sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 7, 2022 10:47 am  #1

Has The Southwestern Ontario Radio Board Been Reborn?

A long time ago, the SOWNY Board had a cousin, if you will, called the Southwestern Ontario Broadcast Media Forum (also known as the Quadcities Board.) Up until Tuesday, it hadn't had a new message posted to it since last May. And not much before that. The Admin. seems to be trying to renew it, with a new look (green, not blue) and the first new post there in months, along with the elimination of a sub-board for non-radio messages.

I wish them luck and it's nice to see them trying to make a comeback. There's plenty of room for all of us!

The board mostly focuses on radio from the Kitchener-Waterloo area and points east, with the occasional foray into the GTA. You can see the new and improved model here.

September 7, 2022 11:13 am  #2

Re: Has The Southwestern Ontario Radio Board Been Reborn?

Thanks for passing this along RA.  I had forgotten about this board and only checked it out a few times since there wasn't any activity.  Think I will bore the Quadcities Board with a few long winded, repetitive and poorly written posts, just like I do on here.   Since I live in K/W I have lots to say about SW Ontario media...

September 7, 2022 11:27 am  #3

paterson1 wrote:

Thanks for passing this along RA.  I had forgotten about this board and only checked it out a few times since there wasn't any activity.  Think I will bore the Quadcities Board with a few long winded, repetitive and poorly written posts, just like I do on here.   Since I live in K/W I have lots to say about SW Ontario media...

Long winded? perhaps. Sometimes it takes several paragraphs to explain your personal point of view. Poorly written? Never. You are mostly able to get your point across in a clear, concise manner. As for the "Quad Cities" I always thought it had something to do with radio in Bettendorf/Davenport, Iowa and Moline/East Moline, Illinois, the original Quad Cities.

September 7, 2022 11:29 am  #4

Interesting that a survey was done. Maybe how well the board does depends on who maintains it?
https://quadcities.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=460 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 7, 2022 11:39 am  #5

mace wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Long winded? perhaps. Sometimes it takes several paragraphs to explain your personal point of view. Poorly written? Never. You are mostly able to get your point across in a clear, concise manner. As for the "Quad Cities" I always thought it had something to do with radio in Bettendorf/Davenport, Iowa and Moline/East Moline, Illinois, the original Quad Cities.

Hahaha, thanks mace.  Yes around here it is twin or tri cities not quad.  We don't usually include Guelph for some reason.  However with all of the growth in Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge and Guelph, eventually we will be one city, at least on the map. 

September 7, 2022 11:48 am  #6

paterson1 wrote:

Hahaha, thanks mace.  Yes around here it is twin or tri cities not quad.  We don't usually include Guelph for some reason.  However with all of the growth in Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge and Guelph, eventually we will be one city, at least on the map. 

I know a few Guelphites (Guelphers?) who would fight us at RR32 before that ever happened 

September 7, 2022 2:31 pm  #7

RonaldS wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I know a few Guelphites (Guelphers?) who would fight us at RR32 before that ever happened 

Yes the fine folk of Guelph would never join K/W/Cambridge.  They are even in a different county, so that alone would likely get them off the hook! Come to think of it, Waterloo has never been anxious to amalgamate with Kitchener either.  

September 7, 2022 11:57 pm  #8

I can't be bothered.  Let Irvine play by himself.

September 8, 2022 6:23 am  #9

No wonder this board is dead, the moderator's email address doesn't work.  Whoever is the moderator, they have no idea what they are doing.  Tried to get a new password, message was returned as it was a "Failed Destination".

September 8, 2022 7:01 am  #10

I have nothing to do with that board, but I tried to get a new password by hitting "log in." It then gives you an option asking if you lost your password. Clicking on that prompts you for your email, which should return an option for you to do just that. Not sure if that works, but you may not need the admin's address to get there. It should be an automated process through Boardhost. 

If you're motivated enough, maybe try it again and see what happens.   

September 8, 2022 7:33 am  #11

Did all that.....still didn't work.  The moderator's email address is not working.

September 8, 2022 8:13 am  #12

Sorry to hear that. Maybe if he/she reads this thread, a change will be made. I guess you'll have to stick with SOWNY for the time being! We're happy to talk about Kitchener-Waterloo radio or TV - or just about anywhere else.

September 8, 2022 8:16 am  #13

laffin wrote:

the moderator's email address doesn't work.  Whoever is the moderator, they have no idea what they are doing   

Maybe you've been banned, like Pete Rose and Marge Schott

September 8, 2022 10:01 am  #14

laffin wrote:

Did all that.....still didn't work.  The moderator's email address is not working.

Well, you could always try this board:  https://canadianradionews.boardhost.com/ 

There's also a few other boards out there, but they are American driven. 
(Sorry, no link. Radio Discussions is one of them)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 8, 2022 1:15 pm  #15

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I can't be bothered.  Let Irvine play by himself.

Don’t know what led to this post but I’m sorry I missed it.

April 21, 2023 7:54 pm  #16

I was just cleaning out some old bookmarks, and I noticed that no activity is evident on either the Canadian Radio Forums, or the Southern Ontario Media Forums (the former Blue Board).  My post on the passing of Tom Allen was the last one (in the case of the latter).

Weren't these being taken over by someone?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

April 25, 2023 9:39 pm  #17

Jody Thornton wrote:

I was just cleaning out some old bookmarks, and I noticed that no activity is evident on either the Canadian Radio Forums, or the Southern Ontario Media Forums (the former Blue Board).  My post on the passing of Tom Allen was the last one (in the case of the latter).

Weren't these being taken over by someone?

The last time someone posted was January of this year on the Canadian Radio Forums in the BC section about "The Peak". On the Southwestern Ontario/TV Forums someone recently posted in the "Listening Habits". So I am guessing it is still active. I was browsing through it and there were a lot of topics posted by the user named: "GOD HELP US".