sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 18, 2022 11:34 am  #1

Are These Really The "10 Best Radio Tuning Apps" On The Web?

It's the claim made in the list compiled by Screen Rant, and I have to admit I've only heard or ever used a few of them, like Tune-In and Accu-Radio, which is probably my favourite for when I'm in the mood for music.

But there are some, like Radio Droid or MyTuner, that I've never seen before. 

What's in each? You can read about them and try them for yourself here. 

August 18, 2022 12:15 pm  #2

Re: Are These Really The "10 Best Radio Tuning Apps" On The Web?

Sirius still has an online portal? I cancelled my subscription years ago in part because they discontinued the internet streaming feature.

August 18, 2022 12:41 pm  #3

Sirius’ streaming works on Tune-in on my Amazon products, as well as a separate app on osx devices.  I also have the ability to stream it on various configurations of SONOS speakers - from the Sonos app (OSX devices including iphone, ipad, desktop, laptop)
They may cut you a deal for under $8 per month for full straming rights

August 18, 2022 12:43 pm  #4

Correction, on the Amazon products, the Amazon app is configured to authenticate login to my sirius account.  Not Tune-in.  My mistake.  But my voice commands to amazon devices generallly starts streaming to a particular device - i.e.  Amazon Show, Amazon Echo, etc.

August 18, 2022 5:34 pm  #5

MyTuner is the best. I love the layout and the station logos.

August 19, 2022 8:57 am  #6

Others I have discovered include Simple Radio, Audials and Radio AM/FM. Generally, I find Tune-In the best. For those who miss crystal clear Buffalo FM, I would suggest My Tuner Radio. All the big guns are there plus WNED, WBFO.WECK, WUFO [96.5 not 1080] and WBNY [91.3] WGR, WBEN and WEBR are also available.

August 19, 2022 9:03 am  #7

Try this one....Radio Garden 
http://radio.garden/visit/mississauga/FA68oni7
Use it every day  on the home computer. They also have an app 

August 19, 2022 6:35 pm  #8

The WUFO stream is the same whether it's "1080" or "96.5" - they are required to be exactly the same programming. (Except after dark when 1080 is off the air!)

August 19, 2022 7:46 pm  #9

fybush wrote:

The WUFO stream is the same whether it's "1080" or "96.5" - they are required to be exactly the same programming. (Except after dark when 1080 is off the air!)

I know the programming would be the same. Wouldn't the 96.5 signal be in stereo?

August 19, 2022 7:48 pm  #10

I think most of the signals uplinked to the web are in stereo.

August 19, 2022 9:12 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

I think most of the signals uplinked to the web are in stereo.

Very much so. There's no rule that says the stream has to go through the same processing chain as the broadcast, and usually it doesn't. For US stations, there's also usually a replacement set of spots that go out on the stream, separate from what's on the broadcast signal.