sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 7, 2022 8:16 am  #1

What Does CTV's Scheduling Of This Cdn. Show Say To Viewers?

I just heard a promo for the new season of "Transplant" on CTV, debuting on Sept. 23rd. It's certainly one of the more successful and high profile Canadian shows on any Great White North network. So when is it coming back? Friday nights.

Yep, CTV is running what is arguably its most successful Canadian-made drama on one of the lowest viewed evenings in all of primetime, second only to Saturdays for absent audiences. Why do you suppose that is?

My suspicion is they don't want to schedule it at a time that might interrupt a more lucrative U.S. import, which gets the benefit of simulcast substitution in this country. I know most people DVR their favourite shows now, so maybe this doesn't make as much difference as it once would have. But this drama is one of the more successful and well known on Canadian TV, with big sales overseas and in the U.S.

It's the Rodney Dangerfield of Canuck television - it gets no respect from the network that pays for it.  And to bury it on a night when there are fewer eyeballs to see it says everything you need to know about how the programming minds at Bell think.

It deserves a "Transplant" to a better night, stat. Even if that means an American show has to go somewhere else. 

September 7, 2022 9:18 am  #2

Re: What Does CTV's Scheduling Of This Cdn. Show Say To Viewers?

Bingo! After reading the post title, my first thought was CTV doesn't to mess with their simsub nights. When the NFL starts every fall, I can predict which game most CTV affilliate will carry because of simsub. Atlantic Canada-Patriots, Montreal-Giants for some reason, Toronto/Kitchener-Bills, Ottawa-Lions because they get Detroit tv? Can't be any other reason to watch that dreadful team. Winnipeg-Vikiings because of the Bud Grant Bomber connection Alberta/BC-Seahawks. Saskatchewan-I always get wrong. No NFL city nearby and it is probably the most loyal CFL province in Canada.

September 7, 2022 9:49 am  #3

While I don't doubt that CTV is trying to protect as much sim sub as possible, they're also filling time that W5 might not be able to compete with.
ABC is doing 2020 while NBC does their Dateline NBC. 
Heck, even FOX saw that (wrestling aside) it's not wise to put their TMZ "Who killed Michael Jackson" content head on against ABC & NBC's programming 9pm Friday night.

Now that Holmes is done his run, something had to go in that timeslot.

Last edited by Radiowiz (September 7, 2022 10:01 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 7, 2022 10:34 am  #4

Actually Friday is a stronger night for TV ratings in Canada than the US.  Blue Bloods which has been on CTV at 10pm for years is often in the top five shows for the week. CTV ran Magnum PI last year to decent ratings (top 10) at 9pm on Friday, and the show was much more popular here than the US.  So  Friday television isn't quite the wasteland of TV viewing on Canadian TV. Scheduling Transplant right before Blue Bloods may work, since it did for Magnum PI last year.  

In terms of W5, at first blush Saturday at 7pm shouldn't be a great time for a public affairs show, but W5 more than holds it's own in the ratings.  This long running program outperforming 60 Minutes, 20/20 and Dateline NBC in terms of ratings and usually in the top 30.

Last edited by paterson1 (September 7, 2022 10:34 am)