sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 30, 2022 9:36 am  #1

Is This Fall's U.S. Primetime Line-Up The Worst In TV History?

I subscribe to the U.S. TV Guide online and this week, they issued their 70th annual "Fall Preview" issue, probably their most anticipated publication of the entire year. It's always been one of my favourites and I delved into as I usually do, looking for details on the coming shows. 

But after reading it, I can honestly say for the first time in my life, there isn't a single new show that even remotely interests me. That's never, ever happened before. 

I know a lot of people have given up free network TV in favour of streaming and this won't do anything to slow down the transition. Every network now has its own online service - NBC (Peacock,) CBS (Paramount+), ABC (Disney+), and Fox (Hulu) - and I can't help but wonder if they're somehow deliberately putting on subpar material in order to drive people to a more profitable pay TV model. 

Of course, this affects the Canadian stations too, who are finding themselves with a kind of Hobson's Choice when it comes to buying new primetime material. 

The issue also lists the new streaming shows, an update for our modern age, and frankly there's little there that tempts me, either. 

It's not entirely fair to judge the line-up without seeing the shows, of course, but this looks like the worst TV season since the medium began in the 50s. Guess it's back to reading this fall!

August 30, 2022 10:37 am  #2

Re: Is This Fall's U.S. Primetime Line-Up The Worst In TV History?

For new shows, I am going to give Quantum Leap and Monarch a view of the first episode . For sophomore shows, only La Brea interests me. The Law and Orders, NCIS and Blue Bloods are still of interest for stalwarts.  . 

August 31, 2022 8:19 am  #3

Re: Is This Fall's U.S. Primetime Line-Up The Worst In TV History?

The Real Love Boat?? I never liked the original Love Boat which sailed on ABC for nine seasons. I predict this new version will quickly be torpedoed by NBC's Chicago Fire.