sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 9, 2022 11:08 am  #1

Derringer Out

According to Q107 Twitter CORUS and Derringer have parted ways. 

https://twitter.com/q107toronto/status/1557018790365478913?s=21&t=dGt87T-qsfT1KjqHKzvGRQ

August 9, 2022 11:28 am  #2

Re: Derringer Out

It's funny, because originally Q rejected Derringer as a morning host. 
He went to Fan for a bit, then Q picked him up.
I'm glad he is gone.
I hope a better morning show will air soon.
I also hope it's a local morning show and not something airing all over Ontario.
(or other places for that matter)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 9, 2022 11:33 am  #3

This was inevitable in my mind. There was simply no way he could come back after so many women went public with the accusations against him. I'm surprised it took this long, although they had to make it look like they were doing an investigation, which I'm sure they did. 

Another Jian Ghomeshi-Mike Bullard-Mike Stafford career ending moment. It's too bad, but it certainly appears that he may well have brought it upon himself.  

August 9, 2022 2:22 pm  #4

Probably took so long in order to negotiate a severance agreement so that Corus could avoid a wrongful dismissal or breach of contract lawsuit (not that dismissing Derringer wasn't the right thing to do)

Last edited by Hansa (August 9, 2022 2:22 pm)

August 9, 2022 2:35 pm  #5

If you read the replies to the original Q107 tweet, many listeners want to know what happens to his two male co-hosts, Ryan and Garbutt, with the majority demanding they be turfed, too. But so far, no word on their fates. 

One other thing - a number of posters (including yours truly) have lamented the lack of overall radio coverage in local papers and on traditional news websites. That's clearly not the case with this yarn, which has generated a lot of stories. (Although admittedly most of them are the same generic Canadian Press-generated article. But at least it's there.)

Derringer story on news websites

August 9, 2022 3:06 pm  #6

Not so sure that there would be much of a severance in this case.

August 9, 2022 3:43 pm  #7

https://twitter.com/JennValentyne/status/1557033059685384193?t=XzPMrnrnIG3jr8SsLYU5Pw&s=19

burying John's exit during the dog days of August is classic, and entirely in keeping with Q107 and their "brand"

August 9, 2022 3:50 pm  #8

Derringer had to go, but I do wonder what will happen to management involved here on the coverup for years.  It has been mentioned that management had been aware of this issue and only now under public pressure, they did something.   Corus also needs to address the management involved in this case, but sadly I think they are going to hope the lightning rod in this case makes it all go away now that he is gone.   I hope the victims here keep the pressure on and ensure things don't just get brushed under the rug.    

Last edited by radiokid (August 9, 2022 3:50 pm)

August 9, 2022 6:56 pm  #9

There are rumours Corus paid Derringer $6 to $8 million to close out his contract. "Derringer Pay" indeed. 

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/john-derringer-finished-at-q-107-amid-investigation

August 9, 2022 7:28 pm  #10

Hansa wrote:

There are rumours Corus paid Derringer $6 to $8 million to close out his contract. "Derringer Pay" indeed. 

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/john-derringer-finished-at-q-107-amid-investigation

You might be morally in the right to fire someone "with cause" but the problem is you have to prove it.  That could get expensive and time consuming and god knows what other festering piles it might uncover.

Sometimes, it's cheaper to just hand someone a big wad of cash to make them go away.

August 9, 2022 8:35 pm  #11

I wonder if / when he’ll speak publicly about his departure and how it came about.

He doesn’t strike me as the type to go away quietly, unless there’s an NDA in effect.

August 9, 2022 8:38 pm  #12

Peter the K wrote:

Hansa wrote:

You might be morally in the right to fire someone "with cause" but the problem is you have to prove it.  That could get expensive and time consuming and god knows what other festering piles it might uncover.

Sometimes, it's cheaper to just hand someone a big wad of cash to make them go away.

Because of their own potential liability, I suspect Corus management wants this to go away as quickly as possible. Paying off someone is a quick way to do it. Not saying they did, but it does bring it all to an end that much sooner. 

August 10, 2022 12:50 am  #13

radiokid wrote:

Derringer had to go, but I do wonder what will happen to management involved here on the coverup for years.  It has been mentioned that management had been aware of this issue and only now under public pressure, they did something.   Corus also needs to address the management involved in this case, but sadly I think they are going to hope the lightning rod in this case makes it all go away now that he is gone.   I hope the victims here keep the pressure on and ensure things don't just get brushed under the rug.    

Moat of the execs involved are gone from Corus.

August 10, 2022 3:26 am  #14

Radiowiz wrote:

It's funny, because originally Q rejected Derringer as a morning host. 
He went to Fan for a bit, then Q picked him up.
I'm glad he is gone.
I hope a better morning show will air soon.
I also hope it's a local morning show and not something airing all over Ontario.
(or other places for that matter)

I changed my mind. Taz and Jim in the morning on Q for the win!  
(&Y...& FM 96...&...?)
The money saved is incredible, & the return on the investment is spectacular!!!!!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 10, 2022 7:12 am  #15

Definitely weird to hear John Moore talking about Q107 on CFRB Wednesday morning. This kind of story is one of the few where naming a competitor - who was on against you in your own time slot no less - is OK, when it's usually a no-no in any other circumstance. 

What was very odd about Moore's comments, to me, was he took special pains to talk about how "a woman" came forward with allegations about Derringer, and never once mentioned Jennifer Valentyne by name, although she's an integral part of this sad story. He did play a clip by his friend Maureen Holloway, who also had run-ins with Derringer, and that seemed to be OK. 

All in all, just a real unfortunate tale all the way around, but a fascinating one that has now come to an end in all but one way - the naming of a new morning host or hosts for the station. I doubt Moore will be talking about that when it happens! 

August 10, 2022 11:00 am  #16

Peter the K wrote:

Hansa wrote:

Yes. Additionally, this behaviour went on for years with no consequence. JD's lawyers could easily argue that he had no inclination to believe he'd ever violated any company policy or standard.

August 10, 2022 11:10 am  #17

So far, I've heard this story reported on CFRB, CBC, CFTO and even Corus-owned Global TV.

Can't say for sure that they never reported it, but I haven't come across a single word about Derringer's exit on AM 640. This kind of story would normally be huge fodder for their talk shows - a male media star allegedly abusing the females he works with and then leaving the company. They certainly talked a lot about the Ghomeshi case. 

But I'm guessing the instructions are out to give this one a wide berth.

And so far, they have. 

August 10, 2022 5:36 pm  #18

...........and never to be heard from again

August 10, 2022 6:24 pm  #19

Corus’ legendary innovation strikes again. Normally it’s the victims who get a big payout.

Last edited by Hammy (August 10, 2022 6:25 pm)

August 11, 2022 10:37 am  #20

Seeing images of Derringer's face, he doesnt appear to be humble or nice at all.   You can see it in the eyes. 

August 11, 2022 10:58 am  #21

markow202 wrote:

he doesn't appear to be humble or nice       
You can see it in the eyes. 

"Hungry Eyes" by Eric Carmen, peaked #4 on Billboard in 1988

August 11, 2022 2:10 pm  #22

Personally, I stopped listening to Q107 after Craig Venn left the morning show. As Logan Roy would say, Derringer can phuck off. 

August 11, 2022 4:03 pm  #23

RadioActive wrote:

Peter the K wrote:

Hansa wrote:

Because of their own potential liability, I suspect Corus management wants this to go away as quickly as possible. Paying off someone is a quick way to do it. Not saying they did, but it does bring it all to an end that much sooner. 

Absolutely... Corus wants nothing more than for this to be over...  except, that it is not....  

As a complaint has been previously filed with the Canadian Human Rights Commission, that complaint will have to be investigated. If it is deemed to have merit, Corus will then have to prepare to go before the Canadian Human Rights commission.... 

It won't matter if any of the previous levels of manglement  (managers / directors / executives) who had knowledge of the situation over the years are no longer with the corporation.