sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 1, 2022 11:06 am  #1

Jerry Agar Calls Out The SOWNY Board On His Show

Well, I certainly can't let this go by unnoticed. On Thursday, Jerry Agar was talking about the value of reviews on social media and took a call from somebody who said people were criticizing the longtime NT1010 host online - referring to a "Bruce Marshall" as being a particular offender.

(For the record, I'm not sure if Bruce Marshall was ever a member of SOWNY. Was the caller referring to Lee Marshall, who used to post here? If so, he hasn't left a message since Dec. 2019, and never commented on Agar in any event. But back to the on-air shout out. Well, it was really more like a "shout at!")

Agar responded that he knows about "The Big Yellow Board," as he called it, but that he never reads it because it's "filled with former radio people who think they know how to do radio better than the people who are on air."

There may actually be a certain truth to that for some posters here, but it's not entirely accurate. There are a lot of people currently working in the industry who leave all kinds of comments both good and bad and many of them make excellent points and have a lot of accumulated knowledge about the biz. And they are, of course, free to express their opinions here. Too bad Jerry will never see them!

Anyway, at the very least, he knows who we are. And you remember that old cliche, "as long as they spell your name right." So thanks for the mention, Jerry. It's nice to know you're aware of the Big Yeller. Even if you won't see this! 

September 1, 2022 11:26 am  #2

Re: Jerry Agar Calls Out The SOWNY Board On His Show

It seems to me I do now recall that Bruce Marshall was once a SOWNY member, but he hasn't been active here in a very long time. And I don't particularly remember him ever posting anything about Agar. If he did, that caller would have had to have had an extremely long memory because it would have been years ago. Nothing since.

Mr. Marshall is, of course, welcome back anytime to set the record straight, if he so chooses. 

September 1, 2022 12:02 pm  #3

September 1, 2022 1:05 pm  #4

Although Bruce did post here many years ago, the place where he criticizes Agar is the Newstalk1010 Listeners Group on Facebook. But it was nice of Agar to give the board some free publicity. 

September 1, 2022 1:48 pm  #5

I trust that Mr. Agar will make a proper retraction on Friday mornings show, and set the record straight...  SOWNY is not Facebook.

(what ever happened to research, fact checking and show prep?)

September 1, 2022 2:18 pm  #6

Just call him Jerry Anger. 

September 1, 2022 3:48 pm  #7

I rather enjoyed Bruce's posts on the previous iteration of sowny. IIRC he left because of the Ziggy trolling.

As for Agar, well, let's just say a little teabagging goes a long way.

September 1, 2022 3:57 pm  #8

Chrisphen wrote:

.... IIRC he left because of the Ziggy trolling.

yes, that is my understanding as well..... 

September 2, 2022 2:15 pm  #9

Jerry is currently on vacation and driving to Texas, with Mark Twoey sitting in for him.

September 2, 2022 2:21 pm  #10

He's going to be with his son, whose restaurant burned to the ground in August. Cause still unknown. For that, I have great sympathy for him and his family. 

‘I watched that dream literally burn down’: Rye restaurant in McKinney closes after fire

September 2, 2022 5:37 pm  #11

Sorry to hear that RA, it speaks highly of Jerry to head down there to support his son.

September 3, 2022 11:33 am  #12

Jerry is a good dad going to Texas to help his son.  Looks like the Go Fund Me page is doing well.  Over $17,000 raised with a goal of $25,000.