sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2022 1:30 am  #121

Re: Lisa LaFlamme out at CTV

August 27, 2022 7:28 am  #122

Howard Levitt's weekly Workplace Law column at FP4 of this morning's print edition National Post doesn't pull any punches as one may have expected since Bell/CFRB provides his pulpit

Right up there on today's interesting meter with R. Murphy, R. de Souza and even good ol' Conrad Black's columns (on other topics)

Last edited by Ms. C. (August 27, 2022 7:29 am)

August 27, 2022 8:50 am  #123

Ms. C. wrote:

Howard Levitt's weekly Workplace Law column at FP4 of this morning's print edition National Post doesn't pull any punches as one may have expected since Bell/CFRB provides his pulpit

Here is the link to the FP column:

Howard Levitt: Many questions arise as Bell Media scrambles to handle the Lisa LaFlamme fallout

Incidentally, I noticed Levitt's CFRB 1010 Sunday afternoon "Employment Law" show hasn't been a "thing" for several months now - last episode was in June. Sunira Chaudhry, ex of Levitt's firm and now out on her own, has been the go-to when needed to comment on employment law matters on other shows (i.e. John Moore's). I assumed the show had ran its course and Levitt pulled advertising dollars for 1010 (and/or other Bell media stations).

Last edited by AspectRatio (August 27, 2022 8:52 am)

August 28, 2022 11:52 am  #125

Lior Samfiru is/was the on-air lawyer for Corus.  Levitt was heard on CFRB.  Being on air doesn't necessarily mean the station uses their services.

Levitt is basically the "gold standard" for employment lawyers and charges appropriately.

Last edited by Peter the K (August 28, 2022 11:54 am)

August 28, 2022 1:22 pm  #126

During my career with my Union, I've gone up against Levitt at Labour Board hearings. He's a sleazebag.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

August 28, 2022 2:20 pm  #127

AspectRatio wrote:

Ms. C. wrote:

Here is the link to the FP column:

Howard Levitt: Many questions arise as Bell Media scrambles to handle the Lisa LaFlamme fallout

Incidentally, I noticed Levitt's CFRB 1010 Sunday afternoon "Employment Law" show hasn't been a "thing" for several months now - last episode was in June. Sunira Chaudhry, ex of Levitt's firm and now out on her own, has been the go-to when needed to comment on employment law matters on other shows (i.e. John Moore's). I assumed the show had ran its course and Levitt pulled advertising dollars for 1010 (and/or other Bell media stations).

Levitt turned up on Roy Green's show on Corus Sunday afternoon. He agrees Bell made an absolute mess of this and he thinks they should eat humble pie and bring LaFlamme back and admit their error, or face more backlash. His prediction: unless the public accepts Melling as the sacrificial lamb and this thing dies down soon, more heads are probably going to roll. 

August 28, 2022 2:38 pm  #128

Peter the K wrote:

Lior Samfiru is/was the on-air lawyer for Corus.  Levitt was heard on CFRB.  Being on air doesn't necessarily mean the station uses their services.

Levitt is basically the "gold standard" for employment lawyers and charges appropriately.

He's high profile, thanks to his media gigs, but he actually doesn't have a great reputation. I've heard labour arbitrators scoff when his name is mentioned (specifically, when something he's written or argued is referenced by a lawyer as authoritative)

Last edited by Hansa (August 28, 2022 2:43 pm)

August 29, 2022 8:18 pm  #129

CNN just did a segment on the story, thanks to Wendy's change to its mascot's hair colour. Quite an accomplishment on the part of Bell and CTV, to manage to get a story about their newscast featured on American tv. 

August 30, 2022 2:13 am  #130

Lorne wrote:

CNN just did a segment on the story, thanks to Wendy's change to its mascot's hair colour. Quite an accomplishment on the part of Bell and CTV, to manage to get a story about their newscast featured on American tv. 

here's the tweet including the news piece, did CNN make an error by reporting Lisa used to be blonde?!
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1564421457295425537?t=VHBmauNuNbs9QIuEd1SveQ&s=19

Last edited by betaylored (August 30, 2022 2:24 am)

August 30, 2022 10:38 am  #131

Ironically, they might have gotten that detail right if they still had a Chief Media Correspondent to report on the story. 

August 30, 2022 10:42 am  #132

Brianna Kielar and John Berman had a discussion around 840 am today on CNN's New Day.  Bell is in full Whac-a-mole mode. It just won't go away.

August 30, 2022 11:20 am  #133

Peter the K wrote:

In any of my dealings with Levitt at the Labour Board, he was always representing an anti-Union employer in it's efforts to prevent it's employees from joining a Union.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

August 30, 2022 1:44 pm  #134

Skywave wrote:

Brianna Kielar and John Berman had a discussion around 840 am today on CNN's New Day.  Bell is in full Whac-a-mole mode. It just won't go away.

CNN's new ownership has led to the #BoycottCNN hashtag all over Twitter. I wonder if CTV will report on that? 

August 30, 2022 2:21 pm  #135

For what it's worth, here is CNN's discussion this morning on Lisa's firing and the reaction of the public.
Everyone agrees that Bell really botched this...https://www.cnn.com/videos/media/2022/08/30/canada-tv-anchor-lisa-laflamme-firing-gray-hair-newday-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/business-media/

August 30, 2022 5:17 pm  #136

betaylored wrote:

Lorne wrote:

here's the tweet including the news piece, did CNN make an error by reporting Lisa used to be blonde?!
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1564421457295425537?t=VHBmauNuNbs9QIuEd1SveQ&s=19

Yeah. I read that last night and saw the "blonde" comment. I'm like, that's not right.

August 31, 2022 4:53 pm  #137

Just for fun, I went on the CTV News website and did a search for "LaFlamme." Surprise! Not a single story about her firing came up in the results. Anything that might have been there has been scrubbed off of it. So much for reporting ALL the news...

August 31, 2022 8:41 pm  #138

It looks like it makes a difference if you search for news stories about this at toronto.ctvnews.ca, as you did, vs. ctvnews.ca ... there are plenty of stories there.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/search-results/search-ctv-news-7.137?q=laflamme

August 31, 2022 8:52 pm  #139

Would never have occurred to me that there would be a difference. I wonder why? A site search should be a site search. Anyways, thanks for finding this. It somewhat restores my faith that somebody there isn't trying to avoid the subject.

August 31, 2022 10:13 pm  #140

RadioActive wrote:

Would never have occurred to me that there would be a difference. I wonder why? A site search should be a site search. Anyways, thanks for finding this. It somewhat restores my faith that somebody there isn't trying to avoid the subject.

If the Toronto site was ctv.ca/toronto it would have come up in the same search.  Dots and slashes mean different things in a web address.

September 1, 2022 12:25 pm  #141

Global’s Morning Show just had Rod Black on as a guest, and they talked about Lisa. Rod focused on how strong a professional she is and didn’t really criticize Bell.

Still, it just continues to be everywhere.

September 1, 2022 4:10 pm  #142

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Global’s Morning Show just had Rod Black on as a guest, and they talked about Lisa. Rod focused on how strong a professional she is and didn’t really criticize Bell.

Still, it just continues to be everywhere.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2022/09/katie-couric-lisa-laflamme/

Everywhere indeed, Katie Couric has spoken out about this.

Down the road Bell Media's handling of the whole situation may become part of university courses in media, social studies, marketing and PR.

Timing is everything, will the Labour Day long weekend be enough to cool off interest. Lisa's next move may determine how much longer Bell's very public nightmare drags on.

Last edited by betaylored (September 1, 2022 4:11 pm)

September 1, 2022 4:35 pm  #143

MJ Vancouver wrote:

...Still, it just continues to be everywhere.

If Melling returns to his job, I'll be shocked.

September 1, 2022 4:58 pm  #145

https://www.shape.com/celebrities/news/lisa-laflamme-fired-for-gray-hair

an American wellness magazine with a huge Canadian fanbase as well chimes in, and with the continuing ripple effect this story is becoming or already is, a cultural moment.