could conceivably go on for days, now that the longest serving monarch in history has passed. 

Until the funeral in about 10 days.

September 8, 2022 6:54 pm  #24

On another issue, what genius at WGRZ-TV decided a Bills pre-game was more important than the one episode of NBC Nightly News that featured perhaps the biggest story in decades? Sure enough, Lester Holt was nowhere to be seen on Buffalo's Channel 2 at 6:30 PM, instead giving us half an hour of inane drivel about the Bills, who were due to kick off the NFL season at 8 PM.

Now it can be argued that the Bills are practically a religion in the Queen City, and the fact that Channel 2 had the rights to this game made it far more important than the 6:30 news. Fair enough. But the game wasn't scheduled to start until 8 PM, and guess what airs for an hour at 7? You got it - more Bills pre-game! 

I'm sure they had this thing sold and maybe didn't have a choice, but on the one night you'd think they'd want to air a national newscast, it was interrupted not by sports, but by endless people talking about sports. I'm sure in many ways it was the right decision for them. But for someone like me who DVRs the American cast, to turn it on and find these morons droning on and on about football on the day one of the most famous people in the world passes away is simply staggering. 

I'm pretty sure most here won't agree, but what a terrible decision by the people at WGRZ. The very least they could have done was shift the NBC cast to one of their sub-channels. Instead, you could see a 500-year-old rerun of Three's Company there.

Idiots. 

September 8, 2022 7:05 pm  #25

RadioActive wrote:

On another issue, what genius at WGRZ-TV decided a Bills pre-game was more important than the one episode of NBC Nightly News that featured perhaps the biggest story in decades? Sure enough, Lester Holt was nowhere to be seen on Buffalo's Channel 2 at 6:30 PM, instead giving us half an hour of inane drivel about the Bills, who were due to kick off the NFL season at 8 PM.

Now it can be argued that the Bills are practically a religion in the Queen City, and the fact that Channel 2 had the rights to this game made it far more important than the 6:30 news. Fair enough. But the game wasn't scheduled to start until 8 PM, and guess what airs for an hour at 7? You got it - more Bills pre-game! 

I'm sure they had this thing sold and maybe didn't have a choice, but on the one night you'd think they'd want to air a national newscast, it was interrupted not by sports, but by endless people talking about sports. I'm sure in many ways it was the right decision for them. But for someone like me who DVRs the American cast, to turn it on and find these morons droning on and on about football on the day one of the most famous people in the world passes away is simply staggering. 

I'm pretty sure most here won't agree, but what a terrible decision by the people at WGRZ. The very least they could have done was shift the NBC cast to one of their sub-channels. Instead, you could see a 500-year-old rerun of Three's Company there.

Idiots. 

Capitalism.

September 8, 2022 7:20 pm  #26

Too bad WGRZ wasn't somehow able to carry Lester's NBC cast at 6:30. Nightly News did an excellent job and the death of the Queen was the whole newscast.   Detroit's local NBC affiliate WDIV had reaction from across the border in Windsor during their local cast at 5 and 6pm and gave the death a lot of prominence for a local broadcast. 

September 8, 2022 8:48 pm  #27

Have to give some kudos to both AM 640 and CFRB. At least the latter isn't airing rerolls from the morning when news broke of "health concerns" for the Queen. That would sound idiotic, especially after what happened later in the day. Instead, it sounds like they're running audio from CTV News Channel, which, while not ideal, is better than a dated rerun.

As for 640, it appears to be leveraging Global TV material, and even ran Global National for half an hour. Unfortunately, Farah Nasser threw to a retrospective on the Queen's life, which turned out to be entirely made up of still pics or silent footage. So all anyone heard listening to the radio was 5 minutes of music.

But hey, at least it's better than both stations' usual fare, especially during a story of major importance.  

September 8, 2022 11:59 pm  #28

CTV, CBC, and Global went to wall-to-wall coverage on their terrestrial networks just after 1:30 PM ET (CTV and CBC cut in just after 1:30, Global a few minutes after that). Both CBC and Global left the air around 5 PM ET to let their local news in the Atlantic provinces go to air, Global went until 5:30 ET to allow for local news, but the Western stations got additional national coverage until their local evening news. 

September 9, 2022 10:15 am  #29

Nice touch this morning that the news networks let the picture speak for itself for 8 minutes.  Charles had arrived in London and there was a large crowd waiting for him as he got out of the limo.  He went through shook hands, chatted with individuals, even got a few kisses, but the news networks just let the shot roll with no or little commentary.  Nothing needed to be said. 

September 9, 2022 11:28 am  #30

I notice google has gone from their usual screen in bright colours to just grey.

Last edited by turkeytop (September 9, 2022 11:30 am)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.