sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 2, 2022 11:45 am  #1

Jamil Jivani Sues Bell

Caught this in one of my feeds today.  Interesting reading.

Statement of Claim

Last edited by Ixltoo (September 3, 2022 12:13 am)

September 2, 2022 1:11 pm  #2

Re: Jamil Jivani Sues Bell

September 2, 2022 2:06 pm  #3

As it so often does, this case may come down to who has the best lawyer. And if the filing is seen as timely or otherwise due to recent circumstances. And I am in no way implying that it is anything of the sort.
Here's the shot across the bow in the Twitterverse.
The second sentence is... interesting.

https://twitter.com/jamiljivani/status/1565718103530553344?t=rCX3B4IwZV61QVlPYGmR-Q&s=19

Last edited by betaylored (September 2, 2022 2:18 pm)

September 2, 2022 3:59 pm  #4

It also comes down to what his contract actually says and how much leeway it gives to Bell to terminate. 

September 2, 2022 4:06 pm  #5

His lawyer is fellow National Post columnist Kathryn Marshall. https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Kathryn_Marshall

September 2, 2022 4:13 pm  #6

One interesting tidbits from the statement of claim. For a nightly 3 hour show, Jivani was paid: "a salary of $75,000 with the possibility of an additional $10,000 in a bonus, which was dependent on ratings"

September 2, 2022 4:50 pm  #7

Fact.  He destroyed the ratings at Newstalk 1010 and CJAD 800.  Both had very respectable A25-54 #'s with Barb hosting in Toronto and John Pole hosting in Montreal.

Maybe he needed more time?   It's possible he's right about how he was treated, but from an audience perspective Bell has a pretty easy case.

September 2, 2022 5:55 pm  #8

I understand he did not make too many friends during his tenure, nobody sorry to see him gone

RadioQuiz wrote:

Fact. He destroyed the ratings at Newstalk 1010 and CJAD 800. Both had very respectable A25-54 #'s with Barb hosting in Toronto and John Pole hosting in Montreal.

Maybe he needed more time? It's possible he's right about how he was treated, but from an audience perspective Bell has a pretty easy case.

September 2, 2022 5:55 pm  #9

RadioQuiz wrote:

Fact. He destroyed the ratings at Newstalk 1010 and CJAD 800. Both had very respectable A25-54 #'s with Barb hosting in Toronto and John Pole hosting in Montreal.

Maybe he needed more time? It's possible he's right about how he was treated, but from an audience perspective Bell has a pretty easy case.

In fairness weren't there a lot of fluctuations with radio ratings during this time?  It was in the depths of COVID (fall 2020 early 2021) and I seem to recall that many stations including Newstalk 1010 had abnormal numbers in various dayparts.  And much of this wasn't necessarily positive.  If I was Bell, I am not sure citing his ratings would be a good thing to do.

September 2, 2022 6:19 pm  #10

You're correct that ratings were wonky then, but I'd bet nobody involved would know to raise that. That argument might actually work for Bell.

(In reality, ratings in that time slot are essentially useless with or without COVID)

September 2, 2022 6:35 pm  #11

Yes.  Ratings across the board were impacted by covid.  However both previous hosts delivered decent #'s through the pandemic... then when they were gone... the ratings dropped and dropped... two markets for sure.   There is a consistent story 7p-10p.

At the end of the day... an amateur took the spot of a couple of radio vets... you don't have to be a brain surgeon on this one.

Last edited by RadioQuiz (September 2, 2022 6:36 pm)

September 2, 2022 11:41 pm  #12

Some of the comments in the Statement of Claim sound similar to some of the issues raised by Lisa LaFlamme:

"Ms. Whyte (General Manager) did attend, and informed him that his employment was being terminated “as a result of changes to the organization.”

"I want to be sure we are reflecting the company’s strong commitment to Diversity and Inclusion, and that we are building passion in our audience and growing our ratings. We are incredibly challenged right now in both ratings and revenue, and it’s critical that we remain aligned."

Last edited by Ixltoo (September 2, 2022 11:46 pm)

September 3, 2022 1:45 am  #13

Hansa wrote:

His lawyer is fellow National Post columnist Kathryn Marshall. https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Kathryn_Marshall

Interesting that Marshall works for Levitt Sheikh LLP. Howard Levitt was a fixture on Newstalk 1010 and other Bell radio stations (i.e. 610 CKTB) throughout the pandemic (including daily at some points) as well as the traditional Sunday afternoon call-in employment law show. That call-in show abruptly ended without schedule explanation (they air a lazy re-roll of "The Rush" in that timeslot) in late June 2022 and "go to" employment law expertise are other people other than Levitt.

Wonder if Levitt ended that relationship given his firm would be suing Bell with this claim - or vice-versa if they had an indication of that even before this document.