sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2022 12:10 pm  #1

Why Evan Solomon May Be Unique In Canadian Broadcasting

Canada's House of Commons rose for the summer on Thursday, June 23rd. Evan Solomon did his last show for CTV (Question Period) the following Sunday, June 25th. As far as I know, he hasn't been on either radio or TV since. At the end of the last Question Period, he noted he'd be "taking some time off now that the politicians were leaving Ottawa." 

And leave he did. It's now edging towards two months since he graced either medium. I'm not begrudging him the extra leave because he works hard, with a radio show and a follow-up TV program for CTV News Channel every day as well as the mostly pre-taped Sunday effort. But man, that's a very long vacation. 

Most of us get about two, three or maybe four weeks a year off. This is edging into several months. I'm not sure if his deal is tied into what happens in Parliament, but politicians won't be returning there until Sept. 22nd! He's become the Johnny Carson of Canadian media (remember how the Tonight Show host was always away, especially on Mondays and Fridays?) 

All I want to know is how do the rest of us get that deal?

August 11, 2022 12:23 pm  #2

Re: Why Evan Solomon May Be Unique In Canadian Broadcasting

RadioActive wrote:

All I want to know is how do the rest of us get that deal?

Easy. Become a teacher. Enjoy your summer off! 
(although some do teach summer school, so even then, a large break of time off is not secured)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 11, 2022 12:33 pm  #3

If the schedule I'm guessing at is correct, he actually has MORE time off than the teachers - and no threat of any strike action!

August 11, 2022 12:41 pm  #4

Maybe the trade off is that he's expected to be on 7 days a week with no guaranteed weekends off, depending on what happens on Parliament Hill.

Didn't he fill in on CTV National News for a bit this summer?

August 11, 2022 12:47 pm  #5

I know he did do a few newscasts but I can't recall if it falls in the period where he's been absent. I miss him most on his afternoon radio show on iHeart. The substitute hosts are nowhere near as good and mostly not as knowledgeable. One thing you can say about Solomon, he really knows his stuff when it comes to politics. 

August 11, 2022 1:38 pm  #6

Perhaps he's spending his summer looking for art to buy and sell?

August 11, 2022 1:51 pm  #7

Hansa wrote:

Perhaps he's spending his summer looking for art to buy and sell?

I hear the CBC has a few open walls!

August 11, 2022 2:05 pm  #8

His live reports on that frigid Friday from the Ottawa blockade were riveting. I hadn't really paid alot of attention to him prior to that day, but found my self switching from 640 to 1010 at 1pm weekdays to listen to the second hour. Now that Alan Carter is gone from the 640 noon show,1010 will be on my dial when Evan  returns to the air. 

August 15, 2022 12:56 pm  #9

Nice to hear Evan back on his radio show Monday. He's been off almost 2 and a half months! Not quite as long as the teachers, as it turns out, but a nice long vacation nonetheless.